Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla 3 point charge cable waterproof?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone know if the branded Tesla 3-pin charge cable is waterproof? I'm thinking particularly of the bulky end bit that lights up when you plug it in. First time I've plugged it into a outdoor garden wall socket so just wondered if I can leave it out in the rain OK.

Cheers

I was looking at buying extension cables and all the other day and came across a few people talking about using one of these: Masterplug Weatherproof Box

I have one of these Master Plug boxes and as a test put the Tesla mobile charger in to it, and can confirm that it fits in just fine.

But as simple answer to your question, no, sorry I am not too sure if its water proof or not. :rolleyes:

You won’t be able to leave it exposed in rain I don’t think but it’s at least splash proof. The cable should be long enough to put the bulky unit underneath the car though and you’d need to ensure the plug is protected.

According to the Gen 1 US version instructions, not really...

Do not use the Mobile Connector when either you, the vehicle or the Mobile Connector is exposed to severe rain, snow, electrical storm or other inclement weather

1627585461508.png

Source:: https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/blog_attachments/ms_mobile_connector_guide.pdf

Without having specific instructions for UK Gen 2, I think you must assume the same, which is inline with various comments made on this forum past and present.

The European one is rated IP55.

Not sure why it is only IP55 as the US one is NEMA 4X rated which is IP66. But even if it is just IP55 then it can withstand a low pressure water jet directly aimed at it, just not high pressure or submerged, so it is fine outside in the rain.
Although it's fairly well documented on here and elsewhere that Tesla won't replace them with water damage cos they don't consider them weatherproof or waterproof... I know plenty of people on forums and Facebook claimed to have theirs out in all weather for months or years, which is great, until it isn't. In a pinch I'd shelter under the car raised off the ground with a rock or brick. Like the poster above though I've bought a large Dribox for mine to sit in if/when needed (which is only in genuine emergency). Yes, I know that in turn probably raises a whole other debate about heat dissipation...

cheers everyone. I ended up gaffer taping a plastic bag around the block at the end of the charger near the wall socket. It's worked fine over the last 24 hours. Elon Musk would envy the tech solutions we come up with to make his products work :cool:

• Funny
Reactions: Cnixon