Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla 3 point charge cable waterproof?

Anyone know if the branded Tesla 3-pin charge cable is waterproof? I'm thinking particularly of the bulky end bit that lights up when you plug it in. First time I've plugged it into a outdoor garden wall socket so just wondered if I can leave it out in the rain OK.

Cheers

According to the Gen 1 US version instructions, not really...

Do not use the Mobile Connector when either you, the vehicle or the Mobile Connector is exposed to severe rain, snow, electrical storm or other inclement weather

1627585461508.png

Source:: https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/blog_attachments/ms_mobile_connector_guide.pdf

Without having specific instructions for UK Gen 2, I think you must assume the same, which is inline with various comments made on this forum past and present.

MrT3

Jun 26, 2021
UK
Reactions: Tom Tes
The European one is rated IP55.

Not sure why it is only IP55 as the US one is NEMA 4X rated which is IP66. But even if it is just IP55 then it can withstand a low pressure water jet directly aimed at it, just not high pressure or submerged, so it is fine outside in the rain.
Although it's fairly well documented on here and elsewhere that Tesla won't replace them with water damage cos they don't consider them weatherproof or waterproof... I know plenty of people on forums and Facebook claimed to have theirs out in all weather for months or years, which is great, until it isn't. In a pinch I'd shelter under the car raised off the ground with a rock or brick. Like the poster above though I've bought a large Dribox for mine to sit in if/when needed (which is only in genuine emergency). Yes, I know that in turn probably raises a whole other debate about heat dissipation...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC