Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla 3: Second drive unit failure in under a year

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
"2 drive failures in 6000 miles is terrible, how is that reliable?" Very simple. THAT car has had one specific problem twice. That's not very good. But that tells us nothing about the other 999,999 Teslas. Nor about how THIS car will be doing over the next few years. There are about a million Teslas on the road. We, here, have no idea how many motor drives have failed overall. So there's nothing we can say about the failure rate. And "reliability" is all about numbers.

Now, the number of components in a Model 3 is much smaller than in a traditional car -- that's far fewer failure points. And the surveys are clear: Teslas have one of the highest overall satisfaction ratings.

But people love to bitch, and it seems quite fashionable to put companies down. We hear about 1 mm misalignments in panels and little paint defects on delivery, and that gets a LOT of press, so new owners are out there with their calipers and magnifying glasses. We've all heard about a couple dozen 12 volt batteries having to be replaced, and some people rushing to install substitutes, just in case. And about one or two main batteries burning up. Out of hundreds of thousands of Model 3s. And the display memory cards and the door handles on the oldest Model S's wearing out. And the guy getting decapitated under a truck in AP mode, and another hitting a divider. We get all the bad news, in bold print. And all about how Tesla is about to go bankrupt, and the stock is worthless. It stands to reason that if many people were having serious problems we wouldn't hear the end of it. But instead, Teslas are selling like hot cakes, word of mouth, people love 'em, and the company is doing great.

Most directly, I can only speak for myself, and the people I know. My 2018 Model 3 hardware has been solid, no issues. Friends and neighbors aren't having problems either. But ask me in 8-10 years, I'll know more. I expect my car to be running fine then, with about an 8-12% loss of range. Could I be wrong? Sure. We'll see. But nothing so far suggests we're driving an "unreliable car".

Your rose colored glasses are very strong, where can I get some?

A "couple dozen" 12v failures? Hell, I've seen a couple dozen just on the Houston Owner's FB page, lol.

Just because some people spread FUD doesn't mean that the rest of the experiences aren't accurate. The "forums exist for people to bitch" excuse is an old one, and IMO, not all that accurate.

Reactions: cwerdna
Ok, a dozen 12 volt batteries on forum W, another dozen on forums X, Y and Z, out of, what, 700,000 model 3s? That's POS territory? What's the failure rate on that type of 12 volt battery on average in the wild?

"Your rose colored glasses are very strong, where can I get some?"

The rose colored tint rubbed off from my Model 3, from the overall experience. Of course *hit happens. And it should be analyzed, repaired, corrected. But as an engineer in a brand new company, if I had a million units out there that I'd designed and had that low a level of problems, I'd be mighty proud. It's not even close to half-full half-empty. I don't understand the growlers, the lurking aggregators of misfortune. And I don't think pumping the OP with more anxiety is even ethical.

OP tell us what happened when you picked up your car, please.

Last edited:
Given the profile picture, I assume this is an M3P? If it is, that particular rear drive unit has been more problematic in the 2018s. I believe some 2019s had issues too. Sadly, it's not too much of a surprise you had a failure although it's fairly rare these days. Having 2 fail so close to each other? That's very rare. From what little I have gathered researching these, they have been steadily upgraded over time. Maybe they had replaced it with an older model? Just guessing here.

Last edited:
As repeatedly stated before, there are no valid lemon law claims to be made in this case. Tesla will replace the drive unit under warranty.

Thanks for the repeated education however, I was merely stating that lemon laws are an option on its face, not that he had a case.. I'm not giving free legal advice. Anyways, I have asserted my lemon law rights in the past in California, so knew they were on the books for the state - so to speak.

We received our Tesla 3 last Dec/Jan, and just had the rear drive unit fail for the second time. This time, it failed on the highway, creating a dangerous driving situation for us.

First time, Tesla said, 'oh, extremely rare, will not happen again.' No one is returning my calls this time :-/.

We use it for infrequent commuting and it has 6K miles on it. Would love to hear others' perspectives on this. So disappointed in our lemon.
It just happened to my 2021 Model 3 SR+. , it died just 1 minute out of the tunnel in rush hour Vancouver. They towed it away and parts won’t be available until July 6! I’ve had the car 3 months.

Reactions: hcdavis3
We received our Tesla 3 last Dec/Jan, and just had the rear drive unit fail for the second time. This time, it failed on the highway, creating a dangerous driving situation for us.

First time, Tesla said, 'oh, extremely rare, will not happen again.' No one is returning my calls this time :-/.

We use it for infrequent commuting and it has 6K miles on it. Would love to hear others' perspectives on this. So disappointed in our lemon.
What kind of warning did you get?

My rear drive unit filled before three years. This seems to be a very frequent occurrence for many people. This major failure is to be considered a manufacturing defect and we should all ask Tesla to extend warranty on front and rear driving units Beyond 10 years and 400,000 miles.
I think we should all get together and ask Tesla to extend warranty and also ask federal governments office responsible to get this accomplished.

My rear drive unit filled before three years. This seems to be a very frequent occurrence for many people. This major failure is to be considered a manufacturing defect and we should all ask Tesla to extend warranty on front and rear driving units Beyond 10 years and 400,000 miles.
I think we should all get together and ask Tesla to extend warranty and also ask federal governments office responsible to get this accomplished.
BS that's its a "very frequent occurrence for many people"...the reality is its a VERY infrequent occurrence for VERY few people. If it happened so much and to so many the forums would be full of it...the forum is NOT full of these stories about drive unit failure!

I really hope you’re joking. If not, please tell me what other cars you have owned that provided you with a drivetrain warranty “beyond 10 years and 400k miles.”

Mine has just had a second drive fail. Plus it's has a new hv battery too. How did your resolve it?

Mine had just had its 2nd failure (12,000km). It's also had a new hv battery. How did it resolve itself for you?

Rear drive unit failed on 2018 with 15k miles.
Got 'Vehicle may not restart Service is required' message and made svc appt.
1st available appt. was 3 weeks out. Got same message a 2nd time. The car never failed before the svc appt.

Took delivery last night of my Tesla 2 LR we did not even get out of the parking lot the screen showed an alert power train failure. The car has 2 miles on it. They gave us a loaner 3 for now until the techs get in on Monday waiting to hear out 2019 SR 3 we traded never had any issues