Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla 3 SR+ New Tires in SoCal

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Been researching quite a bit - seems lots of good reviews for the Michelin tire crossclimate tires when I called Discount Tire they said that is more of a winter tire and not needed in LA, Cali. Is that true? I do go up to BIg Bear occasionally in the winter so made need - but is there a better tire for warm climates people recommend? Not looking for performance just a safe, well lasting, good on mileage, quiet tire.

The Michelin CrossClimate 2 has the 3-peak-mountain-snowflake rating that indicates better snow performance than most all-season tires, which have only the M+S rating.

For non-winter performance, it is targeted to a market looking for the similar general level of sportiness as the Primacy series (i.e. more sporty than the Defender, less sporty than the Pilot in Michelin's branding), and generally gets good ratings compared to its market segment in outside testing. However, rolling resistance is generally regarded as being higher than most OEM tires, so expect some penalty in economy and range if you choose them. But a good performing non-winter tire with the 3-peak-mountain-snowflake rating may be a good choice for drives to the snow areas, where most of the drive is non-snow (where dedicated winter tires would perform poorly and wear out quickly) before getting to the snow area.

Perhaps the ideal tire for your situation may have been the now-discontinued Vredestein Quatrac 5, which had similar attributes but also low rolling resistance for better economy and range. Unfortunately, its successor Quatrac Pro has higher rolling resistance.