Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla 3 Windshield pits/stone chips? Is it softer glass than other cars?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

So I am rather depressed right now, iv only driven my brand new model 3 300km and this truck was dropping a bunch of sand/stones on the high way, I stayed back and then tried to get around him in the other lane (so where others) and in doing so I seem to have small windshield pits (they are like micro stone chips and 3 of them are in my vision).

My other car (Mitsubishi Ralliart) iv had for many years, had many trucks ,stone, flung at the car etc (9 years) and they don't leave really any traces...

Is there something in the Tesla 3 windshield that makes it like soft or something that takes more impact than other windscreens?

How are other peoples Teslas windscreens fairing?

Luckily I have glass insurance, but it really isn't enough to warrant replacing the entire windshield as they are so minor but just noticeable when focusing on the glass and looking through in the light.

I am so bummed out right now, and also my detailer noticed their was stone chips in the front paint

arrggggg!!

I doubt tesla make the glass or windshield in-house, but happy to be corrected. Hence it is likely the same glass is on multiple brands. It still sucks though. The paint is rubbish, but all new cars are as they all now use water based paint for environmental reasons. You have to get a coating, either ceramic or a film, if you want some hope of protecting it.

Having said that my car has had some worryingly loud stone hits on the windscreen and it is holding up pretty well.

Same. I’ve had quite a few stones hit my windscreen with a disturbingly loud crack, but no damage that I can see. One did hit hard enough to take a chunk out, I had it resin repaired the same day, good as new.

When I had the model 3 I felt the windscreens were very soft and seemed too easily chipped and cracked. I suspect the very low ride height contributed to this being a rock magnet as well. I had the windscreen replaced within the first 6 weeks due to chips and cracks. I am careful about not travelling too close and extra careful near road works and newly sealed roads etc. There is certainly a measure of luck and randomness about it all as well. Much prefer the ride height of the Y

Hi,

So I am rather depressed right now, iv only driven my brand new model 3 300km and this truck was dropping a bunch of sand/stones on the high way, I stayed back and then tried to get around him in the other lane (so where others) and in doing so I seem to have small windshield pits (they are like micro stone chips and 3 of them are in my vision).

Did the dashcam pick it up? I think that meets the definition of an unsecured load, and technically the truck driver is responsible. Might be worth asking your insurer.

Reactions: dronus
Did the dashcam pick it up? I think that meets the definition of an unsecured load, and technically the truck driver is responsible. Might be worth asking your insurer.
Unfortunately, I didn't honk and it didn't auto capture it (I think it only captures 1 last trip) and I drove it home and it wasnt there.

These are pin size chips on the surface and just happens to be right in front of my driving vision, if I focus on the glass I see it, but driving its not visible. Just frustrated that its happened on my 300km Tesla 3. :'(

Reactions: dronus
When I had the model 3 I felt the windscreens were very soft and seemed too easily chipped and cracked. I suspect the very low ride height contributed to this being a rock magnet as well. I had the windscreen replaced within the first 6 weeks due to chips and cracks. I am careful about not travelling too close and extra careful near road works and newly sealed roads etc. There is certainly a measure of luck and randomness about it all as well. Much prefer the ride height of the Y

:( Where did you get your glass replaced? and what paint colour did you have?

Unfortunately, I didn't honk and it didn't auto capture it (I think it only captures 1 last trip) and I drove it home and it wasnt there.

These are pin size chips on the surface and just happens to be right in front of my driving vision, if I focus on the glass I see it, but driving its not visible. Just frustrated that its happened on my 300km Tesla 3. :'(
There are a number of Windscreen repair kits that can effectively fill small chips like what you describe.

I doubt tesla make the glass or windshield in-house, but happy to be corrected. Hence it is likely the same glass is on multiple brands. It still sucks though. The paint is rubbish, but all new cars are as they all now use water based paint for environmental reasons. You have to get a coating, either ceramic or a film, if you want some hope of protecting it.
Tesla paint is extra-soft. We have a Ford truck that drives the same roads and the paint is PERFECT, while we finally spent a fortune for PPF and ceramic on teh Tesla because the pain is a mess AND stickier if that makes sense--the same dirt wipes off the Ford and needs three washings to come off the Tesla. And yeah, cracked windshield now needs a 4-hr drive (each way) to get replaced. Get this--local guys want 2500 for it, Tesla does it for $1400!

Reactions: Eeen