Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla 3 Windshield pits/stone chips? Is it softer glass than other cars?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
am so bummed out right now, and also my detailer noticed their was stone chips in the front paint
I feel for you.

Thats why I went with PPF on the front as soon as I got MY. Expensive but valuable protection with so much painted space facing forward.
and trucks these days seem to drop so much more crap than I remember from the olden days (when “the world was black and white” as my son says)

Reactions: dronus
I feel for you.

Thats why I went with PPF on the front as soon as I got MY. Expensive but valuable protection with so much painted space facing forward.
and trucks these days seem to drop so much more crap than I remember from the olden days (when “the world was black and white” as my son says)
Grab a cup of tea or Bonox, it’s story time with Dronus.

Once (many moons ago) while driving in the early morning a truck with a big rubbish skip in front of me dropped a large chunk of metal which lodged in my company car bonnet. I’d like to think my bonnet did the cyclist next to me a favour.

I took down the truck companies name and the rego, and when I got to work I called them to see what they were going to do about it.

To my surprise their answer was “the contracted driver is not responsible for the load as we have a waiver which holds the person who loaded it responsible”

I suggested that you can’t make up waivers that contravene the road rules but they were pretty convinced they could, and wouldn’t tell me who loaded the skip either.

Now the thing is, I was in a work car, on work time, and my employer was a multinational chemical company with really expensive lawyers. Can you see where this is going?

I passed on the details and photos (taken on my Nokia 3310 probably!) to them.

That afternoon when I went back to the office there was a hire car waiting for me, and a tow truck waiting to take my work car to the repair place.

Turns out after the legal people passed the details on to police “some change of processes” took place at the truck company and they paid for the repairs.

I see it a lot too, especially on Adelaide’s “expressways” .. trucks driving along at 80-100kmh with large rocks and stones both falling out of the back and flicking out from underneath where they have been driving in dirt I guess. Really sucks to be behind them, either directly or 20 mins later when those rocks get flicked up again by someone else. And usually some idiot won’t overtake them so everyone else gets stuck back there getting bombarded like someone shaking a gumball machine.

One of my other pet peeves is when cars don’t stay in the lanes, they drive over the outer lines, especially on corners, flicking up all the dirt debris and pubes onto people behind them while they are blissfully aware and probably listening to Taylor Swift.

Yeah, from memory there's some sort of rule, at least in some states, where it depends if something falls off the truck and hits your car directly or if it hits the road first and then your car. IMHO it should be that if it comes off the truck and you can prove it, they are responsible.

One of my other pet peeves is when cars don’t stay in the lanes, they drive over the outer lines, especially on corners, flicking up all the dirt debris and pubes onto people behind them while they are blissfully aware and probably listening to Taylor Swift.
Yes, that's one of mine too! Especially on AP you notice it even more because you are so steady in your lane and the guy next to you is weaving all over the place and crossing into your lane.

Reactions: elddum and dronus
Yeah, from memory there's some sort of rule, at least in some states, where it depends if something falls off the truck and hits your car directly or if it hits the road first and then your car. IMHO it should be that if it comes off the truck and you can prove it, they are responsible.

Yes, that's one of mine too! Especially on AP you notice it even more because you are so steady in your lane and the guy next to you is weaving all over the place and crossing into your lane.
In SA it is a penalty to have an unsafe load. Something falling off a truck makes it unsafe, and the one most do not realise is undersized tie downs are also unsafe. So a rope over the trailer without a load rating on it is likely to get you a penalty if there is a bored police person around.

Reactions: elddum and Jules22
Grab a cup of tea or Bonox, it’s story time with Dronus.

Once (many moons ago) while driving in the early morning a truck with a big rubbish skip in front of me dropped a large chunk of metal which lodged in my company car bonnet. I’d like to think my bonnet did the cyclist next to me a favour.

I took down the truck companies name and the rego, and when I got to work I called them to see what they were going to do about it.

To my surprise their answer was “the contracted driver is not responsible for the load as we have a waiver which holds the person who loaded it responsible”

I suggested that you can’t make up waivers that contravene the road rules but they were pretty convinced they could, and wouldn’t tell me who loaded the skip either.

Now the thing is, I was in a work car, on work time, and my employer was a multinational chemical company with really expensive lawyers. Can you see where this is going?

I passed on the details and photos (taken on my Nokia 3310 probably!) to them.

That afternoon when I went back to the office there was a hire car waiting for me, and a tow truck waiting to take my work car to the repair place.

Turns out after the legal people passed the details on to police “some change of processes” took place at the truck company and they paid for the repairs.

I see it a lot too, especially on Adelaide’s “expressways” .. trucks driving along at 80-100kmh with large rocks and stones both falling out of the back and flicking out from underneath where they have been driving in dirt I guess. Really sucks to be behind them, either directly or 20 mins later when those rocks get flicked up again by someone else. And usually some idiot won’t overtake them so everyone else gets stuck back there getting bombarded like someone shaking a gumball machine.

This is why in SA you will now rarely see a skip bin on a truck that is not covered. The driver and no-one else is responsible for their truck. I’ve had them pull stuff out of a skip because they consider it too risky for transit on top.

Reactions: elddum and dronus
This is why in SA you will now rarely see a skip bin on a truck that is not covered. The driver and no-one else is responsible for their truck. I’ve had them pull stuff out of a skip because they consider it too risky for transit on top.
Its good to see that these rules have been put in place.
Paint damage is one thing but other drivers/motorcyclists and pedestrians getting whacked by something falling off an unsecure load isnt cool.

One would hope that one day if a truck is going down the freeway with rocks falling off, a police car is behind them and reminds them of their obligations :)

Reactions: elddum and paulp