Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla 3rd Party DC Chargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For European, it's easy since everything basically can use either CCS2 or Chademo now.

It's harder in the US, since Tesla still has their proprietary charger standard which they don't seem to be working with other people to manufacture. I think Setec (who make the current US CCS1 Tesla third-party adapter) makes a 30 kW station for Tesla, but I don't know how good it is:

Other than that, EVGo installs stations with all three types, using a modified Tesla Chademo adapter built into their stations, or you'd need to get Tesla to install a Supercharger plus another company to install the CCS/Cademo (which I think FLO, EVGo, Electrify America, Greenlots, Chargepoint, and others will quote options for installing and managing).

Reactions: cwerdna
Run a business in a coastal town with many EV's No DC fast charge. Would like to include CCS, Chademo and Tesla albeit it would be 50 from what I have seen with the adapters.

Would like to know if any US or European Chargers support 3 formats?

In Europe, if you watch some Bjørn Nyland videos, there are some DC superchargers location in Norway supporting on the same piedestal all the 3 plugs.
Note: Bjørn Nyland even drove a Chinese EV with a GB/T plug. I beleive that he was able to use a home AC CHAdeMO charger, but not a DC CHAdeMO.

In US, there was mention of EVgo making the three standards. As a matter of fact, I noticed recently that the following location got a Tesla DC plug.:

The EVgo webpage mention: [ STEVE ] "CHAdeMO + Tesla" 50 kW, but I didn't tested the speed.​

Other than that, EVGo installs stations with all three types, using a modified Tesla Chademo adapter built into their stations
Yep.

I put up a video of what that looks like EVgo reportedly adding Tesla plugs to their DC fast chargers. That site has 2 BTC "Fatboy" DC FCs each originally Combo1 flavor of CCS (aka SAE Combo aka CCS1 aka J1772 CCS) + CHAdeMO but now also having a CHAdeMO to Tesla adapter w/long cable bolted onto their sides.

EVgo reportedly adding Tesla plugs to their DC fast chargers has EVgo claiming they've passed installing 400 of these.

It's admirable to want to host your own DC fast charger, but "going it alone" on a "quantity one" basis is probably not economically feasible from both an equipment cost and possibly an operational cost point of view. Of course every situation is different, but not only would there be a significant investment in the actual charger and potentially upgraded/dedicated electrical service, but potential demand charges might outweigh any economic benefit you see from drawing in customers to your business, without being able to recoup some of that cost through some kind of billing arrangement, which again, is difficult for a one-off installation.

That said, I would back up a few steps and make sure the full decision tree that led you to a DC fast charger solution was followed. Is it possible that a bank of L2 chargers might not be more appropriate than say a single DC fast charger, which in the future might get a negative reputation as not being available when needed (I know that counting on a single, isolated DC fast charger is very risky, particularly in an area where it might be the only one around, and likely in use). Better to get 45 minutes of an L2 charge than 0 minutes of a 50kW DC fast charger because there was a line of 2 cars ahead of you.

But let's say that this was well thought-out, and yes, a DC fast charger is the way to go. Why not partner with one of the existing providers to host one of their sites? They can take advantage of their volume purchase agreements for the hardware and manage the back-end billing and operational details, and you can benefit from being on their network. As for compatibility, most of the DC fast chargers installed now are dual format (CCS and CHAdeMO), and to support Tesla you would simply buy a Tesla CHAdeMO adapter for your Tesla patrons to use (hopefully CCS in the future).

Not aware of any three handled chargers.
Revel in Brooklyn have put in the dual interface Tritium CCS1/CHAdeMO units.

And then permanently attached the Tesla adapter to most of the CHAdeMO stations.
So effectively creating a CCS1/Tesla and CCS1/CHAdeMO site.

Not aware of any three handled chargers.
Revel in Brooklyn have put in the dual interface Tritium CCS1/CHAdeMO units.

And then permanently attached the Tesla adapter to most of the CHAdeMO stations.
So effectively creating a CCS1/Tesla and CCS1/CHAdeMO site.
ABB makes 50kW stations that can be configured with 1, 2, or 3 cables in Europe. The third cable is AC Type-2 at 22kW or 43kW. Cars like the original Renault Zoe could use the 43kW AC cable.

In the States, the most common 3 connector setup is as you mentioned, a permanently attached Tesla CHAdeMO adapter fitted with a long Tesla cable.