Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla 3rd Party Extended Warranty

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I noticed there are extended warranty threads on the various models, but it seems that there should be a model agnostic thread since the extended warranties aka "service contracts" usually cover all the models.

I purchased an X-care (aka Xcare, Xcellerate) extended warranty service contract on my 2016 Model X. I purchased it last year after summer, so the policy is around 9 months old now. It is a 7 year policy that ends when my X reaches 150K miles or 11/2028. It is mostly bumper to bumper other than battery pack, drive unit (which is so far still covered by Tesla), and body moulding trim/door seals and glass. So it is basically going to be used for the things that do tend to fail like falcon doors, handles, actuators, MCU, AC (which is what my current claim is about), and various other ECU's.

Now that I have a claim, my first, I will document how it goes. Stay tuned. I will preview that it is not going smoothly so far, but will wait a few days to start to document the timeline. It appears there could be a "crickets" issue. But, we will see.

One thing that concerns me is that the X-care people decided to use Endurance as their administrator. When I initiated my claim, I received an email from endurance so that is how I know that is who I am dealing with. I double checked the address and it matches with this Endurance out of Illinois. I saw their BBB profile, and I am concerned, not for myself (I can get a pro-rated refund of my contract and it just started), but I am concerned at the business practices and how Endurance is treating its customers.

Some of these customers are not able to self-insure or even deal with the type of hardcore interpretation of the warranty Endurance is applying. They appear to be doing everything they possibly can to deny claims, and it seems to go to the extreme to the point where I don't feel comfortable supporting such a company.

This is the BBB thread, and notice there is a huge surge of complaints just in the last 3 months-

Thoughts?

Last edited:
I purchased an X-care (aka Xcare, Xcellerate) extended warranty service contract on my 2016 Model X. I purchased it last year after summer, so the policy is around 9 months old now. It is a 7 year policy that ends when my X reaches 150K miles or 11/2028. It is mostly bumper to bumper other than battery pack, drive unit (which is so far still covered by Tesla), and body moulding trim/door seals and glass. So it is basically going to be used for the things that do tend to fail like falcon doors, handles, actuators, MCU, AC (which is what my current claim is about), and various other ECU's.

Now that I have a claim, my first, I will document how it goes. Stay tuned. I will preview that it is not going smoothly so far, but will wait a few days to start to document the timeline. It appears there could be a "crickets" issue. But, we will see.

One thing that concerns me is that the X-care people decided to use Endurance as their administrator. When I initiated my claim, I received an email from endurance so that is how I know that is who I am dealing with. I double checked the address and it matches with this Endurance out of Illinois. I saw their BBB profile, and I am concerned, not for myself (I can get a pro-rated refund of my contract and it just started), but I am concerned at the business practices and how Endurance is treating its customers.

Some of these customers are not able to self-insure or even deal with the type of hardcore interpretation of the warranty Endurance is applying. They appear to be doing everything they possibly can to deny claims, and it seems to go to the extreme to the point where I don't feel comfortable supporting such a company.

This is the BBB thread, and notice there is a huge surge of complaints just in the last 3 months-

Thoughts?
Happy to address. Endurance is our administrative partner, but we at XCare have complete control over claims and denials/approvals. Endurance is a very large company, and as such have lots of lines of VSCs (vehicle service contracts) that they administer, but for XCare they simply handle our admin support.
We have trained personnel inside EDS that help with all of our EV clientele, who understand EVs and their differences, but also understand the Tesla Service model and our unique way of working around this rather low touch environment. Appreciate the consideration, and we will ensure your experience is a good one. Brent

The first problem I ran into was when dropping off the car I let the service advisor know I had an extended warranty, and his smile quickly turned into a frown and said "that's between you and the warranty, Tesla doesn't get involved."

The claims process states Tesla has to call in for authorization, and then Xcare/Endurance has to authorize and then when it is time to pickup the car, Tesla has to call again for payment. The Tesla guy wasn't interested in making either call. After asking why, he said they have had bad luck with 3rd party warranty companies denying claims, and wasting their time. We didn't get into names of companies, I just left it there.

I tried to call the guy who my claim was assigned to three times that day, and each time went to voicemail. I sent several emails and none of them were answered over the span of a couple of days and then the weekend hit, and their office is closed over the weekend. I'm sure Tesla would be thrilled to pay phone tag for approvals and authorizations and payment. They are already swamped as it is. There is a reason Tesla doesn't even answer (or really publish) their phone number.

This process seems clunky since neither party answers their phone.

The secondary process is to pay for repairs out of pocket and then hope they cover it and send a check. We will see how that goes.

Since it sounds like you are having a few challenges, perhaps you should PM Xcare here with specifics of your situation / claim number etc and see if they can help you.

Note that this isnt a moderator note, nor am I attempting to suppress any conversation here (if I wanted to do that I would just remove / edit posts etc). I am just suggesting that since you ran into a challenge there, perhaps xcare here can help get you situated and you can report out on how that goes (or doesnt)?

Reactions: Khashoggi
The first problem I ran into was when dropping off the car I let the service advisor know I had an extended warranty, and his smile quickly turned into a frown and said "that's between you and the warranty, Tesla doesn't get involved."

The claims process states Tesla has to call in for authorization, and then Xcare/Endurance has to authorize and then when it is time to pickup the car, Tesla has to call again for payment. The Tesla guy wasn't interested in making either call. After asking why, he said they have had bad luck with 3rd party warranty companies denying claims, and wasting their time. We didn't get into names of companies, I just left it there.

I tried to call the guy who my claim was assigned to three times that day, and each time went to voicemail. I sent several emails and none of them were answered over the span of a couple of days and then the weekend hit, and their office is closed over the weekend. I'm sure Tesla would be thrilled to pay phone tag for approvals and authorizations and payment. They are already swamped as it is. There is a reason Tesla doesn't even answer (or really publish) their phone number.

This process seems clunky since neither party answers their phone.

The secondary process is to pay for repairs out of pocket and then hope they cover it and send a check. We will see how that goes.
This has been escalated, and apparently was approved on Friday for payment. Our VP of Sales will be reaching out to you shortly. We are constantly looking for ways to improve process for the best possible customer experience, and appreciate your calling this to our attention so we could rectify the situation. In the future, as with all of our members, please do not hesitate to reach out to me or my colleagues at XCare directly. No member should have to wait for communication, and had I known on Thursday/Friday about this issue I would have personally gotten involved to get you taken care of.
All the best, Brent

Sounds like a stressful process.
I was considering X-Care, now I’m not so sure.
Its not a stressful process at all. I have had it for a couple years now, and have it on a couple cars. I have used it less than a handful of times, but each time was super easy, but sometimes Tesla service really sucks (whether you are in warranty or not). The xcare team can only do so much when Tesla Service decides to shi** the bed in every way they can.

I do admit, im an advocate for these guys and this product. Has been a huge help for me and a lot of others in this community.

Reactions: buckets0fun
XCare is a membership organization dedicated to helping the Tesla/EV community avoid financial hardship during their ownership experience. Mr Khashoggi did reach out to me for help, but his email unfortunately ended in my spam folder and I didn't receive it. All of our members have our direct contact info for any issues/delays/concerns, and I really wish that the gentleman had simply texted me at first sign of issues so I could have intervened. His claim is approved, and payment will be sent, with our apologies for the inconvenience and upset. This is far from the typical experience of our thousands of members.

Reactions: Khashoggi
I will say that Brent did reach out to me in a very friendly and supportive manner, and the email I sent to him last Friday went unnoticed, so that explains that lack off communication. The idea of texting didn't come to mind at the time, which is why I emailed, it is just easier to attach things to an email, and that's what I used to send to Brent at Xcare.

The critique of the process still is something that is on my mind.

The approximate chain of events-

Last Wednesday - My Model X had an AC failure. It was making some strange sounds (but they sometimes do that) but for some reason after parking, and then coming back to the car, this time the AC failure blew the HV bus and made the car refuse to drive. It was late and didn't want to deal with towing the car to a closed Tesla service center, so I tried to arrange a tow in advance with Tesla, they don't do that, so I had to wait until the morning. I followed the instructions on my Xcare service contract and called in the problem and was routed to voicemail and instructed to leave my name and contract number. I did that.

Thursday morning - I arranged for the tow, and while I was busy with the tow truck I received an email and call from the endurance administrator. I was impressed, at the time with the responsiveness. I rode with the tow truck, something I don't usually bother to do, but its Tesla, and you can't call them, and I had to give them info on the failure and the warranty.

I get to Tesla, I'm helped out fast, I told the service advisor about the warranty and as I already stated they didn't want anything to do with it, just have me pay Tesla and deal with the warranty provider myself.

Later that morning I emailed the endurance administrator the preliminary estimate, and asked some questions on how this was going to work after hearing what Tesla had to say to me. I also tried to call the admin guy, three times throughout the day, each call went to voicemail.

Without hearing anything back, I sent a couple of more emails. Meanwhile I had a trip scheduled for Saturday, and asked if Tesla would be done by then, they said they would try since they didn't have any loaners, just the uber credits.

Friday morning rolls around, nothing back from Endurance administrator, no phone calls, no emails, nothing. I email the guy again with big bold letters in the subject to get his attention since the weekend was coming up, and I wanted to know how they were going to pay this claim if he never answers the phone or emails and Tesla doesn't want to deal with it and doesn't answer their phone either.

Also, I sent an email to Brent from Xcare detailing the lack of response from Endurance and what to do. This email, I later found, went to his spam box (which is dangerous obviously if it is set too restrictive, because how is a customer supposed to reach out if there is a problem) and as I was attaching the information I had I used email and didn't think of texting. I just figured Brent would get the email and respond later in the day. That didn't happen, and the car ended up being finished late Friday and was picked up Saturday.

On Monday, I got a couple of snotty emails from the Endurance administrator letting me know he needs a day to respond to emails and reminding me of the hours of their office in Chicago. Yes, thanks for that, I've been to 6 out of 7 continents and know all about timezones, and called well within their business hours, each time went to voicemail. And, all the emails I sent on Thursday, could have been answered one day later, on Friday, but weren't.

I will say, the Xcare guys are nice and polite and helpful and want to make things right. Next time (which hopefully will be never or a long time) I have to use the warranty I will be sure to email Brent and text him to make sure the Endurance people are doing the right thing. But, really this seems like an unnecessary step if you have an administrator that is doing their job properly. But, I guess that is what is needed in this case.

I will close, that I read through several pages of the Endurance BBB complaint, and it made me sick to my stomach in reading the many people that had their claims rejected by Endurance for frivolous reasons, and after reading those I was definitely on edge with the Xcare warranty and on top of that Tesla just wanting nothing to do with it, makes one feel like a persona non grata and that really shouldn't be the case for a $5K warranty, But, that's out of their control I guess.

Hopefully telling my story gives others tips on how to best use their Xcare - Proactively reach out to your Xcare guys once you start the process, because the Endurance administrator, in my opinion, is a mess.

• Disagree
Reactions: EarlyM3Owner
I've been reading some of the comments here and can see that some people had challenging experiences. I am happy to report that my experience with XCare has been positive. I purchased the warranty lat last year after my 2013 model S run out of the extended warranty offered by Tesla.
I just had my first service claim in the last couple of weeks. I am not a small-print guy so I didn't know how it worked. I took the car to service - needed some suspension work- and happily called Xcare when it was time to pick it up. At that point, they informed me that they were not going to participate in the claim given the fact that I didn't get the work approved by them in advance. My bad.
Not wanting to pay $3000 on top of the $5000 extended warranty, I reached out to Brent who told me not to worry, immediately escalated the claim to management, and got the work paid for via credit card directly to the Tesla service center within a couple of days.
I understand that the people answering the phone at the claim department need to follow their procedures, but if you don't go to war, there are ways to reach those that want to stand by their product and come through for their customers.
I am very satisfied with the service and grateful to Brent for his assistance. I would recommend Xcare based on my experience.

Anyone else have any insight on XCare? Looking into it for my car.

Anyone else have any insight on XCare? Looking into it for my car.

I just used it again on my Model S for a door handle replacement. Was super easy. This time, i paid for it since I wanted points. it only takes about a week and a half to get reimbursed. The communication is super clear. Fill an outline form when you have an issue, i get followed up with by the team who works only with Tesla owners, and get approval almost immediately after I send them the estimate.

These guys are doing a hell of a job. Have had XCare on 3 vehicles now.

Reactions: XCare EV
I just used it again on my Model S for a door handle replacement. Was super easy. This time, i paid for it since I wanted points. it only takes about a week and a half to get reimbursed. The communication is super clear. Fill an outline form when you have an issue, i get followed up with by the team who works only with Tesla owners, and get approval almost immediately after I send them the estimate.

These guys are doing a hell of a job. Have had XCare on 3 vehicles now.
Glad we could help! Anyone interested can go to www.xcelerateauto.com/xcare to get more info or to set up coverage. Cheers! Brent @ XCare

So no coverage for HV Battery or drive units? That's my main concern.
A lot of owners are concerned about battery and drive unit coverage, especially if they are nearing the end of the factory coverage.
Statistically, post 2014 Teslas have a very low incidence of battery or drive unit failure, and it is usually due to manufacturer defect, something that usually shakes out in the warranty period if the vehicle sees regular service.
We are releasing battery and drive unit coverage soon, so if you'd like to be on the wait list for info click below:

XCare Battery + Drive Unit Wait List

• Disagree