Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla 4 year service plan - do we need it? Is it worth it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There are lots of threads and discussion on "is it worth it".

It is to a lot of people, and not so much for others. You have to decide for yourself.

Personally, for $475 a year, it's less than any other ICE has cost me in maintenance per year, and it's good knowing that Tesla goes over every inch of the car once a year and fixes anything they might find out of place.

How much would you spend on oil changes, coolant flushes, brakes, alignments, tire rotations on an ICE car every year?

Like I said, some people think it's a good deal (me), and other people think it's a rip-off.

I'm coming up on my 60-day limit, so I raised some questions today with Raleigh service center and here is what they said:

1. I asked about coverage of more than 12,500 annual miles driven: You would come in every 12,500 miles which would give you 4 appointments in the 3 years.

2. Is annual service required under the terms of either my car loan with Chase, or the Resale Value Guarantee?
The annual service is required if you are planning to take advantage of the Resale Value Guarantee.

3. What is the typical waiting time for a service appointment at Raleigh? Tesla’s global goal is within 5 days. For Raleigh, we are booking often times the next day from the call for an appointment.

4. Tire rotations every 5,000 miles are free. You would just give the service team a call to schedule it. They typically perform a courtesy inspection as well to make sure all firmware is updated.

5. Wheel alignment check is included in service plan, and the alignment done, if needed
Maintenance inspections must be performed within 1,000 miles or 30 days of the specified maintenance intervals for selected Plan.

7. Replacement or repair at the time of inspection of normal maintenance items and wear and tear parts, excluding the Battery and tires

Last edited:
I'm coming up on my 60-day limit, so I raised some questions today with Raleigh service center and here is what they said:

60-day limit?

4. Tire rotations every 5,000 miles are free. You would just give the service team a call to schedule it. They typically perform a courtesy inspection as well to make sure all firmware is updated.

As long as you don't have non-OEM wheels or tires. I've been told from Mt. Kisco that they absolutely won't touch non-Tesla wheels or even Tesla wheels with non-stock tires. Other people have had different experiences.

5. Follow-up whether wheel alignment is included in service plan (noted the form says alignment receives a "functional check", but doesn't mention if an alignment is included, if needed). I'll edit this when I get the response.

Alignments are included and it's in the pre-paid service contract.

Unless you live somewhere serviced by rangers instead of an actual service center... then alignments are not included, and last I heard, neither were tire rotations. (which I don't understand, because there's no reason a ranger can't have a jack with them!)

It takes two jacks, or one jack and jack stands and a lot more labor to do tire rotations without a lift, so I can understand that.

A jack and a jack stand is more than a ranger can carry? I'm sorry, that doesn't work as an excuse on that one for me. they do brakes, that requires a jack and a jack stand, so what's the difference?

Uh, did you read what I wrote? I didn't say it was more than they can carry, I said it's a lot of labor and time for one person to rotate tires with one jack and jack stands, so I can understand why a ranger would not do it. But I'm sure you'll find something else to argue about.

Uh, did you read what I wrote? I didn't say it was more than they can carry, I said it's a lot of labor and time for one person to rotate tires with one jack and jack stands, so I can understand why a ranger would not do it. But I'm sure you'll find something else to argue about.
If I'm paying for the service, they should perform it, not say "nah, it's too hard"

Yup. I knew it. It says right in the service plan contract what Rangers will and will not due. Just because you don't agree doesn't change that. If you want those services, go to a service center.
Spoken as someone who lives somewhere within 600miles of a service centre... and don't give me "you shouldn't have bought a car so far from a service centre" we have a Tesla store here, you'd think that's because they want people here to buy the cars!

If they don't want to perform those services, decrease the cost of the plan down to the stuff they'll actually do. I think $50-100 per service would be appropriate if the alignment part on it's own is over $500

Spoken as someone who lives somewhere within 600miles of a service centre... and don't give me "you shouldn't have bought a car so far from a service centre" we have a Tesla store here, you'd think that's because they want people here to buy the cars!

It's entirely YOUR CHOICE to buy the service plan and it's included terms. It's not like it's forced on you. Don't like the terms? Simple. Then don't buy it. Get your wheels rotated any any tire shop or garage, or don't you live near any of those either?

If they don't want to perform those services, decrease the cost of the plan down to the stuff they'll actually do. I think $50-100 per service would be appropriate if the alignment part on it's own is over $500

The alignment, without the service contract, is US$175, I believe. Maybe that is CAN$500 these days.

It's entirely YOUR CHOICE to buy the service plan and it's included terms. It's not like it's forced on you. Don't like the terms? Simple. Then don't buy it. Get your wheels rotated any any tire shop or garage, or don't you live near any of those either?

The alignment, without the service contract, is US$175, I believe. Maybe that is CAN$500 these days.

It's over $400 in New Jersey

The prepaid service agreement is only available for sale to new owners for 60 days after delivery. If you miss that cutoff, and you want service, you pay retail at the time of your appointment. The extended warranty is available until the original warranty expires. ...or at least that is how it was when I purchased my MS on 10/5/2015.

BTW Burt, thanks for your posts on the subject and many others. You've really got me thinking about getting an 8-yr prepaid service plan instead of just 4 which I had never considered until today.