Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla 400h panel, qcell equivalent?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m in the queue for Tesla solar panels (19kW system and 2 powerwalls), awaiting design, have not committed otherwise. I live in Southeast FL. I don’t care for the powerwalls at this time, more a long term goal for hurricane resiliency. If I install this year I can get grandfathered into 1:1 net metering, which further disincentivizes me to pay for a battery now.

The local solar provider bid I received is for a 24kW system comprised of Tesla 400h panels with solaredge power optimizers (no battery). It would be installed with the Tesla racking system.

Does anyone know what the qcell equivalent of the Tesla 400h panel is? are they truly simply rebranded panels? I have seen mention of Blk-g6 on other forums but have been unable to confirm.

(same local contractor has offered option of REC alpha panels at a premium of $0.20/w adder but explicitly does not recommend this)

I don’t fully understand why a local provider would recommend Tesla 400h panels as otherwise Tesla price undercuts them significantly ($2.98/w vs $2.26/w, if separating the $17k powerwall out).

I would like to use the local contractor owing to warranty/CS and am trying to understand how much of a premium this would be over the Tesla install. I don’t perceive the difference in Tesla inverter vs solaredge microinverter to really justify the cost differences between the two systems.

Am I missing something here? Any additional insight would be greatly appreciated

I think that this is really a "what is important to you" question.

If it were me, I would be looking at the odds Tesla goes belly up vs your installer vs the solar panel manufacturer. Two out of three ways, if Tesla goes under, you have a warranty/repair issue. The odds are that your local installer will disappear. Tesla is now big enough, that the remains are likely to turn into another company, like SolarCity to Tesla. Despite the fact that I had a (large) third party company do my solar, I would now do it through Tesla, because I think that they, or their remains will be around in 18 years. I did go with a solar panel manufacturer that will (likely) be around in 25 years for that reason.

You are right to think about customer service; Tesla basically doesn't do much. Then again, they will get solar for $2.26/W, so basically the Powerwalls are free if you are willing to accept minimal customer service.

If you do go the Tesla route, I would push to get the total panels to 24kW as well. It is a huge pain to install more solar later.

All the best,

BG

Reactions: preilly44
Thanks for your comment. I don’t know if the two quotes’ Tesla panels are the same. Assuming they are, a Tesla brand panel, even if installed by a separate party, would still carry the same manufacturer warranty. The main difference would be the labor warranty and overall quality of the work. And the Tesla inverter vs solaredge.

Perhaps any perceived premium for a Tesla branded panel installed by a local contractor is comparable to any similar panel if not identical panel (like qcell).

Looking over the history of solar cells and panels, what is being installed today ranges from very good to very very good, by which I mean unless you buy your panels from some retailer selling panels that dropped off a truck made by a manufacturer that has no website, they are all competing to have the highest efficiency and lifetime. I.e. they are all good.

Warranty only works if the company is still around. There are a bunch of folks with 30 year roofs from a company formerly known as Petersen-Dean that have no effective warranty.

Read more on this site, and you should get a feel for what Tesla does well, and what it doesn't. I think that squeaky wheels are more likely than well oiled ones to post, so if it were me, I would bear that it mind.

All the best,

BG

I just approved a 14.4 KW system with a single Powerwall, a few days ago. It's only been a few days, but unlike when I signed all the docs for my car I've yet to be appointed a contact person. My system is far cheaper then any local provider, but I know it's going to come with very little communication and poor customer service. I feel I'm gambling a little bit, but I wouldn't be able to pay cash with the local provider, so I'm bracing for the Tesla headaches and baking that into the cost.

I just approved a 14.4 KW system with a single Powerwall, a few days ago. It's only been a few days, but unlike when I signed all the docs for my car I've yet to be appointed a contact person. My system is far cheaper then any local provider, but I know it's going to come with very little communication and poor customer service. I feel I'm gambling a little bit, but I wouldn't be able to pay cash with the local provider, so I'm bracing for the Tesla headaches and baking that into the cost.

Save this number. 877-571-7652. Follow the prompts to speak to next available advisor. You dont have to talk to "your" advisor. Anyone that picks that line up will be able to help you. I've called them several times and am always able to get someone on the phone, often with little to no hold time, and they've all been able to help. From design changes, to permit paperwork, to just general questions, etc. I'm 3 weeks from install and so far everything has gone great!

Reactions: mswlogo
Suggestion to Florida residents. FPL and probably the other power companies have instituted a large liability insurance requirement if interconnect to the grid. My longtime insurance company said that they would cancel my insurance immediately if I had solar power. Two other companies said that they wouldn't insure me. I'm looking at all the options. One appears to be to have a system smaller than about 11.4 kW.

Suggestion to Florida residents. FPL and probably the other power companies have instituted a large liability insurance requirement if interconnect to the grid. My longtime insurance company said that they would cancel my insurance immediately if I had solar power. Two other companies said that they wouldn't insure me. I'm looking at all the options. One appears to be to have a system smaller than about 11.4 kW.
This liability insurance thing is based on size? Is it based on PV or Battery or either?

I’m in the same boat. New house being built so I didn’t have the required pictures but I want to be sure I get in the Queue. Same size, no powerwall. I’m in NH.

I don’t understand why so many opt for powerwalls (unless there is huge incentives or no net metering).

I’m in the same boat. New house being built so I didn’t have the required pictures but I want to be sure I get in the Queue. Same size, no powerwall. I’m in NH.

I don’t understand why so many opt for powerwalls (unless there is huge incentives or no net metering).
We have net metering but they have changed the payout. Now we basically get 40% back ( that’s why I added the power wall along with Texas having a shocking grid)

I’m in the queue for Tesla solar panels (19kW system and 2 powerwalls), awaiting design, have not committed otherwise. I live in Southeast FL. I don’t care for the powerwalls at this time, more a long term goal for hurricane resiliency. If I install this year I can get grandfathered into 1:1 net metering, which further disincentivizes me to pay for a battery now.

The local solar provider bid I received is for a 24kW system comprised of Tesla 400h panels with solaredge power optimizers (no battery). It would be installed with the Tesla racking system.

Does anyone know what the qcell equivalent of the Tesla 400h panel is? are they truly simply rebranded panels? I have seen mention of Blk-g6 on other forums but have been unable to confirm.

(same local contractor has offered option of REC alpha panels at a premium of $0.20/w adder but explicitly does not recommend this)

I don’t fully understand why a local provider would recommend Tesla 400h panels as otherwise Tesla price undercuts them significantly ($2.98/w vs $2.26/w, if separating the $17k powerwall out).

I would like to use the local contractor owing to warranty/CS and am trying to understand how much of a premium this would be over the Tesla install. I don’t perceive the difference in Tesla inverter vs solaredge microinverter to really justify the cost differences between the two systems.

Am I missing something here? Any additional insight would be greatly appreciated
I just had these 400 watt panels installed on my house. I believe this is the spec sheet for the Q-cell original. I think the Tesla panels have a different frame for their panel attachment mechanism.

Attachments

• IMG_5006 (2).jpg
    IMG_5006 (2).jpg
    621.7 KB · Views: 313
  • Hanwha_400w_-_NEW_Q.PEAK_DUO_BLK_ML-G10_385-405_2021-05_Rev01_NA_1_jkDyhBT.PDF
    1.6 MB · Views: 166
Save this number. 877-571-7652. Follow the prompts to speak to next available advisor. You dont have to talk to "your" advisor. Anyone that picks that line up will be able to help you. I've called them several times and am always able to get someone on the phone, often with little to no hold time, and they've all been able to help. From design changes, to permit paperwork, to just general questions, etc. I'm 3 weeks from install and so far everything has gone great!
That phone number is useless. Every thing will say “Office is Closed”. Maybe they are closed in the Northeast.

That phone number is useless. Every thing will say “Office is Closed”. Maybe they are closed in the Northeast.
Are you trying during business hours? I've spoke to a live person about a dozen times over that past few months calling that number. As recent as 2 weeks ago anyway. You do have to call during their business hours though. It's not a 24/7 call center.

You need $1M personal liability insurance. I added an umbrella policy for $160 per year (about $13 a month). The struggle was finally getting an agent that knew what I was looking for. The first agent was clueless and thought I was trying to insure the solar system for a million dollars. About the 3rd person they transferred me to said" oh you want to get net metering" and I finally knew we were on the right track!

Are you trying during business hours? I've spoke to a live person about a dozen times over that past few months calling that number. As recent as 2 weeks ago anyway. You do have to call during their business hours though. It's not a 24/7 call center.
Yup, of course. Tried different times too. I suspect it depends on the ZIP code you put in. I actually tried two states NH and MA. Both “closed” during normal business ours.