Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla 5-Series/E Class/A6 Competitor?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think it might happen eventually. I expect Tesla will go after other complete markets first - pickup trucks, possibly a minivan (though they kinda intend the X to replace a lot of minivans it seems.)

This is a joke! No way the Model X competes with a minivan just on price alone. The next closest minivan in cost in the USA is a Toyota Sienna Limited with Luxury Package and that van is 48k. I got my wife's loaded '14 Odyssey Touring Elite for 41k out the door. Yes the Model X is special and I would love to have one but there is no way it is replacing a lot of minivans. Everyone I know who has a Odyssey is too practical to trade it in for a car that is at a minimum 50k more expensive for similar options. (I honestly don't even know if there is rear entertainment on the Model X).

This is a joke! No way the Model X competes with a minivan just on price alone. The next closest minivan in cost in the USA is a Toyota Sienna Limited with Luxury Package and that van is 48k. I got my wife's loaded '14 Odyssey Touring Elite for 41k out the door. Yes the Model X is special and I would love to have one but there is no way it is replacing a lot of minivans. Everyone I know who has a Odyssey is too practical to trade it in for a car that is at a minimum 50k more expensive for similar options. (I honestly don't even know if there is rear entertainment on the Model X).

Oh, the X is certainly far more expensive than any minivan - but Tesla talks about the FW doors as being better than sliding doors and easier to access for child seats, and they talk about having more storage than a minivan. If Tesla doesn't think they're competing with/replacing minivans as well as luxury SUVs, why do they keep comparing to them? :)

Model S is/was the competitor of 5/E/A6. When Tesla first introduce Model S, these cars were what Tesla compared with. Tesla S40 starting price at 50k (after tax incentives)

It just happens Model S is much better than original competitors, so media moved MS to compete with big brothers (7/S/A8). Also most buyers purchased 85 or 60 kWh instead of 40 kWh, that bring the average purchase price over 80k.

I don't care what the EPA says, there's no way in hell you're telling me that the Model S is same class as S500, LS460, and 7-series. This whole argument about internal volume INCLUDING trunk space is bogus. My speculation is that Elon Musk, cunning as he is, purposefully made the Model S internal volume large enough to have it categorized as Large for annual sales comparisons. He knew he would have a huge challenge getting to sales levels similar to 5-series. Beating out the 7-series would be much easier. Smart move by Musk and Tesla.

Realistically and practically speaking, Model S sales should be compared to mid-size luxury sedans rather than large-size luxury sedans. Go sit in the back of an LS460 and tell me if it's the same 'class' as Tesla.

Now for the question of whether Tesla needs to have a model to truly compete with large luxury sedans....I would say no (at least not in the next 3 years).

. He knew he would have a huge challenge getting to sales levels similar to 5-series. Beating out the 7-series would be much easier. Smart move by Musk and Tesla.

In 2015, BMW sold 44,126 5 series, and MB sold 49,736 E-class in US. So, compare cars with much lower average price, Tesla is doing very well.

Lexus makes great car, but LS becomes a low volume production car, not many people shopping for LS anymore, sold 7165 in 2015.

The current Model S is ALREADY sized the same as BMW 5 series/ Mercedes E class. It is just that Model S is currently priced one class higher to be the same as BMW 7/ Mercedes S class. So which German models the Model S is really competing with all depends on which perspective you cherry-pick.
No. The Model S is in the same size class as AUDI A8L, BMW 7-Series, and Mercedes-Benz S-Class. The EPA classifies them all as LARGE cars.
Workspace 1_052.png

The AUDI A6/A7, BMW 5-Series, and Mercedes-Benz E-Class are all MIDSIZE cars.
Workspace 1_053.png

It is not the length of the car, or the weight of the car, but its interior volume and cargo/luggage space that determine its size classification.

Reactions: RobStark