Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla $7500 Tax Credit Coming Back?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Saw an article today saying that 2022 cars would now be eligible for a tax credit. Specifically the model 3 and model y. I thought nothing took effect until 2023. Is there something else in the bill?
Not for Tesla and GM. The cap removal doesn't happen until 1/1/2023 as I recall. The new bill merely modifies the existing EV tax credits - adds rules, removes rules, etc.

The only thing that happens on signing is "North American assembly rule" ASAP.

I have an EDD of Aug - Sep. I will do my math and see if it makes financial sense to walk away from my current order and wait to reorder and 2023 Y. And by then who knows what new features Tesla will be including. So I wonder how many folks there are like me that might delay delivery.

Now if Tesla starts increasing prices to get a “taste of the gate” then my $67,990 PMY could still be about equal. The devil is in the math and what Tesla does with pricing. Today there is a $5500 delta.
That’s exactly the situation I’m in. Waiting on a myp due by end of September if I cancel and reorder I’ll still save 5500

So if someone can help me. Will I get the tax credit if I wait for the Tesla website to quote "January 2023". So lets say i want to order a MYP, and I stalk the website daily. And then lets say in October, the website is quoting January 2023 for delivery of the MYP. Can I order it then, and when its delivered I can get the Tax credit? Is that how it works?

So if someone can help me. Will I get the tax credit if I wait for the Tesla website to quote "January 2023". So lets say i want to order a MYP, and I stalk the website daily. And then lets say in October, the website is quoting January 2023 for delivery of the MYP. Can I order it then, and when its delivered I can get the Tax credit? Is that how it works?
It could come earlier. I was quoted April for delivery, and my car came in March.

Is the Model Y an SUV? The government needs to define this better. Here is a piece out of the only government document that speaks to automobile, off road, van, or light pickup. Model Y might slip in with three rows with the back two folding down (a van classification). Model Y meets only one of the off road criteria which I feel defines a real SUV. All the crossovers on the road are just tall hatchbacks.

0E78A8E4-2187-4299-BC41-9E9E6888B4BD.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Whatstreet
It’s considered an SUV. Only the M3 SR+ and MY LR and Performance will qualify. Assuming Tesla doesn’t raise prices further to keep more of the credit for themselves the MY LR is a no brainer over the M3 LR as they essentially become the same price and you get significantly more space and usability.

And it’s not that Tesla is left out again, if Tesla lowers prices then more will qualify. Think about brands like Rivian, Lucid, Fisker, and more that will no longer qualify at all and never came close to selling the 200k units.

Also brands like Porsche and Audi and VW, Polestar, even Toyota with the Rav-4 Prime who did qualify and no longer will as their cars are not built in North America.
Tesla will drop the M3 LR to $54,999 come Jan. 1st.

Reactions: Whatstreet
VW just started production of the ID4 at the Chattanooga assembly plant. I think the article quoted them with having a production goal of 7000 vehicles/week by 2023. So this particular model will qualify.

Interesting to think the Mach-E currently does qualify for the tax credit, but won't qualify in the new bill, while the F150 Lightning will. Not sure how this will sit with Ford. GM probably isn't thrilled that the Lyriq and Hummer EV are going to be ineligible.

To reduce the price of the vehicles; Tesla has options. They can release more models with 250-300 miles of range vs 300-400 miles of range.
I think the GM Lyric qualifies as an SUV.

It's pretty typical for a bill like this that the bill itself provides an outline of congress's intention and that the nitty details (like how do you actually determine a percentage, or what defines an "SUV") are determined in a subsequent regulatory process done by the agency charged with implementing and enforcing the legislation. That regulatory process can take months to years to complete and is subject to intense, mostly hidden, lobbying by the interested parties. So a lot of these questions will likely not be answerable the day the bill passes and is signed into law.

As an example, you can find the current federal definition of an SUV at: 40 CFR § 600.315-08 - Classes of comparable automobiles.
I don’t see a definition for SUV in your attachment.