Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla $7500 Tax Credit Coming Back?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Couldn't you just change your current order from MYP to MYLR? That will push your EDD to early next year, and you'll get the price in effect when you originally ordered. Then round about December you could change the order back to MYP if that's what you really wanted. And thus you'd get the new tax credit...

I'm debating doing just that, as we're on track to get our new MYP in the next couple of weeks. I've got a M3 SR+ that will need to be sold after we get the Y, but would keep it if we push the order out. With apparently declining used Tesla values (gas crunch easing?), that complicates the savings calculation WRT shooting for the tax credit. Carvana is offering more than we paid for the 2019 M3, but that will probably not be the case in 6 months...

That and we'd like to have the use of the new MY for the rest of the year (need it for towing small boats/trailers, since we got rid of our old ICE SUV).

Decisions, decisions.
I thought any time you change an order, your price gets updated to the current pricing?

The free trade list does not include certain countries that are not hostile but are major sources of battery minerals. Tesla's proposed sourcing of nickel from Indonesia is important example. The politicians doing the negations in this "deal" appear to be profoundly ignorant of the sourcing and processing of battery raw materials in the industry. It would be a lot simpler to exclude hostile countries, but I don't know how China's processing of 80% of the supply of lithium fits in. Trust politicians to get complex requirements wrong.

An example would be the Chinese company CATL, currently making Model 3 SR LFP batteries, planning to build a US factory for production in a couple of years, but will they cancel those beneficial plans if their batteries are shunned if they use any Chinse raw materials? The complexity of the sourcing rules in this proposal are absurd and unworkable.

Reactions: Falcon73
The free trade list does not include certain countries that are not hostile but are major sources of battery minerals. Tesla's proposed sourcing of nickel from Indonesia is important example. The politicians doing the negations in this "deal" appear to be profoundly ignorant of the sourcing and processing of battery raw materials in the industry. It would be a lot simpler to exclude hostile countries, but I don't know how China's processing of 80% of the supply of lithium fits in. Trust politicians to get complex requirements wrong.

An example would be the Chinese company CATL, currently making Model 3 SR LFP batteries, planning to build a US factory for production in a couple of years, but will they cancel those beneficial plans if their batteries are shunned if they use any Chinse raw materials? The complexity of the sourcing rules in this proposal are absurd and unworkable.
It’s also incredibly ill timed - wait times for EV deliveries are already extended and charging infrastructure is way behind except for California. This will only increase demand, allowing manufacturers to further increase EV prices (within the limitation constraints). This bill should be called the EV inflation act.

Because GM is a leader of EV and electrifying the entire auto industry

Yeah .... their track record is impressive. In a bad way
However, they have LG battery factories coming on-line (courtesy of Fed money, naturally) and a pipeline of Blazer and Equinox EVs that on paper sounds like mainstream vehicles in large volumes. The only problem is that they do not appear particularly competitive spec or price wise compared to where VW/Hyun-Kia/Tesla will be in the next year or two.

Enter the EV credit

Reactions: Falcon73

yeah, this is going to be interesting to see how the RWD M3 fares with these new rules. seems like only this M3 and the MY LR will qualify price-wise...but the LFP batteries in the M3 donʻt seem to fit with the requirements. iʻm looking at this carefully bc i have a RWD M3 with delivery in a month...might switch to MY LR if M3 doesnʻt qualify.

Reactions: LeonC
yeah, this is going to be interesting to see how the RWD M3 fares with these new rules. seems like only this M3 and the MY LR will qualify price-wise...but the LFP batteries in the M3 donʻt seem to fit with the requirements. iʻm looking at this carefully bc i have a RWD M3 with delivery in a month...might switch to MY LR if M3 doesnʻt qualify.
You can switch between vehicle types? I thought you can only change within the Model 3 or model Y? Just curious

Before anyone does anything, I would wait to see if

1. This bill actually passes. and
2. If it does, what will Tesla do with pricing?

Musk has been hinting that prices will be coming down soon with tweets saying that many of their commodity prices have come down and on the earnings call saying the current pricing of their vehicles is very high.
I can def see them lowering the price of the M3 LR to meet this.

With that said, for current reservation holders, if the price goes down below your reservation price, I'm assuming you will benefit from this as well?

Before anyone does anything, I would wait to see if

1. This bill actually passes. and
2. If it does, what will Tesla do with pricing?

Musk has been hinting that prices will be coming down soon with tweets saying that many of their commodity prices have come down and on the earnings call saying the current pricing of their vehicles is very high.
I can def see them lowering the price of the M3 LR to meet this.

With that said, for current reservation holders, if the price goes down below your reservation price, I'm assuming you will benefit from this as well?
Yup. I am waiting to see if there is any update on the bill. I am currently ordering the car at the high end.

It’s considered an SUV. Only the M3 SR+ and MY LR and Performance will qualify. Assuming Tesla doesn’t raise prices further to keep more of the credit for themselves the MY LR is a no brainer over the M3 LR as they essentially become the same price and you get significantly more space and usability.

And it’s not that Tesla is left out again, if Tesla lowers prices then more will qualify. Think about brands like Rivian, Lucid, Fisker, and more that will no longer qualify at all and never came close to selling the 200k units.

Also brands like Porsche and Audi and VW, Polestar, even Toyota with the Rav-4 Prime who did qualify and no longer will as their cars are not built in North America.

VW just started production of the ID4 at the Chattanooga assembly plant. I think the article quoted them with having a production goal of 7000 vehicles/week by 2023. So this particular model will qualify.

Interesting to think the Mach-E currently does qualify for the tax credit, but won't qualify in the new bill, while the F150 Lightning will. Not sure how this will sit with Ford. GM probably isn't thrilled that the Lyriq and Hummer EV are going to be ineligible.

To reduce the price of the vehicles; Tesla has options. They can release more models with 250-300 miles of range vs 300-400 miles of range.