Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla $7500 Tax Credit Coming Back?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Toyota sold like 27K RAV4 Primes (PHEV) in 2021 which was more EVs (mostly Mach-E) than Ford sold in 2021. They could have easily sold 100K with the insane demand they had.

Toyota isn't fully behind BEVs but they are the leader in PHEVs to me. Most other PHEVs still have to start the gas engine too often and the Primes can run in full EV mode up to 85mph.

Reactions: kindofblue
Toyota sold like 27K RAV4 Primes (PHEV) in 2021 which was more EVs (mostly Mach-E) than Ford sold in 2021. They could have easily sold 100K with the insane demand they had.

Toyota isn't fully behind BEVs but they are the leader in PHEVs to me. Most other PHEVs still have to start the gas engine too often and the Primes can run in full EV mode up to 85mph.
I drove a Prius for two years. Engineering marvel. It made me want BEV all the more. I think PHEVs are a good transition vehicle, but hauling around an engine and transmission is very inefficient. Toyota is letting good (PHEV) keep them from being great (BEV).

Reactions: Whatstreet
I drove a Prius for two years. Engineering marvel. It made me want BEV all the more. I think PHEVs are a good transition vehicle, but hauling around an engine and transmission is very inefficient. Toyota is letting good (PHEV) keep them from being great (BEV).

If you follow R4P groups, you will see folks drive their PHEVs in EV mode for 90% of the time. Folks say they fill up gas once every 4-6 months are not unusual. It's a gateway drug to full BEV-hood. At the same time, PHEVs are great for those in areas with crappy DC charging infrastructure and sub-freezing climates.

Lastly, the R4P is no slouch. The 302hp makes it as fast as a Model 3 RWD (I've owned both so I would know). I would love for Toyota to be producing 200K RAV4 Primes a year... gas usage would drop even more.

If you follow R4P groups, you will see folks drive their PHEVs in EV mode for 90% of the time. Folks say they fill up gas once every 4-6 months are not unusual. It's a gateway drug to full BEV-hood. At the same time, PHEVs are great for those in areas with crappy DC charging infrastructure and sub-freezing climates.

Lastly, the R4P is no slouch. The 302hp makes it as fast as a Model 3 RWD (I've owned both so I would know). I would love for Toyota to be producing 200K RAV4 Primes a year... gas usage would drop even more.
R4P groups would be populated with those that routinely charge their cars every night and have off street parking and home charging available. 302hp is pumping gas through the gas engine with the likelihood of cold start richness.

More DC charging would be better than more PHEVs.

Reactions: DrGriz
I don’t see a definition for SUV in your attachment.
True, the term is used and “small” vs “large” is defined, but there is not a clear definition or distinction between an suv and a station wagon, for example. Most SUV’s would fit the definition of station wagon set out in the regulation. ( I have to admit I’ve never understood the distinction myself— there might have been one when suvs were built on truck frames, but almost all current ones are not.)

Reactions: Rusty1
Can you tell the difference? One is taller, raised seating, more interior volume, etc. It's not difficult.
1661695356743.png

1661695311355.png

• Funny
Reactions: Rusty1
The only thing close to defining SUV in government documents I have found so far is Title 49, Subtitle B, Chapter V, Section 523. Most CUV and SUVs in the market don’t qualify. I think there will be a better definition developed for the Inflation Reduction Act.
4ABD1EB1-013B-4807-98FB-9703F5326C79.jpeg

The only thing close to defining SUV in government documents I have found so far is Title 49, Subtitle B, Chapter V, Section 523. Most CUV and SUVs in the market don’t qualify. I think there will be a better definition developed for the Inflation Reduction Act.
View attachment 846237

6k pound gross vehicle weight is a lot. Even with a heavy battery pack, the Model Y is only 4.4k. The X is 6.8k though - I'm somewhat stunned that the X is over 50% heavier than the Y. Goes to show how lightweight the Model Y is .