Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla 8.0 Autopilot experience Poll

Autopilot 8.0 vs 7.0/7.1

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just changed my vote from "somewhat better" to "slightly worse" after a couple of days of driving... it's just seems a bit more wild and unpredictable now, when it goes off. Yes, AP in 7.1 still did wacky things and maybe it's just that we learned to predict them ???

Perhaps we still need to learn the new parameters... but right now I'd say that I feel a touch more, not less, in danger when AP is active now. Oh and I have to watch out for the AP chimes !! The dreaded AP chimes. I don't like anxiety, it is bad for my health.

I'm not regretting upgrading, as I love all the other stuff in 8.0 but if given the chance I'd sure like to compare AP 8.0 to AP in late 7.1 with just the new TACC routines from 8.0 added. I have a feeling I know which I'd prefer, at least today...

I just did as well. The slightly better TACC is more than offset by the significantly worse autosteer. It's hard to quantify exactly, but 7.1 quickly earned my trust, and 8.0 gradually lost it.

Reactions: Polyport
Yes, AP in 7.1 still did wacky things and maybe it's just that we learned to predict them ???

Perhaps we still need to learn the new parameters... but right now I'd say that I feel a touch more, not less, in danger when AP is active now. Oh and I have to watch out for the AP chimes !! The dreaded AP chimes. I don't like anxiety, it is bad for my health.

I'm not regretting upgrading, as I love all the other stuff in 8.0 but if given the chance I'd sure like to compare AP 8.0 to AP in late 7.1 with just the new TACC routines from 8.0 added. I have a feeling I know which I'd prefer, at least today...

I just did as well. The slightly better TACC is more than offset by the significantly worse autosteer. It's hard to quantify exactly, but 7.1 quickly earned my trust, and 8.0 gradually lost it.

I agree with both quotes. I do not yet trust AP 8.0 b/c it has behaving erratically. in ways that 7.1 would not. 7.1 was by no means perfect, but i do think i hard learned to anticipate where AP 7.1 would fail. i'm not a fan of how 8.0 ignores clear lane makings. drivers around me have gotten angry at how AP 8.0 drives too close to their lane.

I cannot believe you guys have gotten nagged by the AP. my hands are firmly on the wheel and my eyes on the road. AP 8.0 is still a work in progress!!

I agree with both quotes. I do not yet trust AP 8.0 b/c it has behaving erratically. in ways that 7.1 would not. 7.1 was by no means perfect, but i do think i hard learned to anticipate where AP 7.1 would fail. i'm not a fan of how 8.0 ignores clear lane makings. drivers around me have gotten angry at how AP 8.0 drives too close to their lane.
8.0 is awful I mostly just use Autosteer, not TACC. TACC is far to slow to react to speed changes versus what I would do, so I mostly keep TACC set at a low speed and control the speed manually with my right foot. Autosteer is positively dangerous in 8.0. It loses perfectly clear lane markings and then wanders wildly. 7.1 never had issues on the same highways I drive every week. 8.0 also really struggles with curves. There are a couple of curves that I drive regularly when a highway shifts 90 degrees total in direction. 7.1 navigated those turns flawlessly and smoothly. 8.0 bounces from one side of the lane to the other and frequently even crosses over the line. Even the picture of the car on the dash shows it crossing over the painted lines in 8.0.

My big issue is that I didn't install 8.0 because of these problems. I requested that the Service Center not install it when my car went in for service. And then, some employee at the Service Center did install it.

TACC is far to slow to react to speed changes versus what I would do, so I mostly keep TACC set at a low speed and control the speed manually with my right foot.

This may be part of the problem, as Autosteer is really designed to allow it to control the speed as well. (Like slowing down around a corner, etc.) Have you tried the same route with letting TACC/Autosteer control everything itself on the most current version?

Which build of 8.0 do you have?

This may be part of the problem, as Autosteer is really designed to allow it to control the speed as well. (Like slowing down around a corner, etc.) Have you tried the same route with letting TACC/Autosteer control everything itself on the most current version?

Which build of 8.0 do you have?
When TACC is allowed to control the speed it closes dangerously fast on traffic and then brakes hard. The vision of the radar and camera is far less than the human eye. That is my issue with TACC. That is why I do not believe that the AP 2.0 sensor suite will be sufficient. It is still too short-range. I have started letting TACC/AS control everything because doing that reduces the nag frequency. But, I don't like it.

I also don't like how TACC will brake via regen when going down hills instead of letting the car gain speed. Those extra energy transitions waste energy. I bought an EV for efficiency, I want to maximize efficiency. Eliminating unnecessary energy transitions helps that. TACC is very inefficient. When driving long distances between sparse Superchargers it is important to be efficient.

8.0 - 2.42.40

My question about AP is specifically in our upcoming winter driving (I have not had my car over winter yet). On pavement with snow, how will the camera/radar suite be able to tell that the road surface is slippery? Do people just not use it when there is snow on the ground? Lane markings will also be harder to see. My assumption is that the AP will just be disabled automatically.

On pavement with snow, how will the camera/radar suite be able to tell that the road surface is slippery?
I'm counting on the Traction Control system to worry about that. It doesn't need to assess slipperiness, since it directly senses slipping
and adjusts accordingly in milliseconds.

I agree that Auto-steer will have more difficultly "seeing" lane markings, making in generally less useful in snowy conditions. It will still
be able to follow a car in front of you.

I, too, have not had my Tesla through a winter yet. One of the reasons we chose it was our confidence that it would do really well
under winter conditions (for manual driving, at least), so I'm eager to see if that hope is realized.

As for drive-ability in winter - thousands of Norwegians can't be wrong. Tesla's are hugely popular over there so I suspect the Tesla (especially the D cars) will do well in snowy climes. The question for me remains whether the AP braking will be safe enough to use. I suspect less so. When the car starts to modulate (ABS) on breaking, I am afraid it won't be smart enough to steer out of trouble if a rear-end crash in front is imminent.