Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla: A New Order in How Cars Are Sold: Excitement, Disappointment, Faster than Fast

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Lately I've been looking at insurance, specifically "new car replacement" policies.

What happens if you buy an S60 new, get a new car replacement policy, and it gets totaled (and you're not at fault). Do they replace it with a 70D as it's the cheapest available model "like" what you had?

Lately I've been looking at insurance, specifically "new car replacement" policies.

What happens if you buy an S60 new, get a new car replacement policy, and it gets totaled (and you're not at fault). Do they replace it with a 70D as it's the cheapest available model "like" what you had?
While the details depend on your insurance policy, the short answer is "probably, yes."

While the details depend on your insurance policy, the short answer is "probably, yes."
Yah, Travelers wording is:
The amount we will pay to replace a vehicle to which New Car Replacement Coverage applies will not exceed the cost of a new vehicle of the same make and model with the same equipment. If a new vehicle of the same make and model with the same equipment is not available, we will pay the cost of a new vehicle that is similar in vehicle size, class, body type and equipment.

However, the most we will pay to replace a vehicle to which New Car Replacement Coverage applies is 120% of the original Manufacturer’s Suggested Retail Price of the vehicle being replaced.
As long as Tesla doesn't go nuts with pricing structure (i.e. remains with 20%), it seems like you get the "upgrade up" whenever the model you bought no longer exists.