Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Abandons Model E Trademark

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
that Ford rumor is just that, a rumor.

Perhaps. Maybe Tesla just wanted to avoid any issues.

Here's Ford's current Model E trademark application: MODEL E - Reviews & Brand Information - Ford Motor Company Dearborn, MI - Serial Number: 86133442

Here's Tesla's abandoned one: MODEL E - Reviews & Brand Information - Tesla Motors, Inc. Palo Alto, CA - Serial Number: 86029275

I can't link to them directly on the USPTO site, but you can search for them here: Trademarks Home

Sound like refrigerator, air conditioner or shipping line names :tongue:

ImgRepos%5CBlueStar%20flipbook%20lorez.pdf_08102010_144641%5CImages%5CPage_0%5C0_1000.jpg

It's likely that Tesla abandoned the mark because of Ford's claim.

They may have abandoned the trademark because of Ford's opposition to it, but Tesla's filing preceded Ford's by some months. Without Tesla letting us know why they decided on this action (they aren't saying, I asked.), it's really just speculation. Further, Tesla never said what it intended to do with the trademark to begin with, so even the suggestion that it was meant for the Gen III car is speculation.

I'm hoping we'll all know the actual name within a couple months. The clay model of the first Gen III variant should be done by then.

I think it's the E-series vans that they would be using to dispute it. That bend said, I am surprised Mercedes did not have an issue with both the S and E model choices by Tesla (investors or not).

Hmm, why not call Gen III Model C then (C for compact), the Mercedes standard nomenclature (whether actually used or not) would be complete then... (C-class, E-class, S-class) :)

- - - Updated - - -

No one names cars anymore.

Hmm, what about VW, Toyota, Ford, Opel, Seat, Skoda, Renault, or along the high end Lamborghini, Bentley, Rolls, Bugatti...

I would dare say there are just as many (if not more) cars with names as cars with numbers or other "naming" schemes.

Hmm, what about VW, Toyota, Ford, Opel, Seat, Skoda, Renault, or along the high end Lamborghini, Bentley, Rolls, Bugatti...

I would dare say there are just as many (if not more) cars with names as cars with numbers or other "naming" schemes.

None of those are direct Tesla competitors.

Low end or super premium.

Mercedes, Audi ,BMW, Lexus, Acura, Infiniti, Volvo, and Jaguar use alphanumeric names almost exclusively.

Cadillac and Lincoln just kept the Escalade and Navigator brands when they switched to alphanumeric names. All their sedans, coupes, and CUVs are alphanumeric.

Porsche is the only brand that zigged when every one else zagged.

They have the iconic 911. Plus 914, 924,928, 959, now 918 then went with Boxster, Cayenne, Macan ,and Panamera .

When the Model X comes out Land Rover will be a direct competitor that uses actual nouns so do the Italians Alfa Romeo(3G competitor) and Maserati.

But selling the Marque and letting the car itself conjure up feelings and emotions is standard in the luxury segment but not in the super premium $200k plus segment.

Actually what is wrong with staying with the "Model soandso" nomenclature? I think Model S sounds quite good for a premium sedan, as does Model X for an SUV. All that remains is to settle for an appropriate letter. I still vote for "Model C". (as in "compact", "cool", "city" or "c (see), I told you a great BEV for the masses was possible after all").

Please Tesla, don't go the Porsche way of partly numbers (or letters), partly names.