Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Abandons Model E Trademark

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Model S, Model X, Model E are all pretty boring and uncreative, IMHO. I actually don't like names or letters on my car. I'll probably remove mine provided they come off without showing marks. If anyone wants those "Model S" and "85" letters, let me know.

Perhaps they've decided on a better name for GenIII.

They were having trouble with Ford who had that name internally for a model not produced. Ford was threatening to sue I believe and I'll bet Tesla thought it not worth the trouble. Although I think I read somewhere they would probably have won in the end- some lawyers legal opinion. This is all just from memory of some brief readings so don't take as fact. Regardless, they'll have lots more letters to choose from!

- - - Updated - - -

There's already a thread on this
Tesla Abandons Model E Trademark

Whoops sorry. Forgot to check the other board. Mod feel free to merge or abandon. My apologies, thanks dirkhh

They were having trouble with Ford who had that name internally for a model not produced. Ford was threatening to sue I believe and I'll bet Tesla thought it not worth the trouble. Although I think I read somewhere they would probably have won in the end- some lawyers legal opinion. This is all just from memory of some brief readings so don't take as fact. Regardless, they'll have lots more letters to choose from!

- - - Updated - - -

Whoops sorry. Forgot to check the other board. Mod feel free to merge or abandon. My apologies, thanks dirkhh
You're welcome. And BTW - that Ford rumor is just that, a rumor. There actually was a Ford Model S in 1907 - if Ford wanted to sue, that's what they'd sue over.

How about as a workaround the following: We all feel pretty comfortable calling the current cars P85, S85, S60. How about the Model E gets E(battery pack size) instead of just E. For a performance version it can be E-P(pack size). Would that work?

That's if Tesla can't come up with something better than Model E. I have to say I'm kind of fond of it since it has been its name for almost a year.

How about as a workaround the following: We all feel pretty comfortable calling the current cars P85, S85, S60. How about the Model E gets E(battery pack size) instead of just E. For a performance version it can be E-P(pack size). Would that work?

That's if Tesla can't come up with something better than Model E. I have to say I'm kind of fond of it since it has been its name for almost a year.

I would think this gets into Volvo/MB's territory. There's already a Volvo S60, and MB has been making all sorts of AMG variants of the E. None quite as low as say 35-50, which is too bad as I also like the P85, S85 & S60 nomenclature.

Do they actually hold the rights to BlueStar, or was that just an internal thing?

Perhaps they can do the following:

Model S
Model Se (GenIII)
Model eX (GenIII Crossover/Small SUV)
Model X
Model Y (truck)

Then they can have the following models: "S Se eX X Y"

and if you're a two car family, you could own S,eX or Se,X or three car family S,eX,Y or Se,X,Y

I would think this gets into Volvo/MB's territory. There's already a Volvo S60, and MB has been making all sorts of AMG variants of the E. None quite as low as say 35-50, which is too bad as I also like the P85, S85 & S60 nomenclature.

Do they actually hold the rights to BlueStar, or was that just an internal thing?

Tesla only uses P85 and P85+ though. I believe S60 and S85 is something people on the various forums have come up with to abbreviate Model S 60 and 85 at least with the badging on the car and website.

Performance cars tend to have the letter/number names. BMW M5, Porsche 911 etc. Economy cars tend to have names, Civic, Camry, Fiesta, Accord, Volt, etc.

It might be worth giving it a name along those lines to further convey affordability.

Performance cars tend to have the letter/number names. BMW M5, Porsche 911 etc. Economy cars tend to have names, Civic, Camry, Fiesta, Accord, Volt, etc.

It might be worth giving it a name along those lines to further convey affordability.

Exceptions are the real high end cars from Ferrari, Lamborghini, Bentley, etc. who give their cars proper names too.