Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla AC Powerwall *2.1* installed?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We had a 16kw solar + 3 powerwall install completed last February; Tesla submitted the PG&E interconnect application at the beginning of March, but has not replied to a request from PG&E to confirm some problems. They basically omitted things like the AC disconnect from the application, even though it's correct on the SLD. PG&E told me that I can reply with the correct info if I'm able to.

In the SLD, Tesla has listed (3) "TESLA AC POWERWALL 2.0", TPN 1092170-05-J. However, when I go look at my powerwalls, what I have is "AC POWERWALL 2.1", TPN 3012170-53-A. I can't find this part number _anywhere_ on the web which is really surprising. So now I'm stuck responding to PG&E, because I have no idea what happens with this new TPN which is not what's indicated on the SLD, or if the original part number is actually somehow still correct.

Anyone run into this? Attached picture of one of my powerwall nameplates:

Powerwall21.jpg

We had a 16kw solar + 3 powerwall install completed last February; Tesla submitted the PG&E interconnect application at the beginning of March, but has not replied to a request from PG&E to confirm some problems. They basically omitted things like the AC disconnect from the application, even though it's correct on the SLD. PG&E told me that I can reply with the correct info if I'm able to.

In the SLD, Tesla has listed (3) "TESLA AC POWERWALL 2.0", TPN 1092170-05-J. However, when I go look at my powerwalls, what I have is "AC POWERWALL 2.1", TPN 3012170-53-A. I can't find this part number _anywhere_ on the web which is really surprising. So now I'm stuck responding to PG&E, because I have no idea what happens with this new TPN which is not what's indicated on the SLD, or if the original part number is actually somehow still correct.

View attachment 655166
Do you know the production date? Mine was in 2020 so I am thinking it should get the increase on update.

View attachment 655166
What is your production date? Mine is 2020 it was just installed in October of 2020. I'm thinking this should be one of the newer batteries which hopefully will benefit from the new update.

Tesla can't just "unlock" more power for current installed units without checking that the wire size and breaker have been updated. It also has implications for any agreements with the power company about max battery output. PGE has different rules for <10kW, <30kW and over 30kW. This software update could move you into a higher category.

Reactions: KyleDay
Tesla can't just "unlock" more power for current installed units without checking that the wire size and breaker have been updated. It also has implications for any agreements with the power company about max battery output. PGE has different rules for <10kW, <30kW and over 30kW. This software update could move you into a higher category.
Interesting, with a new update, yep, 5 batteries would move me into the over 30kw, which I have no idea what that would mean. Anyone?

View attachment 655166
I believe the indicator of whether a Powerwall 2 has the higher capabilities is the part number. Part # 3012170-xx-x appears to have been recently certified by Intertek (October 26, 2020) based on the file in this link. https://www.energy.ca.gov/sites/default/files/2020-05/Energy_Storage_System_List_Data_ADA.xlsx

The other part numbers have been around for a while and were certified in 2018.

I had my Powerwalls installed mid-November 2020. They do say Powerwall 2.1, but they are the part number that you were supposed to have installed (1092170-05-J). I have seen a few other discussions on other forums and it appears that all newer installations have the 3012170 part number.

I hope I am wrong and all I need is a Powerwall 2.1.

Of course, before providing higher power capability, Tesla will need to ensure that the wiring and breakers installed with the PWs can handle it. Maybe they will provide some peak power update for older installations to handle AC motor starts.

I believe the indicator of whether a Powerwall 2 has the higher capabilities is the part number. Part # 3012170-xx-x appears to have been recently certified by Intertek (October 26, 2020) based on the file in this link. https://www.energy.ca.gov/sites/default/files/2020-05/Energy_Storage_System_List_Data_ADA.xlsx

The other part numbers have been around for a while and were certified in 2018.

I had my Powerwalls installed mid-November 2020. They do say Powerwall 2.1, but they are the part number that you were supposed to have installed (1092170-05-J). I have seen a few other discussions on other forums and it appears that all newer installations have the 3012170 part number.

I hope I am wrong and all I need is a Powerwall 2.1.

Of course, before providing higher power capability, Tesla will need to ensure that the wiring and breakers installed with the PWs can handle it. Maybe they will provide some peak power update for older installations to handle AC motor starts.
Mine is newer is does not have 3012170.

Mine is newer is does not have 3012170.
This may be promising then. I will add that my father is scheduled to have his system installed this month. He ordered his sometime in March and his plans show the same model number as mine. But, given vvuk's experience with having the plans say one model number and actual install be another, I wasn't sure whether they just carried this model number over without really paying attention to it.

Would you mind sharing a few more details about yours? Month of install, whether the model number begins with 109 or 201, whether it is a "Powerwall 2.1", etc.?

Also saw some mention of the serial number being an indicator of when it was installed. Some people have serial numbers beginning with 21. Mine begin with 20. Someone speculated that the next 2 numbers indicate week of manufacture. I have certainly seen serial numbers with this type of info embedded before. Mine was 2031, which would have indicated late July manufacture. Given the supply constraints and the fact that mine weren't installed until mid-November, I am not sure a July manufacture date is likely.

This may be promising then. I will add that my father is scheduled to have his system installed this month. He ordered his sometime in March and his plans show the same model number as mine. But, given vvuk's experience with having the plans say one model number and actual install be another, I wasn't sure whether they just carried this model number over without really paying attention to it.

Would you mind sharing a few more details about yours? Month of install, whether the model number begins with 109 or 201, whether it is a "Powerwall 2.1", etc.?

Also saw some mention of the serial number being an indicator of when it was installed. Some people have serial numbers beginning with 21. Mine begin with 20. Someone speculated that the next 2 numbers indicate week of manufacture. I have certainly seen serial numbers with this type of info embedded before. Mine was 2031, which would have indicated late July manufacture. Given the supply constraints and the fact that mine weren't installed until mid-November, I am not sure a July manufacture date is likely.
I had to get info by calling Tesla PW support. They said nothing on the PN or SN tells when built. Mine were build Jan 30, 2021. Installed early march.
Says Powerwall 2.1 Tech support has told me new FW release of these will increase power output, if wired in correctly, which they could check and mine was. Was told if one has as 40 amp breaker, they would tell them to replace with a 30 to meet spec. Shall see. I am lucky, I do not need this feature, if I do not get.

pwv.jpg