Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla AC Powerwall *2.1* installed?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had to get info by calling Tesla PW support. They said nothing on the PN or SN tells when built. Mine were build Jan 30, 2021. Installed early march.
Says Powerwall 2.1 Tech support has told me new FW release of these will increase power output, if wired in correctly, which they could check and mine was. Was told if one has as 40 amp breaker, they would tell them to replace with a 30 to meet spec. Shall see. I am lucky, I do not need this feature, if I do not get.

View attachment 659001
This is interesting. When you say they will swap a 40 with a 30, did you mean the other way around? Seems like you would need the higher amperage breaker to get more output (although, maybe I misunderstood what you were saying).

This is interesting. When you say they will swap a 40 with a 30, did you mean the other way around? Seems like you would need the higher amperage breaker to get more output (although, maybe I misunderstood what you were saying).
No, took me a while to figure this out, with help from the group. Assuming Elon's tweet is correct, he stated the power capacity goes up, which I assume is the instantaneous from 5kw to 7.5kw. Thats for a short amount of time. So at 240 volts, thats like 32 amps, which to blow a breaker takes a little time. So
it seems the 10 gauge wiring and 30 amp breaker should be fine. I am no longer assuming the tweet was correct, but time will tell. The continuous spec does not seem to have changed, which would impact the breaker and wiring

What exactly did he say with regards to November?
"So basically, all Powerwalls made since roughly November of last year have a lot more peak power capability than the specification on the website. They are about twice the power capability, roughly. It depends on how you count power, but about twice the peak power and about oddly twice the steady-state power of the specification on the website. The energy is the same but the power is roughly double."

This is from the Q1 2021 Earnings Call

I had my Powerwalls installed mid-November 2020. They do say Powerwall 2.1, but they are the part number that you were supposed to have installed (1092170-05-J). I have seen a few other discussions on other forums and it appears that all newer installations have the 3012170 part number.
Interesting! Do you have a link for some of those other forums? I’m still fighting with Tesla (is it fighting if only one side is doing anything?) and trying to figure out what’s up.

Interesting! Do you have a link for some of those other forums? I’m still fighting with Tesla (is it fighting if only one side is doing anything?) and trying to figure out what’s up.
One is actually you, on the "Tesla AC Powerwall *2.1* installed" thread. I noticed that your Powerwalls had this new model number.

On this YouTube video, the person who posted the video plus one commenter also have this new model number; one was a December 2020 install and one was sometime this year.

The theory came about because I had noticed that the model number was certified by Intertek in October 2020, which sort of matches up with the November time frame Elon discussed on the earnings call.

One piece of evidence against this theory came to light after this post. I believe I saw somewhere on this TMC site that someone posted they had 2021 installs with the 1092170 model number. Not conclusive against the theory but certainly raises some doubt in my mind.

One is actually you, on the "Tesla AC Powerwall *2.1* installed" thread. I noticed that your Powerwalls had this new model number.

On this YouTube video, the person who posted the video plus one commenter also have this new model number; one was a December 2020 install and one was sometime this year.

The theory came about because I had noticed that the model number was certified by Intertek in October 2020, which sort of matches up with the November time frame Elon discussed on the earnings call.

One piece of evidence against this theory came to light after this post. I believe I saw somewhere on this TMC site that someone posted they had 2021 installs with the 1092170 model number. Not conclusive against the theory but certainly raises some doubt in my mind.
Mine were installed in March 2021, Made Jan 30th 2021, and have the 109x number for ver 2.1

pwv.jpg

Since folks have posted they were installed pre Nov 2020 and have ver 2.1, at this point, I see NO facts that support what if anything v 2.1 means. I cannot find any facts to support the November comment. Just lots of rumors and opinions

Since folks have posted they were installed pre Nov 2020 and have ver 2.1, at this point, I see NO facts that support what if anything v 2.1 means. I cannot find any facts to support the November comment. Just lots of rumors and opinions
Yes, I am remembering now that it was you that had the 1092170 models installed recently.

I certainly agree that the 2.1 label doesn't seem to correlate with any other indicators we have regarding which PWs might get increased capability.

In my mind, there are 3 facts that suggest that November may be relevant in terms of determining which PWs might get more increased peak power:
  1. Elon's comment on the earnings call that all Powerwalls made since roughly November 2020 have higher peak capability; he informally referred to them as a "Powerwall 2 Plus"
  2. Various recent (October 2020) certifications for this model when compared to the other 2 models I have seen), determined from this spreadsheet.
  3. Elon's tweet indicating that the amount of peak and steady power increase will depend on the production date.
Based on this (which I admit is not that much, and none of it is conclusive), I do think it is likely that more recently manufactured Powerwall 2s (date is debatable) may get more performance increase. I also think it is likely that all PW2s may get some performance boost.

Yes, I am remembering now that it was you that had the 1092170 models installed recently.

I certainly agree that the 2.1 label doesn't seem to correlate with any other indicators we have regarding which PWs might get increased capability.

In my mind, there are 3 facts that suggest that November may be relevant in terms of determining which PWs might get more increased peak power:
  1. Elon's comment on the earnings call that all Powerwalls made since roughly November 2020 have higher peak capability; he informally referred to them as a "Powerwall 2 Plus"
  2. Various recent (October 2020) certifications for this model when compared to the other 2 models I have seen), determined from this spreadsheet.
  3. Elon's tweet indicating that the amount of peak and steady power increase will depend on the production date.
Based on this (which I admit is not that much, and none of it is conclusive), I do think it is likely that more recently manufactured Powerwall 2s (date is debatable) may get more performance increase. I also think it is likely that all PW2s may get some performance boost.
Give tesla powerwall support a call and see what you get. I have called a number of times. I was told the last time, after she said she went and talk to her managers, that as long as the PW was installed correctly, 10 gauge wire and 30 amp breaker, the the new fw would "work". She knew nothing about a November comment, etc.

So at the moment, I cannot get facts to support any clear answer. Post what you hear from them from your call.

Nope, he 'says' software/firmware only! 🤪
And he forgot that all the installation what his company do runs 10 gauge wires (which is good up to 30amp and with that 7.6kWh) instead of the proper 8 gauge copper wires that can take the increase load of 40amp (9.8kWh). He simply forgetting things like safety and regulation regarding the simple things/wires.

And he forgot that all the installation what his company do runs 10 gauge wires (which is good up to 30amp and with that 7.6kWh) instead of the proper 8 gauge copper wires that can take the increase load of 40amp (9.8kWh). He simply forgetting things like safety and regulation regarding the simple things/wires.
Why, the new FW will not increase continuous load output from what I have heard. So as Wayne has written, with 10 gauge and 30 amp breaker, fine for
an instantaneous increase, for like starting AC's

Why, the new FW will not increase continuous load output from what I have heard. So as Wayne has written, with 10 gauge and 30 amp breaker, fine for
an instantaneous increase, for like starting AC's
Disagree. This new capabilities activated during off grid mode. I don’t want to have 40amp on a 10 gauge wire for 30 minutes. I just don’t. Which it is supported now. Additionally it can take up to 116amp LRA start. I think it is absolutely a bad idea to undersize wires.

Disagree. This new capabilities activated during off grid mode. I don’t want to have 40amp on a 10 gauge wire for 30 minutes. I just don’t. Which it is supported now. Additionally it can take up to 116amp LRA start. I think it is absolutely a bad idea to undersize wires.
where do you hear anything would last 30 minutes? Got something in writing?

where do you hear anything would last 30 minutes? Got something in writing?
I have not said it last only 30 minutes. I said I don’t want 40 amp on a 10 gauge copper wire for 30 minutes!!! (or any time tbh. If you know in advance that the continuous power on off grid situation can be 40amp I believe it is just bad design not to have 8 gauge wires). I am trying to express my frustration of undersized wiring and missing though process around introducing a new product feature.