Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla account(s) advice, I'm confused

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm confused with how Tesla accounts work with lease cars. So my car will be registered against my company email address. I understand as it's a lease car I won't be able to access charge statistics as I won't be the legal owner.

Now for charging I'm just about to order the Tesla wall charger. If I use my own email address (as I'll be paying for the damn thing, and not my employer) how will I access the charge information in the app?

If I ordered under my business email address (ultimately tied to the car) would that then mean I cannot access the data I need? ie I don't own the car but actually own the charger????

I'm confused with how Tesla accounts work with lease cars. So my car will be registered against my company email address. I understand as it's a lease car I won't be able to access charge statistics as I won't be the legal owner.

Now for charging I'm just about to order the Tesla wall charger. If I use my own email address (as I'll be paying for the damn thing, and not my employer) how will I access the charge information in the app?

If I ordered under my business email address (ultimately tied to the car) would that then mean I cannot access the data I need? ie I don't own the car but actually own the charger????
You will be able to add the charger to your app and see the usage from that.

I can't see you would be able to see it using your work email as that would be a different account.
Yep. That's what's messing me up I think. If I purchase the charger out of my own pocket using my work email, then it'll match up with the car. BUT as I'm not the owner of the car (but the owner of the charger) can I still see the (at least) home charger stats?

Unless your company prevents it, you can change the e-mail address associated with your Tesla account to your personal one.

I ended up with two Tesla accounts, under my personal e-mail (from test drive) and under work e-mail (lease order for actual car). The Sales Agent suggested I delete the personal account then change the e-mail address on the work one (with the actual car) to be my personal e-mail, they said it could be done any time prior or after collection but I didn't want to risk losing the place in the queue so did it the day after getting the actual car.

Reactions: TimboUK
Unless your company prevents it, you can change the e-mail address associated with your Tesla account to your personal one.

I ended up with two Tesla accounts, under my personal e-mail (from test drive) and under work e-mail (lease order for actual car). The Sales Agent suggested I delete the personal account then change the e-mail address on the work one (with the actual car) to be my personal e-mail, they said it could be done any time prior or after collection but I didn't want to risk losing the place in the queue so did it the day after getting the actual car.
Brilliant idea. I'll wait till I've had it delivered next week then look at changing. Thanks