Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla account - secondary contact

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry if this is not new, but I logged onto the website today for the first time in a while and saw that you can add a secondary contact...

"Give Tesla app access to a secondary contact. Your secondary contact will be able to use the app to lock and unlock your vehicles, track location and control other car settings."

How long has that been a thing? That's pretty cool. Does the secondary contact have access to the climate control? It would be fabulous if instead of asking me to preheat the car (and getting mad when I forget), my wife could just do it from her phone.

It's been available for I would say a few months now. Basically they create their own login and they have their own account. Only difference is you can remove them on tesla site and they can't remove you. They can pretty much do everything else app wise.

• Informative
Reactions: Silicon Desert
It's been available for I would say a few months now. Basically they create their own login and they have their own account. Only difference is you can remove them on tesla site and they can't remove you. They can pretty much do everything else app wise.

Can you program a user within the car’s settings to correspond to that account? I.e can I create a secondary profile for my wife that is linked to her seating and mirror settings?

• Disagree
Reactions: IceIceBaby
Can you program a user within the car’s settings to correspond to that account? I.e can I create a secondary profile for my wife that is linked to her seating and mirror settings?
You can create a dozen profiles in the car. Has nothing to do with users on the website. In the car they are linked to a keycard or a person’s phone. All spelled out in the manual. :D

You can create a dozen profiles in the car. Has nothing to do with users on the website. In the car they are linked to a keycard or a person’s phone. All spelled out in the manual. :D

Yes, I am well aware that multiple profiles can be created. My wife currently has the app with my profile logged in. My question was if a secondary profile could be used in the app which would then tie to her own profile in the car. I read the entire manual multiple times and don’t recall this specific question being answered. I wasn’t even aware secondary profiles were a thing until the above post.

Yes, I am well aware that multiple profiles can be created. My wife currently has the app with my profile logged in. My question was if a secondary profile could be used in the app which would then tie to her own profile in the car. I read the entire manual multiple times and don’t recall this specific question being answered. I wasn’t even aware secondary profiles were a thing until the above post.

You’ve got it wrong. Adding a secondary contact on the website will allow your wife to login to the app with her own Tesla account, not yours. In the car you can set a driver profile to a specific phone. My phone is tied to my driver profile and my wife’s phone to her profile. Driver profiles are not tied whatsoever to any accounts / profiles / contacts on the Tesla website.

I've been a secondary contact on my husband MS since 3/2017, and he's been one on my Model 3 since 9/2018.

Profiles are driver profile settings in the car (like seat position, etc) so confused by some of the above. Has nothing to do with Tesla App's access to several people.

• Informative
Reactions: jfinephilly
Yes, if both you and your wife have access to your car she will also be able to do exactly what you can from your app (like pre-condition the climate, receive notifications on charging, see where the car is driving--helpful sometimes when she needs you to pick up something on your way home, etc). The car app access is different from your Tesla Account access. You have to request this from Tesla, you'll both be sent emails and info needed for them. I think it took a day or two to get ours activated. Spouse have been know to save the day by being able to remotely open the car for the driver. Of course she will also be able to drive your car as well.

You can have multiple car profiles like John, Mary, Easy Access, Tim (son), etc. I've read someone on here created one for driving in the rain/snow where they want Regen braking set to low for better traction (Tesla recommend btw). Easier to just go to that profile than go into your Controls and different settings. Suppose if you go to a drive-in alot you can have one set for that activity. Took us a while when we went to one to figure out the right settings so that when we opened the door our headlights didn't come on. Don't recall the settings now but I can see how one for that would be convenient.

Last edited:
Okay. So I am like just being dense but this is what I am looking for:

When I enter the car with my phone I would like the driver profile to default to my profile. When my wife enters the car with her phone it will default to her driver profile. How do I do this?

In the car, activate your driver profile then go to Settings > Locks. Click the little icon that looks like a person next to your phone in the keys list. This will link your phone to your profile.

Then repeat the process with your wife's profile active.
Exactly what I said. Car profiles have nothing to do with the website. This functionality has been there for I don’t know how long. If it’s not in the manual, I’d be surprised but not too surprised, knowing Tesla.

Exactly what I said. Car profiles have nothing to do with the website. This functionality has been there for I don’t know how long. If it’s not in the manual, I’d be surprised but not too surprised, knowing Tesla.

Driver profiles linked to phones was added a few months ago. Don’t recall exactly when but I’m pretty sure it wasn’t there 6 months ago.

From the October 30, 2019 Manual (current version at this point):

"Linking a Driver Profile to a Key

You can link a driver profile to a key (or keys) to allow Model 3 to automatically select the correct driver profile when the linked key is detected as you approach the vehicle and open the driver's door. To link a driver profile to a key, first ensure you are using your desired driver profile. Navigate to Controls > Locks and touch the + icon. You can add an authenticated phone, key card, or key fob by following the onscreen instructions. When finished pairing, touch the driver icon to link the key to the desired driver profile. The name of the driver profile will appear under the key to show that it is linked.

Note: Model 3 can support up to 19 linked keys including authenticated phones, key cards, and up to four key fobs. However, Model 3 only supports up to 10 driver profiles. You can link multiple keys to a driver profile, but you cannot link multiple driver profiles to a single key."

I did not see this in manuals I had saved prior to this version.

I have the option to set an alternate contact instead of the secondary contact and I'm completely missing the option to add the car to ve available in someone else's account. Any ideas?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200425-223126_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20200425-223126_Chrome.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 141