Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla account shows insurance policy for previous owner

merrymanimal

Jun 23, 2021
South Bay Area, CA
Hi Everyone!

I purchased my 2020 Model Y about two months ago (April). I wanted to shop around insurance rates and remembered that Tesla offered their own coverage in CA.
However when I checked my account, it still displayed the previous owner's policy which expired on June 15. My guess is that this is some sort of lag and will get removed eventually. Anyone else experience this?

I plan to call them during business hours tomorrow to see what to do about removing it.

Thanks!

merrymanimal

Jun 23, 2021
South Bay Area, CA
Update - it turns out that Tesla insurance does not have visibility into when cars are sold. The previous owners will need to cancel their insurance and remove the car from their tesla account. In addition to that, their insurance purchase was automatically renewed so they were actually charged for the next six months of coverage, effective to December 15th.

All of this is rather strange to be honest, but I guess that's how it goes. The scariest part is that I can actually see personally identifiable information (name, address, email - no phone number or billing information thankfully). I'm no identity thief, but this seems like a pretty severe oversight from a security perspective. Hopefully the Tesla insurance agent can get them to switch their account over/release the car.

Sw3rv3c1ty

Jun 5, 2021
Michigan
That sounds like a privacy issue that Tesla needs to address. Regardless of the previous owner cancelling the policy or not. Seems like it’s how they are linking the data to resources may not be the best way.

ShartyMcFly

May 16, 2021
Indianapolis, IN
I've experienced a couple of major privacy issues related to pre-owned Teslas. In 2019 I bought a pre-owned Model 3 and when I transferred it into my account it exposed the previous owner's insurance info (including her name, address, DOB, and policy number) as well as her purchase order for when it was new. In addition to that, she was an older lady who likely didn't understand the technology, so she hadn't done a full reset on the car, which left her address programmed in as well as her home's garage door programmed to the homelink system (that's more on her than Tesla... though you'd think something in the software could wipe settings like that in the event of an ownership transfer).

When I sold that car later, it appeared in my vehicle history section on my account and ended up revealing the 3rd owner's insurance information as well as a scan of his driver's license.

Eventually by April of 2021 the Vehicle History section of my account has now completely disappeared, but I definitely know a lot about who I got the car from and who it ended up going to after me.

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC