Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Adaptor on ChargePoint

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone know if the Tesla J1772 adaptor can stay on a ChargePoint charger when not in use (i.e hung up)? Thinking about getting a ChargePoint and buying a second adaptor and just leaving it on it.

Using the 1772 is a mild PITA - something you only want to use because you have to. You'll have to explicitly unlock the port (at least on the S - assuming the 3 is similar) to release the lock holding the 1772 converter in. With the tesla connector you just push the button and it unlocks and releases. With the 1772 you have to unlock the connector manually and pull out the convert and charging plug together two handed. If you have to EVs and one is 1772, it'll do but if you only have the Tesla, you'll want the direct tesla connector.

I just use the mobile connector connected to a 40amp plug (formerly going to a 1772 charger). When I receive my signature charger I'll switch it out to a permanent wall mount.

Using the 1772 is a mild PITA - something you only want to use because you have to. You'll have to explicitly unlock the port (at least on the S - assuming the 3 is similar) to release the lock holding the 1772 converter in. With the tesla connector you just push the button and it unlocks and releases. With the 1772 you have to unlock the connector manually and pull out the convert and charging plug together two handed. If you have to EVs and one is 1772, it'll do but if you only have the Tesla, you'll want the direct tesla connector.

I just use the mobile connector connected to a 40amp plug (formerly going to a 1772 charger). When I receive my signature charger I'll switch it out to a permanent wall mount.

I just experienced this issue today. I was testing to make sure my adaptor worked (with a Chargepoint destination charger), and I could not get the J1772 to release, initially. The Chargepoint connector came out of the adaptor but the adaptor would not come out of the Tesla. Simply unlocking the charge port with my phone was not working because my car didn't think it was charging. The charge port door kept closing on the adaptor.

Solution: I plugged the Chargepoint connector back in to the adaptor, let it run for a minute or so, stopped the charge, and then pulled the entire plug out (adaptor included). Then, I easily pulled the adaptor from the Chargepoint connector without issue.

It was a bit of a riddle, but that's the way I'll do it next time if I'm forced to use the adaptor again for some reason. At least I know it works. :)

Ideally, I'll only stick to Supercharging on the road.

I just experienced this issue today. I was testing to make sure my adaptor worked (with a Chargepoint destination charger), and I could not get the J1772 to release, initially. The Chargepoint connector came out of the adaptor but the adaptor would not come out of the Tesla. Simply unlocking the charge port with my phone was not working because my car didn't think it was charging. The charge port door kept closing on the adaptor.

Solution: I plugged the Chargepoint connector back in to the adaptor, let it run for a minute or so, stopped the charge, and then pulled the entire plug out (adaptor included). Then, I easily pulled the adaptor from the Chargepoint connector without issue.

It was a bit of a riddle, but that's the way I'll do it next time if I'm forced to use the adaptor again for some reason. At least I know it works. :)

Ideally, I'll only stick to Supercharging on the road.
Here's the easy way to remove the J1772 adapter.

Click the button on the charge handle, and let it go.
Listen for the car to unlock the charge connector.
Pull the J1772+Adapter out of the car.
Push the button on the handle, and pull the adapter off.

Listen for the car to unlock the charge connector.
Pull the J1772+Adapter out of the car.
Push the button on the handle, and pull the adapter off.

Yep what he said i do daily.

When you click the button on the chargepoint the tesla starts release of the adapter if you have your phone key or unlocked the car but it takes a second. When it releases you just pull it out. You need your phone key or to unlock because tesla wont release the adapter otherwise to prevent theft.

I have a chargepoint home charger and it works great. The adapter doesnt bother me at all i've never had it get locked in.

Reactions: smatthew
I also charge with a J1772 EVSE and adapter.
I've developed the habit of gripping the adaptor when I pull the connector from the car so that there is no doubt that it will stay attached to the EVSE instead of staying in attached to the car. Afterwards I click the J1772 handle again to remove the adaptor.

The important message for all though is to remember that should the adaptor stay behind, just reinsert the J1772 connector and do it right the next time.

Reactions: smatthew

When I used to charge my car at work using one of the L2 ChargePoint stations, I learned early on to stop the session before attempting to disconnect. I would generally do that using the ChargePoint app while walking to my car. That become SOP after the time I pulled out the EVSE handle and leaving the J1772 adapter still connected to the car. There was a huge spark. I was (figuratively) shocked when that happened as I assumed that the electricity would be cut off as soon as the button on the ChargePoint handle was depressed. Terminating the charge session first made it easy to remove the handle+adapter (and evidently safer).

When I used to charge my car at work using one of the L2 ChargePoint stations, I learned early on to stop the session before attempting to disconnect. I would generally do that using the ChargePoint app while walking to my car. That become SOP after the time I pulled out the EVSE handle and leaving the J1772 adapter still connected to the car. There was a huge spark. I was (figuratively) shocked when that happened as I assumed that the electricity would be cut off as soon as the button on the ChargePoint handle was depressed. Terminating the charge session first made it easy to remove the handle+adapter (and evidently safer).
Oh wow. Pressing that button on the ChargePoint handle SHOULD disconnect the electricity. It interrupts the proximity signal, and causes the the car to stop charging, and the car then says "EVSE disconnect". Unfortunately, charge point handles are treated like crud by the public, and honestly I haven't seen one that wasn't broken lately. Last time I tried to use one, I had to physically pull up on the handle button - the spring had disappeared and the button lever was stuck down.

Reactions: h2oAok