Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla ADAS Incident Reports

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm starting this thread to analyze incident reports that Tesla files with NHTSA regarding crashes involving cars that might be related to FSD or AP or NOA. Note that Tesla has to report any incidence where the crash happens even if AP/FSD/NOA was engaged within 30 seconds prior to the crash.

Here is the NHTSA site where you can see details about the report and download the data. The data is for all OEMs.

Data sheet, 2022 : https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/ffdd/sgo-2021-01/SGO-2021-01_Incident_Reports_ADAS.csv

Data Definitions : https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/ffdd/sgo-2021-01/SGO-2021-01_Data_Element_Definitions.pdf

Tesla withholds a large number of data in the fields as "[REDACTED, MAY CONTAIN CONFIDENTIAL BUSINESS INFORMATION]". Still there are a lot of useful fields for analysis. We can use these fields to try to figure out how many crashes are AP/NOA and how many are FSDb, which is my first objective.

For eg. below I've a pivot table by "Roadway Type". Yellow is clearly AP/NOA, Green is FSD and the other two could be mixed.

1674936307508.png

Here is the breakdown by posted speed limit. Again we can assume anything below 60 is FSDb (though there are edge cases).

1674936455065.png

I think I read that the police confirmed she was asleep.
So, it seems likely that at least AP prevented a serious accident; surely, we'll see that in the ADAS data somewhere?
Source?

It’s very possible that she was and the system shut down as designed but there’s so much rumor and misinformation out there that we shouldn’t take a forum post as anything but more conjecture whithout a source to back it up.

No idea how they managed to do that - and why AP/FSD was involved
I suppose you were right to question how Autopilot was involved in this case as it turns out, the vehicle didn't even have it equipped:

But that makes the NHTSA data even more curious as did Tesla report it because there were media (which is a standing order reporting requirement) articles speculating that Autopilot was involved?

• Informative
Reactions: sleepydoc and EVNow
I suppose you were right to question how Autopilot was involved in this case as it turns out, the vehicle didn't even have it equipped:

But that makes the NHTSA data even more curious as did Tesla report it because there were media (which is a standing order reporting requirement) articles speculating that Autopilot was involved?
The problem is there’s a lot of confusion about FSD(b), autopilot, etc. there have also been some high profile cases of people abusing the tech and a couple accidents where it failed. Combine that with a flamboyant (and narcissistic) CEO who’s prone to …shall we say optimistic predictions and you have a perfect setup for headlines that jump to conclusions.

Reactions: Nolakai