TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Tesla adds titanium plate to protect against battery fires | Consumer Reports

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by Calvin.K, Apr 1, 2014.

1. Calvin.K

Calvin.K Member

#1 Calvin.K, Apr 1, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2016

2. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

So three fires is several? (Only two were road debris relates anyway so 'a pair')

3. Trnsl8r

Trnsl8r Blue 85kwh since 12/8/12

Plus he is walking underneath the battery pack making it sound like the titanium plate will cover the entire battery pack (whereas this forum has found it's only in the front). Possible that's what he thinks, but he should do better research first.

4. markb1

markb1 Active Member

Didn't we establish that the titanium is only forward of the battery pack?

5. dsm363

I really wish auto journalists would at least do minimal research before reporting.

6. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

Yes, that seems certain. All the new "shield" pieces are forward of the pack with one piece at the leading edge of the pack.

7. Gizmotoy

Gizmotoy Active Member

Not to be a smart-ass, but yes, 3 is by definition "several" (More than two, but not many).

Either way, not a very well-put-together video.

8. lolachampcar

lolachampcar Active Member

There is one roughly 3" diameter by 14" extrusion which is attached to the aluminum cross member which acts to chew up or otherwise excite debris for exit from under the car. This extrusion is Ti. There is also a thin flat aluminum plate which fills the gap between the rear cross member and the leading edge of the battery.

It is an incredibly elegant solution.

9. dsm363

Only two were road debris though. The other was ramming through a concrete wall at 100 mph which this fix doesn't address. I realize several can technically cover it but If it is only two or three he should say that.

10. markb1

markb1 Active Member

I think it's actually an aluminum extrusion and a titanium plate. At least, that's what Elon says: Tesla Adds Titanium Underbody Shield and Aluminum Deflector Plates to Model S | Blog | Tesla Motors

11. scaesare

scaesare Active Member

This.

Three pieces are described: a leading round hollow aluminum crossmember, a subsequent flat Ti plate, and then a shallow-angle aluminum extrusion. In the "main" thread on this subject (which I expect this will eventually get merged in to), we have pictures where the last 2 items are visible.

12. lolachampcar

lolachampcar Active Member

That makes more sense. Thank you for the correction.

13. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

That Consumer Reports video was shockingly inaccurate. The description of the titanium plate was wrong, there was no mention of the two aluminum pieces, and calling TWO road debris accidents "several" is simply wrong.

It would have been so easy to get the facts right

14. zdre

zdre 40kWh Model S P6415

Here is what the aluminum extrusions and the titanium plate look like. They are installed in the front of the battery to protect the 90° angle in front of the battery and deflect or crush anything that impacts it.
    uploadfromtaptalk1396399428262.jpg

15. markb1

markb1 Active Member

Wow, that plate is much smaller than I imagined. Thanks for the pics!

16. EarlyAdopter

EarlyAdopter Active Member

That can't be more than $50 in parts. Add in $125 for an hour of labor and we're looking at most $5M to retrofit the entire existing fleet of 30k cars.

Going forward there's no way that's going to affect margins in any measurable way on new cars. Smart business and good engineering here.

17. JPP

JPP Active Member

CR needs to go get the update/upgrade, then put their S back up on the lift and have a look-see. Then maybe they could get their report correct. zdre has the photos above, I've had it installed. See many other cross posts on the subject.

18. Splunge

Splunge Member

I had mine installed today. 2014-04-01_21h56_44.jpg 2014-04-01 21.46.40.jpg 2014-04-01 21.46.32.jpg 2014-04-01 21.46.23.jpg 2014-04-01 21.46.16.jpg 2014-04-01 18.36.08.jpg

19. DaveT

DaveT Searcher of green pastures

Did you get all three pieces installed? Could you post photos of those as well?

20. clintons

clintons Member

Happy get a good visual of the completed installation. It's hard to imagine any aerodynamic penalty as the modification appears to fit flush with the battery. I assume that the plastic shield must be trimmed back to accommodate the visible aluminium piece? Maybe some Speed Tape would close that gap.