Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla adds Titanium Underbody Shield to Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'd expect a swap station to be one or two orders of magnitude harder to keep in working operation compared to a Supercharger. Wasn't Hawthorne one of the first? If so it probably has version 1.0 or maybe 0.9 SC.

I was just researching a reply to a Seeking Alpha article attempting FUD about costs of the titanium underbody shield, when i came across an article I hadn't seen: this 02May2014 Consumer Reports video on their test car's installation. Just for reference:

"Tesla has developed a bolt-on deflector assembly available free to current owners. This change has been incorporated into new cars, and our Model S has been given this simple, efficient upgrade...In some circles online, there were assumptions that the shield would cover the entire battery—that would have been costly and would add weight. And, according to NHTSA’s summary of events, it was debris strikes against the battery’s front edge that precipitated the only two fires known to date.If Tesla’s debris-deflector works as anticipated, it’s an elegantly simple solution. The new components are unlikely to change the aerodynamics of the car or add any significant weight.
Having our upgrade made was a simple process, aided by the Tesla service center in Milford, Conn., picking up the car and returning it in two days, at no charge. We applaud the way Tesla has addressed this risk and appreciate the customer service. Other automakers would do well to emulate how this young company deals with potential problems.

Our Tesla Model S Receives Extra Battery Protection - Consumer Reports News

More photos, and interesting description of the shield parts, from Edmunds.com May 27, 2014
Underbody (Battery) Shield Kit Installed - 2013 Tesla Model S Long-Term Road Test

2013_tesla_models_det_lt_5221409_600.jpg

There are three main parts: a forward-mounted Skid Bar (green), a stamped titanium Bash Plate (black) and an extruded aluminum Bash Plate (yellow).

The Skid Bar is there to contact the item well forward of the leading edge of the battery to get it tumbling and encourage it to "pike upwards" before it gets to the battery rather than into the battery. This sacrificial part is hollow so that it will deform instead of the subframe to which it's attached.

The two bash plates are built to conceal, protect and bridge over the lower edge of the battery box, the zone where the two debris-strike incidents did their damage. If the object isn't deformable they're designed to ramp over it.

What is owners' experience with having the underbody deflector and shield installed at annual service? I thought it would be done routinely as part of the service, based on the wording of the blog post announcing it in March, but mine was not installed when my car had its overdue annual service in Austin yesterday. I saw it wasn't listed on the service record so I asked about it was told they only do it on request because it cuts range by 1 or 2%.

What is owners' experience with having the underbody deflector and shield installed at annual service? I thought it would be done routinely as part of the service, based on the wording of the blog post announcing it in March, but mine was not installed when my car had its overdue annual service in Austin yesterday. I saw it wasn't listed on the service record so I asked about it was told they only do it on request because it cuts range by 1 or 2%.

I seriously doubt it cuts range by anywhere near that amount. I'd suggest 1% maximum, and where it's located it's more likely to help rather than hinder airflow. I haven't been able to tell the difference in range. However, I don't recall if I had to ask or if they just did it. (The service sheet says customer request, but all of the items seem to say that, so it appears to be just boilerplate.)

I saw it wasn't listed on the service record so I asked about it was told they only do it on request because it cuts range by 1 or 2%.

If it is affecting my range, it's so far down in the normal day-to-day variations that it is unperceivable to me.

- - - Updated - - -

my family adds that much in a bad week.

I might add that much after a bad lunch :tongue:

Ditto. I requested it when it first came out and I've notice zero range impact... that's not to say there isn't any, but other factors (weather, weight in the car, traffic conditions, etc...) make so much more of an impact that I can't see any effect. My recent tire change had far more noticeable impact than the armor did.