Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla adds Titanium Underbody Shield to Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wow, that report is huge. Lot of good nuggets in there. The ride height ess proven to make a difference.... But later it was uncertain if it would have made a difference in the other one. Also, it sounds like they are expecting the ride height to be raised and the titanium plate installed on all vehicles. It doesn't sound like they are requiring it though. Also the gaff that Tesla was able to consistently cause the exact same damage and results consistently prove it wasn't a freak accident that was a one time thing. I still wouldn't be surprised if a mandatory recall for this (and possibly to have the ride height increased) is around the corner. It's absolutely obvious now that 5.9 was waiting for their investigation to finish. It does suggest that a recall to raise the ride height is very unlikely since Tesla seemed to wait until they had everything wrapped up to release 5.9. Thedisclaimer in the last line is masterful, but possibly means that a recall next week might still be in the works.

Spoke to SC about another matter and asked them about this. It is real. They do not have the parts yet but said they are supposed to get a memo later today with more details and timeframe for the parts.

My Model S has suffered from some corrosion due to dissimilar metals in contact with each other (some sort of front support brace, side mirror mounts). Will this be an issue with titanium and aluminum? Could it create crevices where road salt and brine might accumulate causing problems? I would like to think Tesla has considered this, but since I've already had corrosion problems, I have to wonder.

As noted on NTSHA Report "A defect trend has not been identified" = No Recall

I think what NHTSA are acknowledging is that even though the damage was repeatable under certain circumstances, given the 180 MILLION miles accumulated thus far, it is still a very rare event and outcome. This means they could not reasonably attribute a trend to the limited data. Someone there actually understands statistics!

That said, I will probably get the shield, and then set the 5.9 ride-height setting to "Always"!

I am calling my service center today since my car is already there. Who wants to take a bet that they don't have the parts there yet and probably don't know what I am talking about? ;)

in any case, another sign from Tesla that they are a different(read:superior) type of car company. GM- are you watching this???

I called Dania Beach and, in typical Tesla fashion of having Top Down policy announcements, they didn't have a clue when the installations will start.

What is still not clear to me is if this is mandatory or optional. The quote is:

Starting with vehicle bodies manufactured as of March 6, all cars have been outfitted with a triple underbody shield. Tesla service will also retrofit the shields, free of charge, to existing cars upon request or as part of a normally scheduled service.

So, that means optional before normal scheduled service and mandatory at service, or optional for both?

Gotta say, I'm a bit worried about this. I placed my order a few weeks ago, and although I have a somewhat steep driveway, I did not get the air suspension because I did some measurements and figured that 6 inches should be enough ground clearance. It's not clear how much these additional plates are going to hang down, though.

If numbers come out and it looks bad, I wonder if I'll be able to call the factory and opt out. Given how unnecessary the extra plating seems to be, I'm also a bit reluctant in general to accept a heavier car. Even if it only affects range by 0.1% like Elon says, extra weight could mean higher registration fees (and increased tire wear too, I'd imagine).

Gotta say, I'm a bit worried about this. I placed my order a few weeks ago, and although I have a somewhat steep driveway, I did not get the air suspension because I did some measurements and figured that 6 inches should be enough ground clearance. It's not clear how much these additional plates are going to hang down, though.

If numbers come out and it looks bad, I wonder if I'll be able to call the factory and opt out. Given how unnecessary the extra plating seems to be, I'm also a bit reluctant in general to accept a heavier car. Even if it only affects range by 0.1% like Elon says, extra weight could mean higher registration fees (and increased tire wear too, I'd imagine).

You can stop worrying. This isn't going to add a lot of weight.

And holy cow those videos are cool.