TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Tesla adds Titanium Underbody Shield to Model S

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by Jgdixon, Mar 28, 2014.

1. PaulusdB

PaulusdB Mayor Gnomus Vintage Limb

That ship has sailed. We're all Guinea pigs, here.

2. Canuck

Canuck Well-Known Member

True, but when they herd us, you're first... I'll be lagging behind... ;0)

3. stephenpace

stephenpace VIN S00219

Ha, yes, me especially. My car probably isn't the best for them to learn on since there are so many different parts on a Sig already.

4. Chris Naps

Chris Naps Member

#104 Chris Naps, Mar 28, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2014
  5. Al Sherman

Al Sherman It's about THIS car.

Elon's the man. It's as if he's standing at the plate with a bat, and pitchers are throwing 100 mph fastballs at him from everywhere. He just calmly knocks them out of the park. Very impressive.

6. NoMoGas

NoMoGas Supporting Member

#106 NoMoGas, Mar 28, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2014
    So your theory is NHTSA investigated, concluded their investigation in record time, found fault with the design, leaked the results to Tesla who then engineered, designed and manufactured these 3 separate items, tested them on 152 vehicles over time so they could beat the NHTSA investigation report that FOUND NO DEFECT TREND and CLOSED the investigation?

ORRRRRR... Tesla began designing this the moment the 1st and certainly the 2nd fire happened because a) They actually do care about safety, b) They care about public perception, and c) They care about the company's sustainability.

This is right in line with what Tesla does. Exceptional design with almost an OCD level of commitment to build the safest car ever.

7. anticitizen13.7

anticitizen13.7 Not posting at TMC after 9/17/2018

Does anyone know exactly how the new plate is attached to the vehicle? I assume there would be a spacer of some kind, but it would be nice to know the specifics.

8. Canuck

Canuck Well-Known Member

I wonder if this new plate will affect the battery swap?

9. EarlyAdopter

EarlyAdopter Active Member

That silver-gray metal piece just in front of the battery looks new. That black panel is a plastic aerodynamic shield that has always been there.

10. Kipernicus

Kipernicus Model S Res#P1440

Maybe the titanium shield is hidden behind the black plastic?

11. hockeythug

hockeythug Active Member

I'm guessing that is this:

The other two shields must be under the plastic aeroshield.

12. JRP3

JRP3 Hyperactive Member

There was some sort of bar there previously:

2013_tesla_model-s_det_lt_11071301_600.jpg

13. scaesare

scaesare Well-Known Member

Ah, had missed that in the quote, and hadn't known that about the car. Very cool.

Thanks.

14. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

Here is a photo of the leading edge of the battery of the S85 my mother just took delivery on this week (taken from just behind the passenger side front wheel) showing what I believe is the new "Aluminum Deflector Plate" that Elon discussed in his blog post:

Model-S-new-aluminum-deflector-plate.jpg

And here is a photo of approximately the same area on my Dec. 2013 delivered S85. Obviously there is no deflector plate:

Model-S-old-style-battery.jpg

What I am not yet clear on is where the new "Titanium Underbody Shield" is located. Is it forward of the new deflector plate, or built into the bottom of the battery case? (Though the bottom of the battery case looks the same in both photos)

15. jerry33

jerry33 (S85-3/2/13 traded in) X LR: F2611##-3/27/20

Or, the reason it reduces the range so little is that the electric current between the dissimilar metals charges the battery :)

16. GeekGirls

GeekGirls Kid in Candy Store

Many thanks to those who posted photos of the shielding. I was concerned about losing clearance height, which would be a huge problem since I can barely make it over our driveway lip as it is. From the looks of things it's a complete non-issue. It looks like a smart, elegant retrofit. I guess I should have expected no less from Tesla.

17. Kraken

Kraken Member

You have the perfect opportunity to find out the weight difference between the two cars. Would you mind taking them to a scale (not that I advertise taking a model s to a landfill, but most landfills have a scale)?

i recommend taking everything out of the car and having similar charges. Are there any spec differences that might come into play (child seats, pano roof, suspension, dual charger)?

alternatively, I'll volunteer to do the same with anyone who has a child seat less p85+ with dual chargers, pano roof, and air suspension who just picked their car up this month and lives in the bay area or sacramento.

18. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

The two cars I posted photos of are 417 miles apart.

19. JRP3

JRP3 Hyperactive Member

I'd guess it either replaces what used to be the black plastic panel in front of the new cross bar or it's just above it.

20. anticitizen13.7

anticitizen13.7 Not posting at TMC after 9/17/2018

The videos that Elon posted are pretty impressive. The tow hitch piece, concrete block, and alternator are crushed into pieces before they even get close to the battery pack.

This does inspire a lot of confidence :)