Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla adds Titanium Underbody Shield to Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Exactly! If I am already driving the safest passenger vehicle ever made; if I have already driven it thousands of miles without incident; if I am totally content with the current safety features, then I am going to have it done at MY convenience if I have it done at all.

All very valid points. In addition, the Tesla guarantee of replacement in case of battery fire lessens the need for an immediate fix.

Finally, an actual photo of the Titanium plate, thank you NYTimes or whomever they got it from. The plate is placed vertically so is smaller than if it horizontally spanned the space between the two companion aluminum pieces. The plate is bolted at the top and its bottom edge seems to be simply inserted into the alum cross piece (no bolts needed here). Well done TM Engineers!

Titanium Plate = #2:

13TESLA-GRAPHIC-master675.jpg

--

How does this addition affect battery swaps?

You know, I just thought I'd check back in on this as I'll be getting my tire rotation soon. I know that they're going to offer the battery shield and wanted to brush up on it and make sure I wouldn't be getting something that I'd later regret. While I doubt that they would eliminate this functionality, it did give me some pause. I got to thinking of what other unintended consequences this might have. Has anyone experienced side effects from the installation?

No side effects here. But The way that T-shaped bar is attached I cannot see how battery swaps will work without some modification. It overlaps the edge of the battery and the chassis.

But then, I'm skeptical we will see battery swaps in the current Model S as demonstrated in that stage presentation.

No side effects here. But The way that T-shaped bar is attached I cannot see how battery swaps will work without some modification. It overlaps the edge of the battery and the chassis.

But then, I'm skeptical we will see battery swaps in the current Model S as demonstrated in that stage presentation.

Given the change in how California ARB credit's are being provided, I will have to second the skepticism on the release of battery swaps.

Drive a Model S for less than a month and you get used to how long it will take you to charge and plan accordingly. And if you experience the congestion that often happens in Hawthorne Supercharger, you learn to create a buffer.

I do see a benefit of the battery swaps. As the Supercharging stations become older some will naturally break down. I've had a handful of times where the charger's not performing as it should, which increased my time at the station.

I do see a benefit of the battery swaps. As the Supercharging stations become older some will naturally break down. I've had a handful of times where the charger's not performing as it should, which increased my time at the station.

I agree... In fact that happens a lot now. The Hawthorne Supercharger has outages with at least one station every three times I've stopped there... And I don't go that often.