TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Tesla advantage few are discussing

Discussion in 'Tesla' started by kbM3, Jun 5, 2017.

1. kbM3

kbM3 Member

I see many comparisons between Tesla and other vehicles with people mentioning quite a few Tesla advantages. There is one that I hardly ever see mentioned:

Autopilot safety is standard.

To me this means that automatic emergency braking is currently included in all existing AP2 Teslas as well as the upcoming Model 3. In the future this should also include collision avoidance path planning including steering, acceleration and braking as autopilot software is continuously updated.

If this is true, every Tesla (since AP2) will be getting safer every year it is driven. This should also result in reduced insurance premiums over time.

What do you all think?

• Like x 2
  2. Tam

Tam Active Member

AEB is standard and it is not listed under Autopilot.

Autopilot is not standard, and you need to pay for that option to use it.

AEB is not collision avoidance. It is collision allowed. It brakes to slow you car down but not to a complete stop and allows your car to collide with less force.

Atutopilot's goal is collision avoidance.

To sum up, the public often think AEB as a part of Autopilot. However, according to Tesla classification, pricing, and safety, the two are very different in Tesla classification, pricing, and safety.

3. kort677

kort677 Active Member

are you aware that many vehicles have some sort of AEB system. it is not unique at all.

• Like x 1
  4. kbM3

kbM3 Member

At the model three unveiling Elon said that auto pilot safety features would be standard. I assume this would also mean collision avoidance strategies.

Autopilot convenience features are extra.

Elon seems very passionate about safety. Do you think he would not include emergency auto steer once software is ready?

5. Az_Rael

Az_Rael Supporting Member

I think people don't talk about it because it isn't a Tesla unique advantage.

This site lists automakers and what safety systems are standard. Some of them come with standard safety features Tesla doesn't (like rear cross traffic AEB for when backing up)
    Cars With Advanced Safety Systems

• Like x 1
  6. kbM3

kbM3 Member

#6 kbM3, Jun 5, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2017
    No car today comes with auto steer collision avoidance capability. No car being sold today (With the exception of Tesla) have the hardware capable of this (and software upgrade capability).

Note, I am assuming that the autopilot can wrest control of the steering in an emergency when being driven in manual mode. I do not know if the steering system is capable of this, but I assume so. If not, maybe this whole discussion is a moot point.

• Like x 1
  7. MS16

MS16 Member

Mercedes introduced evasive steering assist a year ago and Volvo has it this year. Ford releases it next year.

8. kbM3

kbM3 Member

Thanks for the info. I did not know that. I just looked it up and it appears the Mercedes system does seem to require the driver to provide the initial steering input. I wonder how Tesla will handle it?

9. favo

favo Model 3 Reservation Holder

The cool thing is that Tesla can release new and/or improved safety features and easily push those out to all existing AP v2 (and maybe v1) hardware-equipped cars. OTA updates of this sort are unique to Tesla for now (AFAIK).