Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla adventure in Outback Queensland and North-QLD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
To conclude the report of this trip I can say that we enjoyed being a trailblazer and we hope other EV drivers will follow suit.
We drove approximately 6400 km on this trip in 21 days and only used 1 QLD Government sponsored DC fast charger...
Along the way we were able to establish many new charging points and we added 20 new charging spots to the Plugshare app, see below:
View attachment 252220
I also wanted to take the chance to officially thank my spouse for her support and patience during this interesting but tiring trip.
Luckily for other EV drivers to do this routes now it will be a lot easier without wasting time for searching where to charge.

Here are some other destinations in N-QLD that are attractive and waiting to be visited by other EV drivers!
As a Tesla owner (for last 12 months and 19,000km on the odo) near Calliope in Central Queensland, Marc's trip is music to my ears. You don't have to live in a town or city to have a Tesla! I can't wait to welcome more Tesla owners up this way. Off to have a few days in Bundaberg and district in a couple of weeks, meeting enthusiasts there.

I love it when you see a comment from someone being semi-sarcastic and you have a 100% perfect response to them :)

Living the electric dream - motoring.com.au
upload_2017-10-22_23-45-37.png

They've now been directed to @Dylanpete 's contribution to Plugshare :)

To conclude the report of this trip I can say that we enjoyed being a trailblazer and we hope other EV drivers will follow suit.
We drove approximately 6400 km on this trip in 21 days and only used 1 QLD Government sponsored DC fast charger...
Along the way we were able to establish many new charging points and we added 20 new charging spots to the Plugshare app, see below:
View attachment 252220
I also wanted to take the chance to officially thank my spouse for her support and patience during this interesting but tiring trip.
Luckily for other EV drivers to do this routes now it will be a lot easier without wasting time for searching where to charge.

Here are some other destinations in N-QLD that are attractive and waiting to be visited by other EV drivers!
Congratulations. An absolutely sensational pioneering effort. I'm a Model 3 reservationist and had been thinking about off the beaten track possibilities. What you have achieved has blown those thoughts completely out of the water and opened up possibilities I hadn't dreamed of so a very big THANK YOU.
Hopefully in early 2019 I will revisit this record of your pioneering adventures and plan to retrace at least some of your epic journey.

Reactions: RichardMcN and Chuq
Congratulations. An absolutely sensational pioneering effort. I'm a Model 3 reservationist and had been thinking about off the beaten track possibilities. What you have achieved has blown those thoughts completely out of the water and opened up possibilities I hadn't dreamed of so a very big THANK YOU.
Hopefully in early 2019 I will revisit this record of your pioneering adventures and plan to retrace at least some of your epic journey.
Thanks for your kind words Nuclearfusion. If I can be of any help when you plan to retrace part of the trip, please let me know!

Reactions: RichardMcN
Thanks for your kind words Nuclearfusion. If I can be of any help when you plan to retrace part of the trip, please let me know!
Many thanks for the offer. Logged on this morning to find the estimated delivery for my Model 3 slipped from "early 2019" to a bland "2019" so I suspect we are in for a long wait for the Model 3 in Oz, and and me for the Queensland trip.

Delivery pushback.jpg

Reactions: RichardMcN
I might be a bit late to the party… I was researching something else and happened upon this thread and wow, I’ve just spent the last 90mins reading it all the way through, what a wonderful journey/report/photos and service to other EV drivers. Amazing to read.

One question though, what 3P plugs did you find most prevalent? 20A or 32A? Or would you recommend people just get both types to be safe? Like if 80% of plugs are 32A you could probably get by with only getting the 32A one. (I am probably thinking in general, not just the top end)

...20A or 32A? Or would you recommend people just get both types to be safe? Like if 80% of plugs are 32A you could probably get by with only getting the 32A one. (I am probably thinking in general, not just the top end)

32A is a lot more common in my experience although I’m thankful to have had a 20A plug at least once on my travels. That was Gin Gin Showgrounds but now CHAdeMO would be way more useful with the QLD Electric Superhighway all the way to Cairns.

If you’re planning remote trips, get the lot including 15A. Possibly consider an EVSE like the Juice Booster 2.

I might be a bit late to the party… I was researching something else and happened upon this thread and wow, I’ve just spent the last 90mins reading it all the way through, what a wonderful journey/report/photos and service to other EV drivers. Amazing to read.

One question though, what 3P plugs did you find most prevalent? 20A or 32A? Or would you recommend people just get both types to be safe? Like if 80% of plugs are 32A you could probably get by with only getting the 32A one. (I am probably thinking in general, not just the top end)

I'm currently Tesla travelling through beautiful Norway, what a splendid experience!
Rockford, I 100% concur with what Whitestar answered you. 32A is the most common but you'll be happy to have a 20A adapter tail once in a while. And if you don't happen to find a 3 phase socket, the 15A single phase will help you further on camping grounds.
You can buy a Juice Booster 2 in Australia here: Juice Booster 2

A bump to an old thread, but probably the best spot to ask the question: I've recently done a before/after of Plugshare locations in Australia, Nov 2017 vs March 2019. I've noticed that the Longreach location has disappeared? Does anyone know what happened to it?

A bump to an old thread, but probably the best spot to ask the question: I've recently done a before/after of Plugshare locations in Australia, Nov 2017 vs March 2019. I've noticed that the Longreach location has disappeared? Does anyone know what happened to it?
Hi Chuq, just a quick answer from the airport lounge: the last I heard about that plugshare location is that there was a change in daily management and that they weren't sure if they could assure Tesla customers there would be space to park close to the workshop where the socket was located. So possibly they canceled it? There were some other potential places in Longreach so I wouldn't worry about finding a charging spot.