Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Advertising Now?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla sent out an email to Texans on their "subscriber list" today ("Tesla in Texas: Be Part of the Revolution") which is basically just an advertisement for the Model S, touting some of the features of the car. I'm used to getting updates and blog posts, but this one is different. No new information, if you already own the car.

Second part I found interesting was this blurb about autopilot.
Screen Shot 2015-06-15 at 10.28.27 AM.png

I know it is similarly worded on the website, but there is a note on the website about future software updates enabling these features. This one plainly says "now enabled" on every Model S. Is anyone else worried that this might open Tesla up to false advertising claims by uninformed people who buy the car expecting it to work right away?

Screen Shot 2015-06-15 at 10.58.05 AM.png

Screen Shot 2015-06-15 at 10.58.16 AM.png

Screen Shot 2015-06-15 at 10.58.49 AM.png

Interesting, I didn't get this email. I like it though. I think they could afford to do some small advertising to get some word out, especially in our stubborn state.

As long as I don't see, "If I don't beat a new Tesla deal in Texas...I'm jus' gonna give it to ya!" TV commercial.

Second part I found interesting was this blurb about autopilot.
View attachment 84152
I know it is similarly worded on the website, but there is a note on the website about future software updates enabling these features. This one plainly says "now enabled" on every Model S. Is anyone else worried that this might open Tesla up to false advertising claims by uninformed people who buy the car expecting it to work right away?

The phrase in question being "All the hardware needed for Autopilot capability on the highway, and to park itself, is now enabled on every Model S"
While I can understand your interpretation of it, I think it is specifically referring to the hardware itself (not programming). Perhaps if they used the word Included instead of Enabled, it would have been less ambiguous.

That is true, but when you think about "traditional" advertising (TV, Radio, Magazines, Newspapers, etc), their lack of participation in those areas is pretty unique.

I would imagine that around the time we see the Model 3 entering production as a car priced for mass consumption, then maybe we'll see some advertising campaigns to inform the masses.

That is true, but when you think about "traditional" advertising (TV, Radio, Magazines, Newspapers, etc), their lack of participation in those areas is pretty unique.

I would imagine that around the time we see the Model 3 entering production as a car priced for mass consumption, then maybe we'll see some advertising campaigns to inform the masses.
I would think just the opposite. When the Model 3 enters production I think they are going to be even more production constrained than they are now. It makes no sense to spend money on advertising when every car you make, and can make in the foreseeable future, is already spoken for. If every car is built to customer specification why would there be a need to waste money on advertising?

18 months ago:
Elon Musk in München - Tesla - YouTube

Why doesn't Elon Musk pay for advertising for Tesla? : teslamotors

Elon believes that advertising is by default manipulative/dishonest. You sign up for information and decide to buy one, you aren't told to. I can't remember where he brought it up. It might of been in the first Wait but why article

http://waitbutwhy.com/2015/05/elon-musk-the-worlds-raddest-man.html

...he refuses to advertise for Tesla, something most startup car companies wouldn’t think twice about—because he sees advertising as manipulative and dishonest...

Last edited:
Tesla does advertise, they just don't pay for advertising...

Every Supercharger Station built is a form of advertising.
TM put electrical service @ various locations, and then the cars start showing up.

Thus: Tesla DOES pay for advertising (Superchargers are NOT free to build), just not a traditional 30 second ad on the local news or during the Superbowl, or ads in the local newspaper.
And every Tesla being driven on the road is a form of advertising, turning the world into an ever EV-populated place, one car at a time.

(No ad in my e-mail to date.)