Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Advisor: Price increase on Model Y coming

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
tenor.gif

I MUST HAVE THE SINGLE CASTING!!!!!!!!!!!! AHHHHHHHHHHHH

/sarcasm

... If Tesla does not drop their price asap (did someone mentioned increase?) i can see them in big trouble
Perhaps that is why stock dropped 10% today? Although I don't think they need to drop the price until competition is actually available. The first vw id.4's are going to cost $45K before incentives, then $5K cut mid year next year, then another $5K cut in 2022.

Perhaps that is why stock dropped 10% today? Although I don't think they need to drop the price until competition is actually available. The first vw id.4's are going to cost $45K before incentives, then $5K cut mid year next year, then another $5K cut in 2022.

True but we need more options.
What we have now does not have sense.
$50k for MY AWD.
I want RWD. And i want it cheaper.
But if MY AWD comes with at least with 350 miles range i would buy it asap.
Then we can talk about longer trips with 3 children in Nevada-Arizona desert.
315 miles range ( real world in summer heat 200-250) is not enough.
Or make MY with low range (250 miles) for city driving for $40k. I would buy that asap too.

I just got ANOTHER text and call... this time from a SA telling me that I should place an order now to lock in pricing and that they would cover the order fee with $100 accessories credit. I asked what she meant by locking in the price and she said “if you order today, and there’s a price increase on January 1st, you’ll be locked in at the lower price. And if the price should drop, we’d work to get you the new pricing. Also, you would have 6 months from today to take delivery at the locked in price”

I just got ANOTHER text and call... this time from a SA telling me that I should place an order now to lock in pricing and that they would cover the order fee with $100 accessories credit. I asked what she meant by locking in the price and she said “if you order today, and there’s a price increase on January 1st, you’ll be locked in at the lower price. And if the price should drop, we’d work to get you the new pricing. Also, you would have 6 months from today to take delivery at the locked in price”
Like many have said: I don’t think Tesla can increase price with the ID.4 (and it’s low price) coming over.

Reactions: DanCar
The 6 month hold thing is not true. You have as long as you want for the model to go into production. I placed an order for my Y 2 weeks ago and let my SA know I don’t want it to go into production till May 3, 21, he said no problem and put the note in the system when I placed my order. I am waiting till May since my current lease expires in august 21.

it’s a no brained to lock the pricing in for $100 now if you plan to get the car in the future.

I also did all this in person after an over night test drive.

I'm in agreement with the others that believe the price isn't going up without a signifiant increase in range or function. Too much competition on the near horizon.

If I were to make a guess, I think the sales team might be trying to get people to psychology lock into buying the Y with an order before the VW ID4 goes on sale. VW has a compelling product that is competitively priced (especially with the tax credit). Would be a great grocery getter or kid taxi that rarely (or never) needs to leaves town.

Reactions: Maryland
Like many have said: I don’t think Tesla can increase price with the ID.4 (and it’s low price) coming over.

~250 mile range (from an 80kWh+ pack!), ~200 hp (!), and no superchargers...

Don’t get me wrong, I’m sure it’s an absolutely fine car and probably a good go at an EV for VW, but this competes against the likes of Chevy Bolt or Kona EV, not Tesla.

Maybe you could say this goes up against the Model 3 SR+, but in a larger crossover configuration. Well the SR+ is $40k and would be $32.5k if Uncle Sam still helped Tesla out... that’s not all that far off the VW price...

I mean does a RAV4 drag sales away from an Audi Q5?

• Love
Reactions: rxlawdude
Don't get me wrong... we're sold on the Y, but as I said, if you just need a second car grocery getter or kid taxi that rarely (or never) needs to leave town the ID.4 will be compelling to many. Who needs more than 250 mile range and superchargers to get to soccer practice and back? You get the same space (68.0 vs. 64.2 cubic feet) with a reasonably comparable interior, for close to $30k after incentives. A $20K difference can be mighty persuasive for may purchasers.

ID4 RWD "standard" edition is $40K, the nice "1st Edition" with the panoramic glass roof, 20" tires, LED headlamps, etc.. is $44K. Now add AWD and it will probably be $49K which is the same price as the AWD MY. The only thing the ID4 has going for it is the $7.5K fed tax credit, but it's got less range, no SC network and it's made by a company that's been making EV's for 5 min vs 10+yrs. Granted VW fit and finish will no doubt be up to expected car manufacturer standards vs Tesla's hit and or miss "within spec" standards, but I'd still rather have the MY.

Let me try another approach here since the conversation has turned into a feature v. feature defense of the Model Y. There are other posts for that conversation.

Regardless of your view of the ID.4, shiploads will start arriving in the US in the next 12 months and can be purchased (for as low as ~$30K after incentives by mid-21). If I were in Tesla sales, I'd want to get as many potential Y buyers psychology locked into buying the Y before they get distracted by the ID.4, Mach E, or the soon to available Nissan Ariya. To do that Tesla needs to create a since of urgency to move sales. Claiming a price hike is imminent is a plausible way to do that.