Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Advisor: Price increase on Model Y coming

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
ID4 RWD "standard" edition is $40K, the nice "1st Edition" with the panoramic glass roof, 20" tires, LED headlamps, etc.. is $44K. Now add AWD and it will probably be $49K which is the same price as the AWD MY. The only thing the ID4 has going for it is the $7.5K fed tax credit, but it's got less range, no SC network and it's made by a company that's been making EV's for 5 min vs 10+yrs. Granted VW fit and finish will no doubt be up to expected car manufacturer standards vs Tesla's hit and or miss "within spec" standards, but I'd still rather have the MY.
  • A 1st Edition model with 201hp will launch by the end of the year, priced at $45,190, with other variants available in the first quarter of 2021 starting at $41,190.
  • An AWD version with 302hp will be available by the end of 2021 priced starting at $44,890, and VW says a less expensive base version ("around $35,000") will go on sale in 2022 with a smaller battery pack.
  • The vehicle will initially be built in Germany, but in 2022, production will move to Volkswagen’s Chattanooga, Tennessee, plant. At that time, the starting price will drop to $36,195 for RWD and $39,895 for AWD.
The Model Y will have advantages over the ID4 such as Autopilot/FSD, greater range, supercharging, technology, performance. If any or all of those things are not important to you, the ID4 sounds like a fantastic option. The pricing is fantastic for what you get (especially once production begins in Chattanooga).

I have a sneaking suspicion the RWD MY will spec like the M3 SR+. RWD, non-premium interior, non-premium audio, lower range, low $40k pricing.

ID.4 looks more like a Toyota RAV-4 competitor. Also, pricing is for rear-wheel only since MEB platform currently only supports rear wheel drive. Still VW will sell a ton. Especially while they have the $7,500 EV credit. Also, good to see they will be built in South Caroline in 2022.

ID.4 looks more like a Toyota RAV-4 competitor.

The ID4 and Model Y (Like the Mach e) are almost identical in size and interior space.

VW-ID.4-Tesla-MOdel-Y-comparison-hero.jpg

• A 1st Edition model with 201hp will launch by the end of the year, priced at $45,190, with other variants available in the first quarter of 2021 starting at $41,190.
  • An AWD version with 302hp will be available by the end of 2021 priced starting at $44,890, and VW says a less expensive base version ("around $35,000") will go on sale in 2022 with a smaller battery pack.
  • The vehicle will initially be built in Germany, but in 2022, production will move to Volkswagen’s Chattanooga, Tennessee, plant. At that time, the starting price will drop to $36,195 for RWD and $39,895 for AWD.
The Model Y will have advantages over the ID4 such as Autopilot/FSD, greater range, supercharging, technology, performance. If any or all of those things are not important to you, the ID4 sounds like a fantastic option. The pricing is fantastic for what you get (especially once production begins in Chattanooga).

I have a sneaking suspicion the RWD MY will spec like the M3 SR+. RWD, non-premium interior, non-premium audio, lower range, low $40k pricing.

Elon already said new cars will have at least 300 miles range.
He does not want to make new models with low range.
And maybe paying for premium interior will be an option

ID.4 looks more like a Toyota RAV-4 competitor. Also, pricing is for rear-wheel only since MEB platform currently only supports rear wheel drive. Still VW will sell a ton. Especially while they have the $7,500 EV credit. Also, good to see they will be built in South Caroline in 2022.

And remember nobody pays full price at a VW dealership. There is always some sale, incentives, discounts, coupon, whatever...

The PHEV RAV-4 starts at $38,100 before gimmicks and also has the $7,500 so it would also be around $30,000 -- if price was your main focus.

I still believe there isn't a lot of room for Tesla to raise the price -- if at all.

FWIW, the RAV-4 actually has a little more cargo room (69.8 cubic feet) than the Y (68 cubic feet) or the ID.4 (64.2 cubic feet) -- but of course no frunk.

Last edited:
And remember nobody pays full price at a VW dealership. There is always some sale, incentives, discounts, coupon, whatever...

The PHEV RAV-4 starts at $38,100 before gimmicks and also has the $7,500 so it would also be around $30,000 -- if price was your main focus.

I still believe there isn't a lot of room for Tesla to raise the price -- if at all.

FWIW, the RAV-4 actually has a little more cargo room (69.8 cubic feet) than the Y (68 cubic feet) or the ID.4 (64.2 cubic feet) -- but of course no frunk.

The ID.4 is down by over 100 hp compared to the Tesla though AND 50+ miles range... I still could see Tesla increasing the price a little on the AWD if they bring out a RWD with ~330 miles of range or so. I don't think they'll just jack prices up in general, I think it'll be to make room for a RWD version. I really don't think Elon wants the Model 3 and Model Y to cross over in price, even if one is RWD and one is AWD. I also don't think he's too keen on dropping prices right now, in fact, the SR+ saw a price increase a little bit last year. Once they get cost savings on batteries in a couple years then yes, I think we'll see prices drop a decent amount and we might se some downward nudges between now and then, but I wouldn't be surprised if we saw adjustments to squeeze everything out they can as long as the order book keeps up....

At least early on, you're more likely to see dealer markup if the demand is there (and if it isn't, the car is doomed anyway). In the long run, who's to say that VW will actually exert downward pressure on Tesla's prices, as opposed to Tesla exerting upward pressure on VW's? Both companies are trying to make a profit. Plus, VW will probably see added costs associated with training sales and service people, retooling service departments, etc.

At least early on, you're more likely to see dealer markup if the demand is there (and if it isn't, the car is doomed anyway). In the long run, who's to say that VW will actually exert downward pressure on Tesla's prices, as opposed to Tesla exerting upward pressure on VW's? Both companies are trying to make a profit. Plus, VW will probably see added costs associated with training sales and service people, retooling service departments, etc.

And people still aren't comparing it to the Chevy Bolt or Model 3 SR+, which is more close spec wise than the Model Y right now. It's the same range as the SR+ (while having a MUCH larger battery), and even down on power a little compared to the SR+. Yes it has the shape and room of a cross over like the Y, but again, does the Rav4 take sales away from an Audi Q5? I think those are largely two different markets for car buyers. I think Bolt and Kona EV buyers are more likely to cross shop the ID.4 than Tesla buyers (who are most likely Merc/BMW/Audi converts).

I read somewhere else that the limit was only 2000 First Edition models, so it isn't quite as impressive as it sounds....

Agreed. Nevertheless, those represent 2,000 fewer Model Y's. When you work in sales, you want it all!

The lower number also leaves speculation to what the actual market demand is for the ID.4. Were there 2,001 buyers ready to purchase, 4,000, or perhaps 20,000?

Edit: I'll add, as many on this thread have pointed out, the only real advantage the ID.4 has over a Model Y is price. This is one piece of anecdotal evidence that lower prices could potentially boost Model Y sales (but not necessarily profitability). All we all know raising the price would decrease demand (but not necessarily profitability). I'm still willing to speculate that the recent urgency to purchase due to a potential price hike is more about sales and less about an actual event that sales advisors somehow got wind of.

Last edited:
Agreed. Nevertheless, those represent 2,000 fewer Model Y's. When you work in sales, you want it all!

The lower number also leaves speculation to what the actual market demand is for the ID.4. Were there 2,001 buyers ready to purchase, 4,000, or perhaps 20,000?

Edit: I'll add, as many on this thread have pointed out, the only real advantage the ID.4 has over a Model Y is price. This is one piece of anecdotal evidence that lower prices could potentially boost Model Y sales (but not necessarily profitability). All we all know raising the price would decrease demand (but not necessarily profitability). I'm still willing to speculate that the recent urgency to purchase due to a potential price hike is more about sales and less about an actual event that sales advisors somehow got wind of.

Holy cow! VW wasn't able to convert ANYONE from a Chevy Bolt or traditional gas vehicle? They're going to struggle big time if 100% of their sales are pulling from Tesla. They really need to get the gas owners to be interested in buying the ID.4!

I placed an order for an ID4 1st Edition. I'm between ID4 and Model Y as a convert from my Volt. I was originally mostly Model Y, but seeing QC issues that I simply don't expect from VW along with such a significant delay (I have a RWD MY order) I'm mostly just ready to get into something new and the ID4 gives me a strong deadline which, as of right now, I have nothing with from Tesla. The lack of customer-focused approach and QC issues is turning me away from the MY more than the car itself.

Reactions: cusetownusa
I placed an order for an ID4 1st Edition. I'm between ID4 and Model Y as a convert from my Volt. I was originally mostly Model Y, but seeing QC issues that I simply don't expect from VW along with such a significant delay (I have a RWD MY order) I'm mostly just ready to get into something new and the ID4 gives me a strong deadline which, as of right now, I have nothing with from Tesla. The lack of customer-focused approach and QC issues is turning me away from the MY more than the car itself.

All valid reason, and will certainly be something they HAVE to address once they get past the "hardcore" customers.

However, I'm curious, did the drastically shorter range worry you at all? I'm ending up upgrading from a Model 3 SR+ (240 mile range on 50kWh battery) to a Long Range Model Y, largely because of the range. While 240 is doable, it's not ideal for me and less of a "normal car" experience. I found in the winter time with standing water on the road, rain, and low temps, my range was actually like 160 miles on a full battery and from a supercharger to home was 142 miles with no charging in-between (other than slow level 2). Again, doable, but required charging to about 92% before leaving the supercharger and that took 45 to 50 minutes, which was much longer than I wanted since my day was already ~7 hours of driving because a mountain pass was closed and I had to go an unexpected "long way around" to get home. I hit the supercharger at about 10pm knowing most things would be closed and had cheese and crackers and some energy drinks (that I purchased earlier in the night) for dinner while watching youtube. If I had a family or kids with me this might have been more stressful, or a spouse might have said "never again" and wanted to take an ICE car if they went on another road trip.

If the car is a secondary car, or someone is in an income bracket that allows for a couple new-ish (a few years old or less) cars at a time, then maybe that shorter range isn't an issue. But for someone trying to make an EV the only car, or a primary where the ICE car is old enough that you wouldn't want to use it for long road trips, than that ~250 mile range still seems a little rough to me when you factor in winter and bad weather conditions. A real world of 225 to 250 is probably the sweet spot, unfortunately we need about a 300 mile EPA range to ensure in winter we get the low 200s.

Reactions: vegas888
I tested RAV4 hybrid today and was very disappointed.
I know RAV4 hybrid prime will be same car (interior-exterior) with some extra e miles but i just didnt like interior, and car handling.
Now MY is our only option.
Cmon Elon release that RDW asap, we know its ready!