Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Advisor: Price increase on Model Y coming

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If 45 minute sessions are too long, the id4 with max 125kw is probably not for you. 5-85% is already close to 40 minutes in the best of circumstances.

Which is why I upgraded to the Long Range Model Y from the Model 3 SR+. I left at 2pm to return home last winter on a drive that is normally 3 to 4 hours and got home at almost midnight. Because of a mountain pass being closed from quick heavy snow I had to go around which was about 400 miles and required a number of supercharger stops (due to low temperatures and highway speeds) plus that long stop to ensure I could get 140+ miles in heavy rain, sanding water, wind, and low temps. My SR+ saw 330 wh/mi at one point at 70mph before I could ease it back to about 290 by allowing the cabin to cool down to about 66 degrees. Still on the last 40 miles it started to snow, HEAVY, which stressed me out a little, lol. I made it home safe and sound, and honestly autopilot made it so much easier, but if I had a spouse or kids with me for that last long almost hour long stop I think I might have been murdered....

All valid reason, and will certainly be something they HAVE to address once they get past the "hardcore" customers.

However, I'm curious, did the drastically shorter range worry you at all? I'm ending up upgrading from a Model 3 SR+ (240 mile range on 50kWh battery) to a Long Range Model Y, largely because of the range. While 240 is doable, it's not ideal for me and less of a "normal car" experience. I found in the winter time with standing water on the road, rain, and low temps, my range was actually like 160 miles on a full battery and from a supercharger to home was 142 miles with no charging in-between (other than slow level 2). Again, doable, but required charging to about 92% before leaving the supercharger and that took 45 to 50 minutes, which was much longer than I wanted since my day was already ~7 hours of driving because a mountain pass was closed and I had to go an unexpected "long way around" to get home. I hit the supercharger at about 10pm knowing most things would be closed and had cheese and crackers and some energy drinks (that I purchased earlier in the night) for dinner while watching youtube. If I had a family or kids with me this might have been more stressful, or a spouse might have said "never again" and wanted to take an ICE car if they went on another road trip.

If the car is a secondary car, or someone is in an income bracket that allows for a couple new-ish (a few years old or less) cars at a time, then maybe that shorter range isn't an issue. But for someone trying to make an EV the only car, or a primary where the ICE car is old enough that you wouldn't want to use it for long road trips, than that ~250 mile range still seems a little rough to me when you factor in winter and bad weather conditions. A real world of 225 to 250 is probably the sweet spot, unfortunately we need about a 300 mile EPA range to ensure in winter we get the low 200s.

Sorry for the delay in responding.

The range is minimally concerning. We need one for my daily commute of approximately 80 miles round trip, plus local driving around the city. We need another EV for long trips, which is where my wife's desire for a Model X or R1S would come in. If it ever became an issue, I also have charging at work available in case of some issue at home. That being said, I certainly want a Model Y more, but the price and lead time are tempting for now.

Sorry for the delay in responding.

The range is minimally concerning. We need one for my daily commute of approximately 80 miles round trip, plus local driving around the city. We need another EV for long trips, which is where my wife's desire for a Model X or R1S would come in. If it ever became an issue, I also have charging at work available in case of some issue at home. That being said, I certainly want a Model Y more, but the price and lead time are tempting for now.
Hard to debate the price, especially if Texas has a state rebate as well as Federal. But I see you are assuming the quality of the ID.4 will be higher than the Y. Kind of reminds me of people saying this abut the Mach-E - the seats will be better, fit/finish will be better, etc. I would never assume that about a totally brand new vehicle from ANY manufacturer except perhaps high-end ones like Audi or M-B.

Hard to debate the price, especially if Texas has a state rebate as well as Federal. But I see you are assuming the quality of the ID.4 will be higher than the Y. Kind of reminds me of people saying this abut the Mach-E - the seats will be better, fit/finish will be better, etc. I would never assume that about a totally brand new vehicle from ANY manufacturer except perhaps high-end ones like Audi or M-B.

Unfortunately Texas' rebates have expired. I don't think it will be higher, and honestly wouldn't expect it to be at the different price points. It is more a tired of playing the waiting game on the LR RWD and getting no updates.

Reactions: Kofther
Unfortunately Texas' rebates have expired. I don't think it will be higher, and honestly wouldn't expect it to be at the different price points. It is more a tired of playing the waiting game on the LR RWD and getting no updates.

It does appear that Tesla will deliver Y:LR:RWD, but they are going to "encourage" people to switch to the variants actually in production, until they start building the RWD variant.

FWIW the Texas rebates applied to everyone except Tesla. The program was written in such a way that it only allowed the rebates to go through dealerships - which excluded Tesla specifically. We were able to apply for it when we purchase our Volt in 2014, but not our Model 3 in 2018 even though the program was active and still had funding.

Once might assume that with Tesla setting up shop in Austin, that attitude might change, but I seriously doubt we'll see new EV incentives given the budget shortage due to COVID and the politic climate we're in.

For sure, I was looking into it when trying to decide between volt/bolt/leaf. Ended up just going with a used volt for cheaper after the rebate but it has since expired. I wouldn't be too hopeful about it coming back.

FWIW the Texas rebates applied to everyone except Tesla. The program was written in such a way that it only allowed the rebates to go through dealerships - which excluded Tesla specifically. We were able to apply for it when we purchase our Volt in 2014, but not our Model 3 in 2018 even though the program was active and still had funding.

Once might assume that with Tesla setting up shop in Austin, that attitude might change, but I seriously doubt we'll see new EV incentives given the budget shortage due to COVID and the politic climate we're in.
If Tesla didn't get that provision dropped, they are nuts, budget shortfall or not. It's just another example of the entrenched bias against any new innovative car company with a new sales model by the dinosauric dealer sales model.

If Tesla didn't get that provision dropped, they are nuts, budget shortfall or not. It's just another example of the entrenched bias against any new innovative car company with a new sales model by the dinosauric dealer sales model.

Downside is from what I can see on the TCEQ website is that it expires January 7, 201

Light-Duty Motor Vehicle Purchase or Lease Incentive Program

Which puts more pressure to look to an alternative like the Mach E if you want the full $10,000 credit available for Texas residents.

Check out what this Audi owner says about the paint job on his $130,000 Etron Limited Edition, starts at about the 6 minute point.

Two observations:
  • Battery Day has come and gone and the price is still the same.
  • The end of quarter has come and gone and the price is still the same.
Not saying the price might not still go back up, but two major events have passed without the price going up.

In related news, Ford Cuts 2021 Mustang Mach-E's Price up to $3000. With that price drop and after tax credit, the first edition is $40,600. The Base ($36,495) and Premium trim ($36,495) will arrive a little later in 2021. Soon, the Hyundai Kona Electric ($30,865), the Kia Niro EV, ($32,710), VW ID.4 ($33,690) and Volvo XC40 ($47,500) will be available with starting prices plus tax credit eligibility that are well under the current Model Y price. GM is all out of tax credits, but is practically giving the Bolt away with stackable incentive packages.

To state the obvious, none of these vehicles have the same range or features of Model Y and none have the Supercharger network -- so there are no direct apples to apples comparisons. Nevertheless, I can't see Tesla raising the price without additional value-add given all the lower priced pressure entering the market. If they want to sustain as the premium product/brand, they either need to ramp up quality (initial and long-term) and/or add more premium features (heated steering wheel, etc). Or -- Tesla needs to get the RWD or lower-trimed versions in the marketplace sooner rather than later. Others may disagree, but that's my take.

In related news, Ford Cuts 2021 Mustang Mach-E's Price up to $3000. With that price drop and after tax credit, the first edition is $40,600. The Base ($36,495) and Premium trim ($36,495) will arrive a little later in 2021. Soon, the Hyundai Kona Electric ($30,865), the Kia Niro EV, ($32,710), VW ID.4 ($33,690) and Volvo XC40 ($47,500) will be available with starting prices plus tax credit eligibility that are well under the current Model Y price. GM is all out of tax credits, but is practically giving the Bolt away with stackable incentive packages.

I missed the Mach-E price cut yesterday. I suspect that price cut announcement is intended to displace the obvious-but-unspoken change in schedule: the Mach-E customer deliveries won't happen in "late 2020". The wording from Ford is now that demo ('FCTP') cars could start arriving at dealers as early as late December. That suggests that first customer deliveries won't be until late the following quarter.

That might not seem like a big shift, but not being able to take delivery this year could eliminate tax incentives for some customers.