Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Advisor: Price increase on Model Y coming

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So if Tesla raises the price of the LR AWD by 3k dollars, then all they're doing is effectively putting the price back to where it was before they lowered the base price by 3k dollars.

I put my order in this past February, so I was already a buyer at the pre-3k dollar price slash. They lowered the price and I have still not taken delivery, so if they bump the price back to the where it was in Feb when I ordered then no-harm-no-foul for me personally. Sure, a 3k dollar savings sounded like a great deal, but it still wasn't good enough to make me want to accept delivery with my current situation of not needing another car coupled with the garbage QC Tesla has demonstrated.

I imagine if they are planning a price increase back to $53K so soon after a price decrease to 50K, there must be some type of enhancement that would support the price increase. I guess it's possible that the recent price decrease was simply a temporary drop to boost sales during the current pandemic, and if they've reached the sales they were hoping for, they are comfortable raising the price back up to where the initially had it.

Reactions: Reborn
Could Tesla be shipping a batch of Y to Europe? US order delivery is now Oct/Nov. So either North American demand is increasing, or Tesla is sending cars elsewhere.

I suspect the price is going back to $53K with no changes to the car. Europe Y coming only from giga Berlin may have been said to maintain 3 sales outside of North America. It's an excellent time for the Y to be sold in Europe with real competition increasing. The Y seems very well spec'd for a large European car.

Either way the increased Y delivery time in the U.S. supports the possibility that a price increase is coming. Only $100 is risked securing the current lower price. I don't see how any battery day announcement can affect the Y in the short to medium term.

Supercharger network means nothing to me and many others / my friends.
We need EV for city driving.
If my Tesla comes with at least 400 of REAL miles i would consider long trips.
Depends where you live but i would never take my family with 2 kids to long trips with Tesla (AZ,NV,CA).
Its not just Supercharger network, our car need to be dependable and Tesla at this moment is not.
Way too many issues with AC,MU.....
Of course Tesla fan boys will say its not true.
I have recently read stories from locals and problems they had this summer (Las Vegas-Phoenix)

I can't imagine spending ~$50k on a car that is "trapped" as a city car. there are so many other options both used and new with a 50-100 mile range for that.

like I said - we'll see what happens. I am still disappointed that some might quickly jump on whatever EV the traditional manufacturers put out, considering that all of them were against EVs in the first place (I bet some of them still are). they're only doing it now because Tesla has proven to teh consumer that it is worth doing and they have no choice. If it weren't for Tesla, any other company people are willing to give their money to would still be selling them a gas car because "EVs will never work". So we reward their arrogance / laziness / stupidity with sales? fooey

The price decrease happened in the 2nd quarter. You may be right but then again, we’re in a pandemic. People are not running out to get new cars like previous years. They may give more incentives to be able to make their end of year projections.

That makes sense. I feel like I could make plausible arguments for either side this year. The volume is ramping up, the plant is only serving the Americas, and the pandemic uncertainty is depressing demand, so they could cut prices for Q4!

OTOH, there are rumors that car sales are actually starting to improve for others in the industry and Tesla has been outperforming its peers in this regard anyway. On top of that, there's a pretty strong rumor that RWD Y was pushed back to at least October and the 7 seat configuration was pushed to November. If true, both imply plenty of demand levers left for what is already a traditionally strong Q4. I'm leaning towards this theory personally.

I can't imagine spending ~$50k on a car that is "trapped" as a city car. there are so many other options both used and new with a 50-100 mile range for that.

like I said - we'll see what happens. I am still disappointed that some might quickly jump on whatever EV the traditional manufacturers put out, considering that all of them were against EVs in the first place (I bet some of them still are). they're only doing it now because Tesla has proven to teh consumer that it is worth doing and they have no choice. If it weren't for Tesla, any other company people are willing to give their money to would still be selling them a gas car because "EVs will never work". So we reward their arrogance / laziness / stupidity with sales? fooey
Unfortunately I can imagine spending $50k on a spartan car optimized for the 20% of driving utilization (and for robo owners cleaning puke out of the cabin on a Sunday morning), when I could have bought a car better for the 80% of my use, and without losing much on the other 20%.
I tell myself the acceleration is worth it.

• Disagree
Reactions: nyghthawk
@BlindPass It's NOT spartan! It's new age LUXURY!!!! hahahaha

;)

Honestly, with all the issues the MY has been having I don't have a solid idea of when I want to accept delivery of mine. Because of this, I am hesitant to put an order in to lock in the current price. Spend 100 dollars to lock in a 3k dollar savings from my original order back in February, or just stick with my current 100 dollar order fee and ride it out betting Tesla won't raise the price?

I am pretty anal when it comes to my cars so I have a certain level of expectation when I am buying a new car. I don't want to start a new off topic debate over this and I know there are those of us who stand on either side of the QC-acceptability level. I know "it's just one hundred dollars:" to lock in the price but even after reading good arguments for Tesla to raise the price I find myself reluctant to drop another 100 dollars on a MY order. I'm just being ambivalent I suppose.

• Disagree
Reactions: sherlockw
We know who wants us to buy car right now, we know who is talking about price increase, we know who is talking about 11 weeks delivery wait if we don`t order it right now...

Same people who are saying waiting for Battery day is useless, QC is good (people just like to complain), Tesla cars don`t depreciate, 2021 model will be same as 2020, we don`t need Carplay and Android...

If i was current Tesla owner and stockholder i would probably saying the same

That makes sense. I feel like I could make plausible arguments for either side this year. The volume is ramping up, the plant is only serving the Americas, and the pandemic uncertainty is depressing demand, so they could cut prices for Q4!

OTOH, there are rumors that car sales are actually starting to improve for others in the industry and Tesla has been outperforming its peers in this regard anyway. On top of that, there's a pretty strong rumor that RWD Y was pushed back to at least October and the 7 seat configuration was pushed to November. If true, both imply plenty of demand levers left for what is already a traditionally strong Q4. I'm leaning towards this theory personally.

where did these rumors about 7 seat/rwd timeless come from? Do you have a source? Just wondering.

@BlindPass It's NOT spartan! It's new age LUXURY!!!! hahahaha

Spartan = Huge Advantage IMO. In theory that single screen + mount could be replaced at any time in the future with any screen + computer that can talk to the existing hardware on the car. With a million mile battery and minimal moving parts on the drivetrain, not only could this car continue working for decades, in theory the interface could be modernized when necessary. You can't even do that on the S/X because the screens are custom in dash embedded items (mostly the instrument cluster screen).

Yeah, the 3/Y are severely lacking as a luxury car but I don't see them as luxury cars. Do I want to pay $50k for the genius "spartan" interior? NO... but nobody else is going to put a car out there like that because they don't have the stones tesla does.

• Funny
Reactions: BlindPass
There is no doubt that Tesla is technology on four wheels. For those of us who have owned, own and will own them, we know that there is nothing better than driving a Tesla, regardless of the model. For years Tesla has been the King, but times are going to change. There are quite a few new interested EV buyers who are not educated well enough. They will be comparing the new competition of VW, Audi, BMW, Porche, Jaguar, Chevy, Ford, etc. They will be looking at price and price incentives, comfort, design, colors, just about everything except for the technology that Tesla has put into their vehicles. In my opinion, this will hurt Tesla when it comes to new car sales and Tesla is going to either have to be a little more competitive or just hope that I am wrong.

Spartan = Huge Advantage IMO. In theory that single screen + mount could be replaced at any time in the future with any screen + computer that can talk to the existing hardware on the car. With a million mile battery and minimal moving parts on the drivetrain, not only could this car continue working for decades, in theory the interface could be modernized when necessary. You can't even do that on the S/X because the screens are custom in dash embedded items (mostly the instrument cluster screen).

Yeah, the 3/Y are severely lacking as a luxury car but I don't see them as luxury cars. Do I want to pay $50k for the genius "spartan" interior? NO... but nobody else is going to put a car out there like that because they don't have the stones tesla does.
Decades? Ask model S owners how quickly that “decade” goes. Is spending thousands more making changes needed to keep this car somewhat relevant, like some Model S owners have had to do, is appealing to you?

Yes, Tesla’s cabin will “age” better, but that’s inherent to the fact cheap now is cheap later.

Of course they’re not luxury cars- that’s largely the point. Outside of superior torque and infrequently used range, you’re not getting much. Kia’s with an expensive drive train. Not even Kia’s to be honest. They’re Evos- fun to drive, but the money is in the drive train. Which is what I want.

I like the acceleration, but in the context of value proposition (“I can’t imagine spending $50k on a city car”), I can’t imagine paying $50k for range I rarely utilize, for a car that is cheaply appointed, AND throw thousands more at the fools errand that is preventing it from being archaic. These $50k cars do not have million mile batteries, and Tesla is unlikely to sell such storage at such a cost.

Even assuming these current Tesla’s will be FSD capable without serious hardware upgrades, will you want to? Cars are cycled less than phones that cost a mere fraction of a car, but some of the same nascent tech fundamentals apply.

Reactions: raggedy
Decades? Ask model S owners how quickly that “decade” goes. Is spending thousands more making changes needed to keep this car somewhat relevant, like some Model S owners have had to do, is appealing to you?

Even assuming these current Tesla’s will be FSD capable without serious hardware upgrades, will you want to? Cars are cycled less than phones that cost a mere fraction of a car, but some of the same nascent tech fundamentals apply.

IMO "relevant" doesn' t matter, and comparing them to phones is not applicable either. Cars - for the purpose of getting from point a to point b - have been the same forever. Main reason being while engineering and tech has improved, you still can only drive so fast legally. The reality is a 20 year old car isn't vastly different for a "device to get you from point a to b" when you set aside "does it still work" and "conveniences". Actual tech like phones and computers get to some point where the "speed limit" the old device "could drive at" just doesn't work at all. would be like trying to merge onto the freeway when the speed limit is now 200mph and your 20yr honda doesn't have a chance. These things are not the same.

Yeah - so a model S can't do AP 3. But it will still drive. What I am referring to is you get to some point where something on the "interface" of the old car doesn't work anymore. switches, lights, dials, whatever. Also, even if something does go out on a 10 year old car, maybe you can't get a replacement part anymore and you have to scavenge a junkyard or something. Being able to rig up a new interface with a new screen on even faster hardware is a real benefit and a real possibility, similar to putting a new head deck in your old car that all of the sudden streams bluetooth and satellite radio, using the existing hardware in your old car (the speakers). Or moving into an old house and putting a modern HVAC controller like a nest on your HVAC unit. The Nest still talks to the same old wires and uses the same old signals, but as far as the user goes you've just catapulted your old house into the "internet of things" age. like I said, as long as whatever the "head unit" / "control unit" talks to the existing hardware, you can pretty much go nuts with improvements and modifications. Though I admit the huge rut in the road will be whether or not Tesla allows a foreign control device to talk to the existing hardware. Which way will it go? Only time will tell. I don't care - I am going to positive about the potential anyway.

IMO "relevant" doesn' t matter, and comparing them to phones is not applicable either. Cars - for the purpose of getting from point a to point b - have been the same forever. Main reason being while engineering and tech has improved, you still can only drive so fast legally. The reality is a 20 year old car isn't vastly different for a "device to get you from point a to b" when you set aside "does it still work" and "conveniences". Actual tech like phones and computers get to some point where the "speed limit" the old device "could drive at" just doesn't work at all. would be like trying to merge onto the freeway when the speed limit is now 200mph and your 20yr honda doesn't have a chance. These things are not the same.

Yeah - so a model S can't do AP 3. But it will still drive. What I am referring to is you get to some point where something on the "interface" of the old car doesn't work anymore. switches, lights, dials, whatever. Also, even if something does go out on a 10 year old car, maybe you can't get a replacement part anymore and you have to scavenge a junkyard or something. Being able to rig up a new interface with a new screen on even faster hardware is a real benefit and a real possibility, similar to putting a new head deck in your old car that all of the sudden streams bluetooth and satellite radio, using the existing hardware in your old car (the speakers). Or moving into an old house and putting a modern HVAC controller like a nest on your HVAC unit. The Nest still talks to the same old wires and uses the same old signals, but as far as the user goes you've just catapulted your old house into the "internet of things" age. like I said, as long as whatever the "head unit" / "control unit" talks to the existing hardware, you can pretty much go nuts with improvements and modifications. Though I admit the huge rut in the road will be whether or not Tesla allows a foreign control device to talk to the existing hardware. Which way will it go? Only time will tell. I don't care - I am going to positive about the potential anyway.

Relevant doesn’t matter? I guess that logic is consistent with thinking $50k for a car in which most everything is cost-cut and that will quickly be antiquated is a better value.

I think the opposite is true. The analog, physical controls are much cheaper and easier to keep working. Ask Model S owners the cost of keeping up to date in the software-to-hardware interface arms race. Then there’s the increased dependency on a software vendor to keep your car going. You don’t own your car.

If you’re talking about prioritizing just Point A to Point B cheap and forever, you’re not interested in $50k current Tesla’s. Trust me, as a Tesla owner since 2013, it’s much more like buying smart phones than you realize. You’re looking for the landline phone that was good for decades until the hardware broke, but then cheaply repaired- which in the car world are Honda’s and Toyota’s.

I prefer Tesla’s, but your post is filled with contradictions. More than any other car, your Tesla is the 20 year old computer trying to rig up to go 20 mph in a 200 mph zone. That’s why most people love them- the first Tech car. But it has its downsides. They quickly become just expensive Point A to Point B cars, that require expensive upgrades to be supported and road worthy. Have you dealt with the MCU1 on your MS yet?

Last edited:
Reactions: raggedy
If you’re talking about prioritizing just Point A to Point B cheap and forever, you’re not interested in $50k current Tesla’s.

Not true. Once something becomes "commoditized" where all the products that serve that purpose basically do the same thing, then the only difference left is "the experience". that's why you have cheap cars with cloth seats and expensive cars with leather seats .. etc. They all drive point a to point b, but some people want to pay more for a better experience performing the same task they all do. I am choosing to pay more for Tesla for the driving experience unique to Tesla. Otherwise I would keep my paid off 8yr old Ford.

Trust me, as a Tesla owner since 2013, it’s much more like buying smart phones than you realize. You’re looking for the landline phone that was good for decades until the hardware broke, but then cheaply repaired- which in the car world are Honda’s and Toyota’s.

I prefer Tesla’s, but your post is filled with contradictions. More than any other car, your Tesla is the 20 year old computer trying to rig up to go 20 mph in a 200 mph zone. That’s why most people love them- the first Tech car. But it has its downsides. They quickly become just expensive Point A to Point B cars, that require expensive upgrades to be supported and road worthy. Have you dealt with the MCU1 on your MS yet?

I don't have an MS, but I read about people upgrading their MCUs now .. which is proving my point. It is outdated, and it is being updated to bring it more current. You can't change out your knobs and dials with a nice looking dash, but for certain MS owners got a nicer MCU interface over the years - which is exactly what I am referring to on the Model 3/Y, but in that case it also potentially includes an entirely different screen if desired. 10 years from now who is to say Tesla won't offer an upgrade pack for a 17" display and faster MCU for the 3/Y ? Bam, now your old car is refreshed (especially given that the screen is pretty much the only thing going on in teh interior).

if you don't agree, that's fine. There's a lot more going on with the MCU issue but I'll leave it alone. If you do not accept the Nest / updated head deck example (which is 100% on point for what I am talking about), then there's nothing else to be said. /shrug.

Supercharger network means nothing to me and many others / my friends.
We need EV for city driving.
If my Tesla comes with at least 400 of REAL miles i would consider long trips.
Depends where you live but i would never take my family with 2 kids to long trips with Tesla (AZ,NV,CA).
Its not just Supercharger network, our car need to be dependable and Tesla at this moment is not.
Way too many issues with AC,MU.....
Of course Tesla fan boys will say its not true.
I have recently read stories from locals and problems they had this summer (Las Vegas-Phoenix)
Guess I’m not sure why you’re hanging out here then, since all you seem to do is dump on Tesla. If you don’t want one, fine, but most of us here do and are having good discussions about the pros and cons without being so negative constantly. Maybe go check out the Leaf forum? Sounds like that would be much more your liking.

It will make more sense to decrease the price of the LR Model 3.
Tesla wants to increase affordability and quantity, not to raise the price until demand = supply.
Also, the wait time is not an indication of demand.
I may be the only o
Tesla wants to increase affordability and quantity, not to raise the price until demand = supply.

I agree - common sense says it could go up or down, but why not lower the price to achieve the spread. Seems more likely than raising everything if competition (and the lack of the federal rebate) has arrived......

Guess I’m not sure why you’re hanging out here then, since all you seem to do is dump on Tesla. If you don’t want one, fine, but most of us here do and are having good discussions about the pros and cons without being so negative constantly. Maybe go check out the Leaf forum? Sounds like that would be much more your liking.

He doesn't seem to own a car. He's apparently having a bad virtual Tesla experience. Those virtual Superchargers ARE unreliable, after all.

It seems to me that the RWD would have to cost quite a bit less. Less redundancy, lower power, weaker regen brakes, inferior snow safety, inferior semi-offroad driving... why would you get RWD unless the cost was quite a bit less?
  1. It doesn’t snow everywhere
  2. Most crossover buyers never go off-road
  3. Most people buy crossovers for their utility (no more station wagons, don’t want minivan)
  4. Isn’t the M3 SR+ (RWD, lower range, etc.) the best selling Tesla model?
  5. The temporary $3000 MY price drop was a discount to sell the first 6 months of “beta” builds.

End of quarter sales cycle pitch.

I got a text from my Tesla Advisor encouraging me to get a Model Y "while the prices are discounted."

I asked for clarification, and he says:

"Discount meaning that the Model Y is $3000 less than normal at the moment. I'm not sure when it will go back to the normal price (nobody does). But if/when it does, if your order is in now, you are guaranteed the lower price."

Would it be a good idea to put my order in before the end of the month? Are prices increases common as we approach the end of the year?

Personally, I'd prefer a Model Y RWD (rumored to be $45,000), but if prices are going up, then may as well get the Dual Motor car now.

Thanks!

Reactions: angus[Y]oung
Take this for all it's worth. My wife and I went to test drive a Model Y today. While talking to the SA, I initiated the conversation of a price increase. We were advised to place a reservation and lock in the price. We were told that there were some small changes coming to the Y. We did not feel pressured and we both left the store. The wife and I had a chat and came back and placed a reservation. From the get go, we had told the advisor that we were looking to buy in around 6 months time.