Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla heat pump / HVAC (non auto)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One simple way to improve A/C efficiency is water cooling of the condenser, either by spraying water on the condenser or using an evaporative cooler as a pre-conditioner for condenser air. In Clark County, NV, I did the latter. It made the most sense, because I already had the coolers installed and just needed to be able to re-route the cooled air. I used the system when it got so hot that the air from the coolers was over 80F and useless for cooling the house directly. But 80F was much better for the A/C than 110F ambient air.

One simple way to improve A/C efficiency is water cooling of the condenser, either by spraying water on the condenser or using an evaporative cooler as a pre-conditioner for condenser air. In Clark County, NV, I did the latter. It made the most sense, because I already had the coolers installed and just needed to be able to re-route the cooled air. I used the system when it got so hot that the air from the coolers was over 80F and useless for cooling the house directly. But 80F was much better for the A/C than 110F ambient air.

Slinger rings work great, but can be noisy as hell. Modern window acs have eers approaching the best mini splits and variable flow central acs because of them.

AFAIK, there are hightech HVACs for homes. I have one.
Inverter motor, reversible, 300+% efficiency both ways. Hot water supply.
With thermal storage. With price forecast calculation for next day.
But AFAIK those are not available in US.
So... those guys can fix that.

This video got me thinking:-

Tesla could build a really go HVAC (Air Conditioner), but why not go one step further and produce a really good hot water heater using a heat pump.

It is true here in Australia in summer that a lot of roof spaces have a lot of hot air which could be captured and the heat used to heat water, just the act of doing that will help cool the house a bit... similarly in winter there is often hotter air in the ceiling which can be used to obtain heat...

For colder climates heating is more of a challenge but cooling the house in summer is easier....

Electrification Myth-Busting: Heat Pumps Are Ready for Cold Climates Today

There is also this problem:-

Particularly in the US a total solutions for all problems at household level is needed, clean water is definitely need to replace well water.

Last edited:
One old school way to provide some interior relief until the issue is addressed is to get the glass roof sunshade from Tesla. I live in Texas and when it's 100+ degrees it is pretty much essential. They work very well indeed, and they do not block the view of the sky, just make it look a little darker. I have a model S but they are available for the M3. Highly recommended, the best Tesla accessory I have purchased.

That only works in areas with intense heat and ultra low humidity, nobody likes to live there.

• Funny
Reactions: Rocky_H
Sigh. I hope this happens soon. My damn oil burner is the last of the old world. Everything else is solar/batteries in my life. I’ve got an estimate for some Mitsubishi Hyperheat heat pumps but I haven’t pulled the trigger as I’d love to keep everything in the Tesla ecosystem.

Elon mentioned that Tesla would start to work in a year on a home HVAC at Battery Day. They will talk to your vehicle plus be stackable for additional BTUs.
mJ6hPYi.jpg

This is an important slide from battery day. Elon needs to affect of that heating more than the air con. US homes have different heating than the rest of the world.

how-to-troubleshoot-a-forced-air-distribution-system-3.jpg

Would his stackable HVAC units replace the furnace?

Some thoughts on a future Tesla home HVAC:

The highest efficiency home HVAC heat pump units currently available have a Coefficient of Performance (COP) of around 6.0 (eg Daikin US7). This is a small split system unit of around 2.5kW cooling/3.6kW heating, so enough for a medium sized room. The COP drops off considerably in the larger unit sizes. Most conventional inverter split system AC units would have a COP around 3.5-4.5. Larger commercial systems can be much more efficient with large Chiller COP's around 10 but other parasitic system losses with pumps, pipes, ducts and fans generally bring the total system COP back well under 5.

The main contributors to home HVAC energy efficiency are the quality and design of the compressor, internal and external fan efficiencies, coil and filter pressure drops and controls. Going away from air cooled to water cooled or geothermal will also improve efficiency but also adds significant complexity and cost. Elon is talking about adding a HEPA filter and that will typically add extra pressure drop and energy unless the filter is very large. Quality component design and smart integration of the compressor motors, fans and controls should shave off energy. However there are limitations in physics/thermodynamics that will limit what is acheivable in a compact package. I expect they will still come up with a highly compelling home HVAC product but it may be as much for the AI/Controls and energy system integration as it is for energy efficiency and indoor air quality.

• Love
Reactions: phantasms
Tesla (TSLA) Q3 2020 Earnings Call Transcript | The Motley Fool

Elon Musk
-- Chief Executive Officer

Yes. Absolutely. I think like the heat — for heat pump in the car, being able to use the batteries both as a thermal and an electric energy reservoir is very significant. Same thing could be applied to a home with the water heater, and the back of pack itself, of course.

So I think there's potential for an integrated home system that kind of does power generation/storage, heating/cooling, air filtration, water purification in a really tight package. We don't actually have like a prototype or anything, but I think conceptually, that is something that would be probably good to have.

• Informative
Reactions: phantasms