Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Air Conditioning

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Had anyone experienced the follows (I've booked to be checked up next month when I'm out of town, but anyways) on a 1-2 yrs MS.
1) Ventilation is open between level 5 and like 10 (I thought they updated the software so its open =<4). I normally like to run the AC at 6-7 but in and near tunnels where there is always a jam I get a lot of outside air. Then i need to run the AC up to 10/11 to ensure the air is kept out.
2) AC noise. Esp in summer i need to run it high (higher than 6-7...) The car is too quiet and most of the noise inside is AC. lol.
3) compressor not running. maybe its the thermostat cuz i've kept the car cold enough so ventilation is open - then air gets humid. Run it up to 10-11 then no problem.

I find the AC just barely adequate to keep rear passengers happy while driving across desert. I try to recirc air, so not to have to cool outside fresh air. I set temp low (63F) and set fan on high (9 or 10) and position the ducts to be eye level ( nothing to the floor or windshield). Then, the cool air stream does make it to the back and the complaints are less, but they are still not happy.
I would love to be able to move much more air - even if it a loud fan. The AC seems to be able to cool whatever mass of air the fan puts out, but there just is not enough air to cool the cabin. I've added window tint on top of factory, including windshield. I've added pano sun screens. I've got a cool color - inside and out. but still it is pushing the limits of comfort.
Any better set points from other users?

I've used our Model X in the middle of Texas summer with 105F (40C) and up to ~80-90% humidity with 6 people. The AC had no problem cooling the car except maybe at the peak of supercharging (but most of us got out during a stop anyway).

I did find the default air-speed for the rear was auto-adjusted a bit low... but that's easily fixed by increasing the air speed a bit. We never had to go past air-speed 6 in the rear.

We have a high-quality tint added to the front row (driver & passenger) since the default clear glass is QUITE hot with direct Texas sun. With the tint the sun infrared heat is negligible.

We have not added anything to the front windshield, and it might even make it better (less load on AC), but it's not worth it in my opinion.
Heat from the tinted area on top of the panoramic windshield is negligible. I can't feel it unless I hold my hand 1-2" (2-5cm) from glass during full-sun. Otherwise, AC is more than enough to cool us down.

I've used our Model X in the middle of Texas summer with 105F (40C) and up to ~80-90% humidity with 6 people. The AC had no problem cooling the car except maybe at the peak of supercharging (but most of us got out during a stop anyway).

I did find the default air-speed for the rear was auto-adjusted a bit low... but that's easily fixed by increasing the air speed a bit. We never had to go past air-speed 6 in the rear.

We have a high-quality tint added to the front row (driver & passenger) since the default clear glass is QUITE hot with direct Texas sun. With the tint the sun infrared heat is negligible.

We have not added anything to the front windshield, and it might even make it better (less load on AC), but it's not worth it in my opinion.
Heat from the tinted area on top of the panoramic windshield is negligible. I can't feel it unless I hold my hand 1-2" (2-5cm) from glass during full-sun. Otherwise, AC is more than enough to cool us down.
Did you say there is a rear seat fan control?
I do believe the Texas desert is hot - could compete with my Sonoran desert heat - but could mine be THAT much hotter?. Cant believe your rear passengers stay cool and mine don't - am I setting my system at the wrong markers?

Did you say there is a rear seat fan control?
I do believe the Texas desert is hot - could compete with my Sonoran desert heat - but could mine be THAT much hotter?. Cant believe your rear passengers stay cool and mine don't - am I setting my system at the wrong markers?

I've had other vehicles that had low refrigerant pressure (I'm not an AC expert but I know the symptoms).
Other cars were cooling but just not very fast or very cold.
They somehow recharged the refrigerant and it worked like new.

Have the Service Center run a diagnostic check on AC system. They should be able to do that remotely.

Model X has separate dedicated AC for the rear, six vents total, not counting the front row vents.

makes a ton of noise, but cools adequately enough. sometimes requires fan speed override or setting set-point to "LOW" (which engages some kind of hyperdrive AC that makes even more noise but chills the car quickly)

I must have a different set of controls. You say
"1) Ventilation is open between level 5 and like 10 . Then i need to run the AC up to 10/11 to ensure the air is kept out."

I have a setpoint of about 60-70F - no #5-10. I have a fan speed that ranges from 2-9 .. Is THAT what you are talking about?