Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Alignment wrong from factory?

Was your car aligned incorrectly from the Tesla factory?

• Yes, toe in/out wrong

Votes: 23 18.7%
  • Yes, camber wrong

Votes: 11 8.9%
  • Yes, caster wrong

Votes: 3 2.4%
  • Yes, toed out

Votes: 6 4.9%
  • Yes, toed in

Votes: 4 3.3%
  • No, the alignment was good

Votes: 57 46.3%
  • Steering wheel not centered

Votes: 40 32.5%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Was your car aligned properly when it was made by Tesla? You can make multiple responses to the poll.

I'm on my second Model 3. On my 2018 LR AWD, I didn't notice the poor alignment until the tires wore out at about 12k miles. The inner part of the tread was completely worn out while the outer part was at about half tread depth. The Tesla service center refused to even consider warranting the issue since I had 12k miles on the car, so I took it to a local alignment shop. Sure enough, the front had significant toe out, and one side on the rear was toed out as well. I know that I had never hit or bumped anything, and there was no reason that the car should have been out of alignment; I'm pretty positive that it was out of alignment from the factory, especially since I had no further issues in the next 60k miles of using the car before I sold it.

With my new Model 3 that I picked up a month ago, the misalignment is much more obvious. The car wanders and has little self centering. I noticed it the second time I drove the car. The only reason I didn't notice it on the drive home is because it was snowing and windy, and the moving around I attributed to the slick conditions. I made a service appointment for that and a couple of other teething issues, and the service center came back with a $372.50 estimate to do "General Diagnosis" and a "Four Wheel Alignment". I didn't approve the estimate since I think it is outrageous to have to pay for an alignment on a car that was obviously out of alignment from the factory, plus the price they're charging for the alignment is preposterous.

I brought the car in today and talked to the service manager. He said it is Tesla policy to not warranty the alignment since anything could have happened to knock the car out of alignment once it's out of Tesla's hands. He wouldn't even agree to just check the alignment unless I agreed to the entire $372.50 estimate. It only takes about 15 minutes to put a car on an alignment rack and do a basic check of the alignment, so that is patently absurd.

To me, this comes across as a scam. Over the last 5 years, I have read many posts here on the forum about people who have had misaligned Teslas, with the vast majority reporting toe out, that wore out the inside of the tires way before the outside. Tesla obviously does a poor job of alignment on the car at the factory, and then either charges a ridiculous amount of money for an alignment, or if the owner doesn't notice the problem, Tesla is happy to sell the owner a new set of tires when they wear out, and charge for an alignment then.

No alignment problems here. I have 19,000 miles on my MeLR. I had Tesla come to my place for a 2 year check up last October. I asked the service tech to check my tires for wear as he rotated them. He showed me that each tire's tread was uniformly the same and he measured the tree depth. I can't remember the exact tread depth but the wear was less than 50%. The car doesn't pull to one side or the other either. Totally happy with my car's alignment, tire wear and suspension in general

Mine was aligned perfectly and I got great tire wear out of my first set of tires (aside from the rears getting roasted by spirited driving). $372 for an alignment is bonkers. Clearly this is work they don't want to do. Just take it to your local alignment shop and be done with it. Just another shining example of the quality of Tesla service.

Alignment has never been a warranty item to my knowledge. A dealer may comp you on it in the past as goodwill though. This is what you get with Tesla's sales model. $375 is ludacris for an alignment. Should be around $80 for a computer alignment. Specialty chalk line manual method guys might charge you more, but these cars don't have all the adjustments that would warrant that kind of alignment, IMHO.

Based on the poll results so far, it looks like about 2/3 were aligned properly, leaving 1/3 of us with poorly aligned cars. That is a higher proportion than I think it should be, but if Tesla took care of the cars that weren't properly aligned, it would be okay. I really don't believe that Tesla doesn't know that a lot of their cars come out misaligned from the factory, and not being willing to fix it at no charge is the rubbish part. I'll be taking my car to the alignment shop I usually use, and I'm sure that they'll fix it up for less than 1/3 the charge that Tesla is trying to stick me with.

Reactions: Ami-Sven
Mine was off center to the right. But the car was tracking straight. Didn’t notice it until I was on a straight freeway after a week. They did a wheel alignment for free after I complained that I have not hit or ran over anything in the 800km since new.

Even if your car is tracking straight, isn't pulling, and the steering wheel is centered, your alignment can still be off. Both my 2018 and 2023 tracked straight, didn't pull, and the steering was centered, yet their alignment was off. As for tire wear, that can take thousands of miles before it becomes apparent. You would have to measure your tires with a tread depth gauge across the tread to find unusual wear at an early stage. I don't think that's something that most of us think to do on a new car, or that it should be necessary, but it's something that I'd recommend to any Tesla owner based on my experience.

On my 2018 Model 3, I never suspected that the alignment was wrong until I noted that there was very little tread on the inside of the tires at 12,000 miles while rotating the tires. That was too late for that set of tires. I didn't notice it when I rotated the tires at 6,000 miles since it wasn't visually obvious, and I didn't think to check for that.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Yozer34 and RichXKU
A little follow up after getting my car aligned at a local alignment shop. As I suspected, the front was toed out, to .24", almost 1/4". The rest of the alignment, camber, caster, and everything in the rear was spot on and near the middle of the spec. The car is now set to .04" of toe in and no longer wanders, and has better steering return to center. If I ever need to get it aligned again, I think I'll ask the mechanic to set it to 0 toe to just a dash of toe in; for a street driven Model 3 I think that would be about the best compromise.

What surprised me is that the spec for the Model 3 for front toe is from .1" of toe in to .2" of toe out, so my car wasn't very far out of spec. .2" of toe out for a street driven car is very unusual in my experience, and none of the roughly 20 cars I've owned in the past had a spec like that. Most generally called for a little toe in, and the spec would sometimes allow for a very small amount of toe out, like .06". Toe out of .2" will cause increased tire wear, and makes the car less stable, okay on a race car perhaps, but generally not desirable for a street car.

P.S. My local alignment shop only charged me $77.50 since the rear alignment needed no adjustments.

Last edited:
Was your car aligned properly when it was made by Tesla? You can make multiple responses to the poll.

I'm on my second Model 3. On my 2018 LR AWD, I didn't notice the poor alignment until the tires wore out at about 12k miles. The inner part of the tread was completely worn out while the outer part was at about half tread depth. The Tesla service center refused to even consider warranting the issue since I had 12k miles on the car, so I took it to a local alignment shop. Sure enough, the front had significant toe out, and one side on the rear was toed out as well. I know that I had never hit or bumped anything, and there was no reason that the car should have been out of alignment; I'm pretty positive that it was out of alignment from the factory, especially since I had no further issues in the next 60k miles of using the car before I sold it.

With my new Model 3 that I picked up a month ago, the misalignment is much more obvious. The car wanders and has little self centering. I noticed it the second time I drove the car. The only reason I didn't notice it on the drive home is because it was snowing and windy, and the moving around I attributed to the slick conditions. I made a service appointment for that and a couple of other teething issues, and the service center came back with a $372.50 estimate to do "General Diagnosis" and a "Four Wheel Alignment". I didn't approve the estimate since I think it is outrageous to have to pay for an alignment on a car that was obviously out of alignment from the factory, plus the price they're charging for the alignment is preposterous.

I brought the car in today and talked to the service manager. He said it is Tesla policy to not warranty the alignment since anything could have happened to knock the car out of alignment once it's out of Tesla's hands. He wouldn't even agree to just check the alignment unless I agreed to the entire $372.50 estimate. It only takes about 15 minutes to put a car on an alignment rack and do a basic check of the alignment, so that is patently absurd.

To me, this comes across as a scam. Over the last 5 years, I have read many posts here on the forum about people who have had misaligned Teslas, with the vast majority reporting toe out, that wore out the inside of the tires way before the outside. Tesla obviously does a poor job of alignment on the car at the factory, and then either charges a ridiculous amount of money for an alignment, or if the owner doesn't notice the problem, Tesla is happy to sell the owner a new set of tires when they wear out, and charge for an alignment then.
According to my performance alignment guys, this is a common problem with Tesla. Teslas are looked upon as a performance automobile. Even though I had no uneven wear, my steering wheel was slightly off center. I took my Model Y to a performance race car shop. These shops service the needs of track and street, factory race cars. The alignment was perfect; perfectly centered wheel and NO pull right or left. Much better than factory setting. I paid $265.00. Look for performance alignment centers in your area. Make sure they specialize on race cars! You won't be disappointed.

If you guys see a similar post of mine it's because I've lost it 3x somewhere! But I want to weigh in here with some good info. I took my Model Y to a performance alignment shop. The guys there said that many cars, especially Teslas seem to leave the factory with just passable alignments. Teslas are looked upon as a performance automobile. Even though I had no uneven wear, my steering wheel was slightly off center. I took my Model Y to a performance race car shop nearby. These shops service the needs of track and street, factory race cars. The alignment was perfect; perfectly centered wheel and NO pull right or left. Much better than factory setting. I paid $265.00. Maybe you can happen upon a shop like this in your area. Make sure they specialize in high performance race cars like Corvettes, Porches, etc.