Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla allowed to open Richmond VA location

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

bhzmark

Jul 21, 2013
Defeating a pathetic attempt by VADA the VA Commissioner concludes:

upload_2016-11-30_17-36-18.png

primarily based on:

upload_2016-11-30_17-37-11.png

. . .

upload_2016-11-30_17-37-52.png

upload_2016-11-30_17-46-6.png

below is the crux of the winning argument: independent dealers suck -- customers hate them -- and Tesla does it better and customers love them.

upload_2016-11-30_17-47-56.png

Excellent news all around. This should serve as amicus curiae support in efforts in other states...and I am sure the legaleagles amongst us can come up with a more appropriate term for what I just wrote.

Reactions: Lessmog
This is great news, but I'll admit that I did not expect the decision to fall this way. However, after reading the extracts of the DMV commissioners decision posted above, I'll have to say that I agree with everything he said. I believe his decision partially reflected the many inputs from Tesla owners who cited the great sales and service experience.

Unfortunately, I believe this is only the first (actually, the second) salvo in this fight. Expect to see this challenged in court. Also, it is understood that VADA has spent lots of time and money in the VA legislature. We need to keep up by contacting our legislators and state officials in support.

It isn't clear sailing yet, Tesla has only cleared one of the two hurdles. Tesla still has to get approval from the Motor Vehicle Dealer Board before they can open a Richmond store.

Here is the Electrek article.

True, but the Motor Vehicle Dealer Board can only make sure that Tesla abides by the rules for all dealerships and the northern VA store already has to abide by those rules. They can't prevent it if Tesla satisfies the rules and we do want Tesla to do so for our sake anyways.

It's the stuff on this page:

Virginia Motor Vehicle Dealer Board - www.mvdb.virginia.gov

• Love
Reactions: callmesam
As I recall, Tesla already acquired the property (don't remember if purchase or lease) and was approved through the local zoning commission.

I seem to recall it was in an area that had franchised new car dealers nearby.

Tesla released a statement saying the company “applauds the commissioner’s decision to allow us to open our new store and service center in Richmond, Virginia.

“We intend to swiftly begin construction to open our new store and service center at 9850 W. Broad St. and look forward to joining Richmond’s business community,” the company said.

Potential upcoming challenges nonetheless - this is AWESOME news - thanks to you, techmaven, linkster and everyone else who showed up!
Now, who's going to start the thread tracking potential locations for the new Richmond, VA store/service center?
They signed a lease earlier this year for the old Basset furniture location near Gaskins and Broad St.
Tesla finds its spot on Broad Street

Cheers!

Reactions: CatB