Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Alternative?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah I'm inclined to agree. I don't care what's under the hood. That's the service centres problem. Its all well and good Tesla only having one piece to replace, but seeing as that one piece seems to take them months and months to source, its all much a muchness.

I'm interested in real world driving of it. Daily use. That kind of stuff.

Reactions: yessuz and CWT3LR
Further disclaimer: Ian Wright cannot be trusted to comment on football players/matches as he used to play for Arsenal?
Yes. I ignore his opinions on Arsenal in the same way I ignore Micah Richards when it comes to City or Gary Neville when it comes to Man U
Didn’t he recently sell all his Tesla shares?
I bet he madr a fair few quid if he did, in part thanks to his role as a cheerleader for them

Reactions: CWT3LR
who the fcuk cares how many hoses, connectors and valves are there? You never look under the frunk section.

if system works, well it works.

I for example could think another angle: loads of connectors/pipes/valves means that if small valve fails, you replace that one valve, not the whole unit.
While it's working that's probably true. If it develops a problem and your local tech is trying to fix it that's where the fun will start.

Reactions: Exy1 and WyoDude
I tried ABetterRoutePlanner for my trip to the alps

M3 LR Aero wheels

796 miles, 1h30m charging, 337 Wh/mile 5-stops. Longest leg 140 miles 88% used [100%=159miles]

Mach-E Extended Range AWD

786 miles, 2h44m charging, 461 Wh/mile 6 stops, Longest leg 140 miles, 89% used [100%=157miles]

Charging speed definitely looks poor
You are using more than third more energy to cover the same distance so even if the charging speeds are the same you would still be taking 36% longer to charge the mach-e and spending 36% more on fuel. Its like comparing an ICE that does 50mpg with one that does 32mpg.

But on the plus side the Mach-E manages to do the same journey in 10 less miles which is impressive. Maybe it should have a crack at the Kessel run

who the fcuk cares how many hoses, connectors and valves are there? You never look under the frunk section.

if system works, well it works.

I for example could think another angle: loads of connectors/pipes/valves means that if small valve fails, you replace that one valve, not the whole unit.
Oh dear, we definitely need to agree to disagree on that then!

Reactions: WyoDude
I think BYD looks really exciting. People will say, “it’s an unknown quantity” and “there’s no infrastructure, what happens if it breaks down?” Well in the early days Tesla were an unknown quantity, infrastructure was very limited and the build quality was appalling. That didn’t stop the early adopters.

I think BYD will be pretty big here within 5 years.
You really want to support the Chinese communists?

While it's working that's probably true. If it develops a problem and your local tech is trying to fix it that's where the fun will start.
it will not be who is fixing it though. so why do you care about it?
I actually think that it is easier to replace one malfunctioning component that whole octovalve thing.

it used to be madness on every ICE car you owned. did you ever bothered about it?

• Funny
Reactions: WyoDude
on the plus side the Mach-E manages to do the same journey in 10 less miles which is impressive

:)

Two routes available, east and west autoroutes ... the slightly longer one has a modern Supercharger thus faster charging than the other. If I plan a route for an older Tesla it will take the shorter, slower charging, route ... 'coz quicker overall, and the new Plaid it will take the longer, faster charging supercharger, route.

For non-Tesla chargers, which are everywhere!, it favours the shorter routes in all? examples I've tried. But ... "will it be working" applies of course :)

If I do a route for Plaid (probably latest M3/MY too, not tried) and allow it to charge "anywhere" it picks an Ionity for one of the stops. That shaves a few minutes off the charging time ... but adds a few extra miles / time to the drive. Its literally a couple of minutes different .... next time we go skiing I ain't risking it :)

ABRP01.png

• Informative
Reactions: Exy1
The Supercharging network is overrated IMO. I've owned a MY for about a year and a half and only used it maybe twice? People use EA all the time without issue. Not as reliable as Tesla but not as bad as how this forum makes it out to be.

I am looking at the Rivian R1S, the new Porsche Macan EV, and the next BMW X5 EV in the coming years.

The Supercharging network is overrated IMO. I've owned a MY for about a year and a half and only used it maybe twice? People use EA all the time without issue. Not as reliable as Tesla but not as bad as how this forum makes it out to be.

I am looking at the Rivian R1S, the new Porsche Macan EV, and the next BMW X5 EV in the coming years.
yup.

most of the time you charge from home anyway

Reactions: bobbyjae