Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Ambassadors?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Given the limited coverage of Tesla Stores and Service Centers, for the areas in between, how about having a few local consultant/representatives who can provide test rides, evaluate the prospective buyer's residential charging situation, assist in the ordering and options process and then generally support a positive ownership experience with that customer?

Just (coincidentally) to use myself as an example - I am a semi-retired electronic Tech, very interested in EVs and have been eagerly following all the developments, particularly with Tesla. I am in the Spokane, WA area, the largest city between Seattle and Minneapolis and the retail and services center for a huge area of Central and Eastern Washington, North Idaho and Western Montana. Total population around 1.4 million, including some very upscale residents.

We have relatively low electric rates (down to 0.04/kwhr) and most of it is hydroelectric and wind sourced. There is considerable traffic commuting within a 100 mile radius of Spokane. Longer trips are complicated (Seattle is 275 miles), until Tesla builds Superchargers in Ellensburg and Coeur d'Alene, around 2014-15.

There are several Roadster owners in the area, although I have yet to see a Model S. (My ride in a Roadster strongly influenced my view of Tesla). There are some public charging stations at City Hall, downtown mall and a few banks.

With my Model S demo (hint, hint) I could be out there in the high tech/medical employer's parking lots and at the regional Malls showing off the car fulltime, answering questions and qualifying prospects for a ride, a test drive and a home wiring survey.

Surely all my referrals will quickly pay for the demo and I will continue on a small commission (hey, I'd work for stock), doing something I love and making some contribution to a better world.

This might be a way to educate people about EVs, improve the ownership experience and help bring on the great transition away from ICEs and oil.

Hey EVpro2, just got back from the PNW, was bummed I didn't see a single Tesla in Seattle, Portland, or anywhere in between! Still pretty rare even on the left coast I guess. The only Tesla I've seen incarnari is my own.

I've given a few test rides to co-workers and neighbors but haven't sold one yet. I'd love to be some sort of official Tesla Ambassador though!

Well You Didn't Look Hard Enough

Hey EVpro2, just got back from the PNW, was bummed I didn't see a single Tesla in Seattle, Portland, or anywhere in between! Still pretty rare even on the left coast I guess. The only Tesla I've seen incarnari is my own.

I've given a few test rides to co-workers and neighbors but haven't sold one yet. I'd love to be some sort of official Tesla Ambassador though!

There are plenty of Telsas in Seattle, just come to my neighborhood. Seattle is a great place for EVs with very cheap electricity 96% which is produced by hydro and wind. Less than 1% of our electricity comes from fossil fuels and there is only one coal power plant in the entire state, due to be shut down. Yes, we already have clean energy here.

There is a Tesla sales office in Bellevue which is just across Lake Washington from Seattle and a service center in Seattle. There are Telsas here for certain and it's the perfect place for EVs. Cheap, renewable electricity is available.

Love the idea, but not sure it could realistically be made to work ..

The key stumbling block would likely be for this to be something recognized by Tesla ... you're talking about different forms of compensation. Does that make you an employee / contractor / someone that causes Tesla to have to observe certain laws? (yes) If officially recognized, would Tesla be okay with anyone representing the company? (no) We're already excitedly sharing our enthusiasm for EV with family and friends. Would we lose some credibility if being reimbursed for that? (in some cases, yes)

Not sure how you get around these things.

My preference is for no recognition.

I already find some of the owners who overzealously "help out" at the Austin and Houston Galleries to be annoying. I can only imagine how much more annoying they would be if there was some sort of compensation available.

On the other hand, the guys at Cars & Coffee, who show off their cars for the joy of it are a pleasure to be around. To me, a huge part of what makes owners a powerful sales tool is the fact that they zealously advocate without compensation. Once they're paid, they're as credible as the DirecTV guy at Costco.

I already find some of the owners who overzealously "help out" at the Austin and Houston Galleries to be annoying. I can only imagine how much more annoying they would be if there was some sort of compensation available.

The only time I've helped out at a Tesla facility was at the Service Centre when there was a potential purchaser talking to the Telsa folks while I was there to exchange a UMC. He was very appreciative of the test ride and the chance to look at the window sticker. No galleries here, so I don't have experience with that.

I agree that any compensation makes whatever that person says lose credibility.

Hi all,
Personally I like the idea very much, but If I am not mistaken TESLA already has something similar in the form of so called Sales Advisors... i copy hereunder the job description for one such role:

For our Sales Advisor position, we are looking for a self-starter who is a highly motivated, flexible, personable, energetic and highly organised. The Sales Advisor will report to the Senior Regional Sales Manager for their region. The successful candidate will be crucial in the launching the Model S in their market. They will be responsible for introducing the product to buyers and influencers and quickly growing the sales footprint of Model S in their market. This person will initially function independently with the use of a test drive car and mobile office. Within ~6-9 months they will be supplemented by a small showroom and service centre.
Responsibilities

• Launch Model S sales and grow them consistently in a market that is currently not penetrated
  • Identify and develop opportunities to increase awareness and interest in the Tesla brand.
  • Assist with the organisation and implementation of multiple events supporting Model S sales in their market.
  • Undertake all possible effort to achieve all metrics and goals as presented by management.
  • Contribute at Test Drive and Test Drive Events with Model S reservation holders.
  • Present Model S by explaining design, features, warranties and services.
  • Provide timely response and follow up on inquiries in person, by phone and electronically over e-mail and CRM.
  • Research proposed events and analyse their added value.
  • Help drive business and deliver set goals through customer service, product knowledge, merchandise presentation and promotion.
  • Participate in the launch of future showrooms and service centre locations.
  • Direct media inquiries to relevant departments.
  • Maintain expert-level knowledge of Tesla products and technologies.
  • Represent Tesla in a professional and responsible manner when communicating with others both inside and outside the company.
  • Display professional appearance and demeanour.
  • Develop weekly, bi-weekly and monthly reports on customer feedback and delivery performance.
  • Escalate matters that require senior management concurrence in a timely manner to line management.
  • Perform ad-hoc duties as assigned by line management.
Requirements

• Excellent communication skills, both oral and written.
  • Ability to work independently and create a local network of sales prospects and influencers.
  • Self-starter who is entrepreneurial and can achieve results with minimal guidance
  • Automotive Sales experience strongly preferred
  • Ability to succeed in a dynamic fast-moving environment.
  • Bachelor’s Degree preferred. In lieu of a degree, relevant experience.
  • Customer-facing experience required.
  • Fluency in English required. Additional languages preferred.
  • Regards

Last edited:
My preference is for no recognition.

On the other hand, the guys at Cars & Coffee, who show off their cars for the joy of it are a pleasure to be around. To me, a huge part of what makes owners a powerful sales tool is the fact that they zealously advocate without compensation. Once they're paid, they're as credible as the DirecTV guy at Costco.

What is annoying about the owners who stop in and chat with people when they have a moment here in Texas with all the wonderful dealership laws? Tesla has nothing to do with them being there but the people I and others have talked too seemed appreciate to talk with an actual owners.
I agree compensation would mess things up and isn't needed.

What is annoying about the owners who stop in and chat with people when they have a moment here in Texas with all the wonderful dealership laws? Tesla has nothing to do with them being there but the people I and others have talked too seemed appreciate to talk with an actual owners.
I agree compensation would mess things up and isn't needed.
What I have seen from some owners:

- They join in conversations between visitors and Tesla staff.
- They answer unasked questions.
- They answer some questions incorrectly.
- They "pal around" with the Tesla staff, which just looks like friends distracting employees from their jobs.

Yes, our dealer laws are broken, and that probably requires third party intervention to facilitate sales. Still, my expectation is not that I would have conversations with some random person in the store. No more so than I would expect some Mac owner to start talking to me in an Apple store. To me, the ideal experience would be to have conversations with Tesla staff and then be asked if I'd like to meet an owner. If that's something I want, then Tesla can facilitate the introduction and then leave us to chat.

With my Model S demo (hint, hint) I could be out there in the high tech/medical employer's parking lots and at the regional Malls showing off the car fulltime, answering questions and qualifying prospects for a ride, a test drive and a home wiring survey.

Surely all my referrals will quickly pay for the demo and I will continue on a small commission (hey, I'd work for stock), doing something I love and making some contribution to a better world.

So you want a free car, followed by payment for showing it off to people.....Why don't you just apply for a job?... :rolleyes:

What is annoying about the owners who stop in and chat with people when they have a moment here in Texas with all the wonderful dealership laws?
Owners can be more pushy than salesmen, and that can turn people off. It can prove challenging for Tesla store managers to deal with that. How do you tell an owner to chill out because they are turning away customers... politely?

I'm a little paranoid about this when I hang out at/near a Tesla store to meet up with friends for lunch/dinner. (It's a convenient gathering point.)

- - - Updated - - -

So you want a free car, followed by payment for showing it off to people.....Why don't you just apply for a job?... :rolleyes:
Anecdotally speaking, I don't think they pay front-line (sales/managers) enough to afford Model S. :(

This might be a way to educate people about EVs, improve the ownership experience and help bring on the great transition away from ICEs and oil.

What a self serving posting.

I'm with Nigel on this. If compensation is your motive try applying for a job with Tesla.

The car sells itself and Tesla hardly needs sales people, just enthusiastic owners will practically do the trick.

Here in Florida we have over 200 club members, most of who have cars and are are happy to educate the public for no compensation. As Tesla knows if our club had sales figures they would rival the Tesla sales staff.

Perhaps its time to stop thinking about your own personal gain. Why don't you consider buying a Model S and educating the public out of altruistic motives. I'm sure your kids and grandkids will thank you for it.

Larry

Well I guess compensation for doing anything is "self serving" - right?

I'm just suggesting that the EV transition would come on a little faster if the cars were more visible and available in the large areas of the country without Stores or Service Centers. Even the Leafs and Ford EVs just sit on the dealer lots here, salespeople don't know much about them (esp tax credits and home wiring/EVSE equipment) and would prefer to sell you an ICE. They can't leave the showroom to demo the car more widely because they might miss an ICE sale. One of the local Credit Unions has installed fast chargers in their parking lots but they are never used since no one working there owns an EV.

Point being that there is a need for an educational outreach effort for such a new, different and disruptive technology. If I had a demo vehicle I bet I could sell at least 25 cars a year locally - that wouldn't be sold otherwise - and those would seed the sale of others. Seems like that could pay off the demo in one year.

The whole proposal just sounds like 'open new sales positions in different parts of the country and provide compensation of 'x' dollars'. This is no different.

I like how it works now. Tesla supplies a great product to customers who love it so much they convert their friends and family. Yay.

The car sells itself, indeed. I just came back from a week at EAA/AirVenture/Oshkosh (http://airventure.org/index.html) 500,000 people, 10,000 aircraft, and one Tesla driving VIPs around with a flashing light stuck on top. Vehicles are mostly restricted, so, my car really couldn't be missed. Still, there were clearly many people that had never seen (or even heard of) the model S in central Wisconsin. At times, it was a bit embarrassing. I charged a few times by plugging into the 50A outlet outside a hangar, parked next to a few vintage jets. I'd come back to see a sad and lonely F-86 while a crowd surrounded the MS, taking pictures and what not. When I had an open seat, I'd pick up the visitors and give them a ride. On the whole, the pilot community is pre-programmed to understand what its all about. They are used to the glass cockpit, trip planning, and fuel managment. Of course, the most popular questions remain, how far can it go? and what does it cost? ("starts at about $60K" is my stock answer). I wish I could track the impact on those I exposed to the car in one way or another - I'd be surprised if a few sales didn't develop. If I play any role in the success of this wonderful company than that is compensation enough.