Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Analyst Says Cybertruck Electric Pickup Truck Orders Exceed 650K

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

TMC Staff

May 19, 2017
If this is really the case, will Tesla ever be able to keep pace? How long will it take to fill orders? Tesla’s stock has been soaring once again, this time crossing the $1,000 share price threshold. This means analysts are dialing up the conversation even more these days. With the Tesla Cybertruck on the...
[WPURI="https://teslamotorsclub.com/blog/2020/06/23/tesla-cybertruck-order-650k-analyst/"]READ FULL ARTICLE[/WPURI]

I wish I got paid to make POOMA estimates. If he's right I won't see mine until 2025, I am so far back in the line and they haven't even announced a production site yet.

They really need a website to check out the credibility ratings on these "analysts" what evidence does anyone have to support this claim? Did Tesla just place an order for 5000 metric tonnes of stainless steel, or did they order 650,000 sets of tires, etc.... Tao of POOMA I say...

I wish I got paid to make POOMA estimates. If he's right I won't see mine until 2025, I am so far back in the line and they haven't even announced a production site yet.

They really need a website to check out the credibility ratings on these "analysts" what evidence does anyone have to support this claim? Did Tesla just place an order for 5000 metric tonnes of stainless steel, or did they order 650,000 sets of tires, etc.... Tao of POOMA I say...

The order you reserved has little to do with when you will get you vehicle. Tesla also build the most profitable and easy to build vehicles first. And even within that group of vehicles the order in which orders are produced is based on factors not visible to the customer. My guess the dual motor units will be first, the trimotors second, and single motors last, if ever.

• Informative
Reactions: gavine

With all due respect...

Relax! Take it from someone that lived through the Model 3 ramp. You'll get it when you'll get it and no matter how long it takes, the minute you take delivery it will all have been worth it. Two and a half years waiting for my car and lord knows it was hard waiting. Wouldn't trade it for anything now.

We'll get our trucks when we get them and worrying about it just makes it worse...trust me!

P.S. There's a reason I named my car Patience!

Dan

With all due respect...

Relax! Take it from someone that lived through the Model 3 ramp. You'll get it when you'll get it and no matter how long it takes, the minute you take delivery it will all have been worth it. Two and a half years waiting for my car and lord knows it was hard waiting. Wouldn't trade it for anything now.

We'll get our trucks when we get them and worrying about it just makes it worse...trust me!

P.S. There's a reason I named my car Patience!

Dan

I'm on my 3rd Model S, trust me I know. I ordered my first car 2012, cancelled that order and got the newer updated Model S in 2013 that came with folding mirrors and proximity sensors (never really use either), but missed out on the P85 painted Red Calipers. The Triples are coming first, they already announced that...

I'm on my 3rd Model S, trust me I know. I ordered my first car 2012, cancelled that order and got the newer updated Model S in 2013 that came with folding mirrors and proximity sensors (never really use either), but missed out on the P85 painted Red Calipers. The Triples are coming first, they already announced that...

Link to when they said trimotor is first?

215,000 - Maybe it's easier to make a CyberTruck, and more batteries coming soon!

Tesla clearly expects it’ll be substantially easier to make a Cybertruck.

Outside of messing with margins to drive demand, that’s the only explanation for a substantially bigger, heavier truck with a bigger expensive battery pack beIng priced lower...

Last edited:
Reactions: SOULPEDL
Two big points making Cybertruck manufacturing easier plus some speculation:
1. Durable, simple flat stainless panels compared to complex, beautifully sculpted but fragile aluminum panels. That trick cargo cover might be tricky, though.
2. No paint, no paint booths, easier post-assembly inspection (no finish quality to examine).
3. (Speculation): One single interior configuration.
4. (Speculation): Zero available options other than the battery size and motor configuration which will be linked, so really only three total vehicle configurations to deal with.
"You can have a Cybertruck in any color you like, as long as it's silver."

Two big points making Cybertruck manufacturing easier plus some speculation:
1. Durable, simple flat stainless panels compared to complex, beautifully sculpted but fragile aluminum panels. That trick cargo cover might be tricky, though.
2. No paint, no paint booths, easier post-assembly inspection (no finish quality to examine).
3. (Speculation): One single interior configuration.
4. (Speculation): Zero available options other than the battery size and motor configuration which will be linked, so really only three total vehicle configurations to deal with.
"You can have a Cybertruck in any color you like, as long as it's silver."

Reasonable guesses. One of the more interesting theories I saw was that they might have done away with the crumple zone and replaced it with an internal unit crash structure - put the cabin on a supporting structure that allows it to move relative to a rigid external structure, then restrict that movement with internal “crumple zone” elements.

I’m not sure how you’d comply with EU pedestrian friendly soft front end requirements that way, but it potentially makes the structure and assembly much simpler, while giving superior occupant safety.

You don’t need nearly as much precision in structural design and manufacturing and fastening if the truck body is rigid, and the extending crumple elements would be more easily designed and more easily replaced.

650K orders.
USA loves trucks.
If they didn't look so weird, might be over 1M by now?

And maybe in a few years people will begin thinking the CT is they way all pickups should look, and that the nearly one hundred year old pickup design we still have today will head for the dust bin. Never know. Weird is a point of view.

650K orders.
USA loves trucks.
If they didn't look so weird, might be over 1M by now?
Every snot-nosed high school kid with an allowance put an "order" for a Cybrtrk in at $100. How many of these "orders" will actually convert into a production order is the question -- I think a quarter of them is optimistic, and maybe a tenth if a real truck comes along that is more or less concurrent.

Bottom line, I think we'll see maybe 50-100k production orders and that this one will fall on its face if Hummer or Ford happens.

At that point, the question becomes how far the price can come down, if there's any demand elasticity by the real truck crowd at all to a stainless steel Honda Ridgeline or Chevy Avalanche (or Hummer pickup, for that matter...my understanding is it's a revival of the brand, but if it isn't, GM will also fail)....neither of which were accepted by the truck market as *trucks*.