TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Tesla and 60 minutes

Discussion in 'North America -' started by RAM_Eh, Mar 27, 2014.

1. RAM_Eh

RAM_Eh Member

60 minutes is doing a story on the model s this Sunday.

2. Jess

Jess Member

Is it a positive piece?

3. Discoducky

Discoducky Active Member

4. Blaze

Blaze Member

Usually enjoy 60 minutes. I wonder what the angle will be. Hope it is insightful and positive. Elon is dynamic. You never know where 60 minutes goes. The stock price can also be impacted.

5. MikeL

MikeL some guy

My first thought exactly.

6. StephenM

StephenM Active Member

60 minutes is a quality news program that takes their credibility seriously. Look what happened to Laura Logan and the producer of that piece on Benghazi. This should be really good and fair coverage about the company. Options buyers might want to pick up a few calls for the short term :)

7. Theshadows

Theshadows Active Member

My guess is they will be talking about the franchise laws, creating American jobs, and selling to other countries the best car in the world.

8. Blaze

Blaze Member

I would guess Tesla sales are going to skyrocket after thie airs... It is such a great car.

9. StephenM

StephenM Active Member

60 Minutes is not going to want to come across as an infomercial for Tesla Motors, so I would expect them to do balanced reporting and talk about the risks and shortcomings of the company/car (few and far between as we may feel they are). It will still be positive overall, IMO, but I'm cautiously optimistic. Tesla is production constrained for the near term anyway.

10. EdA

EdA Model S P-2540

11. JST

JST Active Member

Ask Audi about 60 Minutes bona fides as a quality news program.

The Best Of TTAC: The Audi 5000 Intended Unintended Acceleration Debacle | The Truth About Cars

Maybe the segment will be positive. I doubt it will be the hatchet job that 60 Minutes did on the Audi 5000. But I wouldn't count on a "newsmagazine" to grasp any sort of technical nuance associated with automotive technology.

12. BobtheV

BobtheV Member

Laura was effected because of of a huge outcry. If Leslie Stahl does the report I will be reaching for some Zofran. 60 min has been anything but balanced lately.

13. markb1

markb1 Active Member

60 Minutes has become a huge joke, with absolutely no journalistic integrity remaining. Just look at their NSA story, where they didn't bother to ask any hard questions, and they doted on some NSA employee who could solve a Rubik's Cube quickly. Pathetic.

14. GlennAlanBerry

Several of the top executives at CBS News are veterans of Fox News, so I am not optimistic about this upcoming 60 Minutes story on Tesla...

15. MarkR

MarkR Member

My bet is that 60 Minutes will do a follow-up of sorts. They did a show in October of 2008 entitled "Can't Afford the Tesla?" In which Elon discussed the yet unnamed Model S that would be less expensive than the Roadster and have swappable batteries.

I'd guess that they'll used Leslie Stahl again and contrast Elon's plans with the ultimate reality of the MS. If I were 60 Minutes, I'd hit all of the points on styling, speed, tech, comfort, and eco-friendliness, but also touch on the controversies. (The photo below is just a picture - it isn't playable).

Can't Afford The Tesla? - 60 Minutes Videos - CBS News

image.jpg

16. RAM_Eh

RAM_Eh Member

This was more about Elon than tesla. Commercials were misleading.

17. Enadler

Enadler Member

Actually for the uninitiated I think it was a great piece to spur interest. It would gave been nice if they touched on the dealer issue. It would have helped get the populace enraged.

18. Mobster

Mobster Member

I love the throaty growl of the engine on the opening sequence showing the Tesla zooming along! Wait....no...MY motor doesn't have a loud throaty growl. 60 minutes COULD NOT have dubbed that in, could they. OH THE HUMANITY!:scared:

19. mark

mark Member

Yeah - the engine shifting was a nice touch too.