TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Tesla and AT&T Multi-Year Car Connectivity Agreement

Discussion in 'News' started by viperboy, Jan 7, 2014.

1. viperboy

viperboy Member

2. Discoducky

Discoducky Active Member

#2 Discoducky, Jan 7, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2014
    At least it bumped the stock ;)

3. yobigd20

yobigd20 Well-Known Member

Isn't this news about 2 years old? We already knew Tesla was using AT&T LOOOOOOOOONNNNNGGGGGG time ago.

4. 100thMonkey

100thMonkey Member

sure wish they'd go with Verizon so we'd get coverage in remote parts of the state... the only reason I ended up on AT&T was to get the original iphone, the data and phone service got dropped a lot. since switching back to verizon, the service has been virtually uninterrupted and great all the way around.

5. CantaMia Ron

CantaMia Ron Member

Will they use 4G instead of 3G?

6. mrjohnlnguyen

mrjohnlnguyen Member

Let's hope we get LTE

7. markb1

markb1 Active Member

It's pretty lame that we don't get to choose our provider. But perhaps Tesla will be able to negotiate a really sweet deal for us with AT&T. (I'm not holding my breath.)

8. chickensevil

chickensevil Active Member

Yes this isn't "new" but it is a new contract... So they might have changed the pricing and the plans and such to better lock in what they will do when they inevitably start charging for the service to the customers (you and I).

I'm sure someday someone will look to hack their device to see if they can swap the cards in the car and force it over to verizon. Especially when they charge people for the service.

9. NoMoGas

NoMoGas Member

+10,000

10. Discoducky

Discoducky Active Member

I'm happy to keep paying $0 for 3G in the Model S and possible <$10/month on Model X for LTE if anyone is listening.

11. 772

772 Member

#11 772, Jan 7, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2014
    Lucky AT&T. First the iPhone/iPad, now the Model S/Model X.

In practicality, I don't even use the GPS that much -- only if I am going on a road trip to somewhere unfamiliar, and I don't have the time to look up anything about the location. Having a web browser in the car is nice... but again something I rarely bother to use in practice. Not something I would pay $15/month, and possibly on a c:rolleyes:ntract.

Even without the data plan, I would still get the Tech package.. it's not just about the nav usage.

12. strider

strider Active Member

If you last used AT&T with a 3G radio you will be pleasantly surprised by their 4G coverage. I find it superior to Verizon here in NorCal. 3G however is terrible. I realize that doesn't help us w/ MS's but will help future owners.

13. qwk

qwk Model S P2681

The problem Tesla will have with ATT is their horrible coverage. If you take a drive anywhere out of metropolitan areas using superchargers, there will be no coverage. Not many will pay for that kind of service.

14. sp4rk

sp4rk Banned

I'd pay anything to avoid ATT. Use Verizon now. ATT is stuck in the 1980's. If they negotiated a cheap contract, you know ATT will have skimped. We should have a choice. The car isn't cheap, I feel like Tesla is selling us out.

15. yobigd20

yobigd20 Well-Known Member

Yep. AT&T blows around here too. Disconnected calls allllll the time. I switched to Verizon. Haven't dropped a single call since.

16. Plug Me In

Plug Me In Member

I'm assuming AT+T is what we've had all along and coverage has been pretty good for me. I've driven through the sticks in south central VA and eastern NC numerous times and only lose my google map and slacker for brief periods.

17. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

I haven't found AT&T 3G coverage to be that bad. As anything, depends on where you live of course. Don't have a Verizon phone to compare it to though.

18. Chris TX

Chris TX Active Member

The month they start charging for AT&T 3G/4G in my car is the time I get a USB powered Verizon 4G LTE WiFi hot spot. I'll use that until we can figure out a way to hack/change the cell radio in the dash. It's killing me inside to not have already torn that thing apart to see the guts. I bet it's something as simple as a USB dongle that snaps into the motherboard. A boy can dream ;)

19. chickensevil

chickensevil Active Member

Given that they are using NVidia stuff inside (mobile platform) I would be willing to bet it is a low profile daughter board like it is in laptops. But it is also entirely possible that it is actually built into the main board itself which would mean no upgrade path at all.

Edit: If it is a card like this (which would not surprise me at all) then it would just be a matter of switching it out and activating the service
    http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=318-2386&ST=pla&dgc=ST&cid=262077&lid=4742363&acd=1230980731501410

20. Brett

Brett Member

Even if you could swap it out, the Tesla software could have code like this:

if (wifi == false && IsAttIpAddress(ipAddress) == false) {
    Display "invalid data path";
    return;
    }

Where they have a way of detecting if it's on the ATT network or not and they have protection around it.

In Los Angeles the ATT network is pretty good now. I had maybe 2 dropped calls in 2013.