TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Tesla and BMW in talks over batteries, light-weight parts

Discussion in 'Tesla Motors' started by aronth5, Nov 23, 2014.

1. aronth5

aronth5 Long Time Follower

#1 aronth5, Nov 23, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2014
    Not sure where to post this......
    "U.S. electric carmaker Tesla Motors (TSLA.O) is in talks with Germany's BMW (BMWG.DE) over a possible alliance in batteries and light-weight components, Tesla's Chief Executive Elon Musk told German weekly Der Spiegel."

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/tesla-says-talks-bmw-over-152730203.html;_ylt=AwrBT.JUhnJUVsEABwNXNyoA

2. pinguhk

pinguhk Member

3. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Active Member

4. bluenation

bluenation Member

would definitely love to see bimmer-tesla colaboration. i do think carbon fiber is the next 'aluminum', aka high strenght for low weight.
    altho my goodness, i3 is one of the ugliest non ICE cars ive ever seen (next to the Mirai...%&$ that shyt!)

5. drinkerofkoolaid

drinkerofkoolaid Active Member

"Tesla's billionaire co-founder Musk also told Der Spiegel that he expects Tesla to have a battery production plant in Germany in five to six years."
    Very interesting.

I remember about a year ago Elon mentioned something about how long over a hundred Gigafactories would be needed.

6. David99

David99 Active Member

I think that's a great thing that they want to collaborate! BMW will be a better partner than Toyota/Lexus who is obviously anti EV.

7. aznt1217

aznt1217 Active Member

That;s not entirely true. They want EV's but they wanted prius level volume (aka Gen 3). Also there's going to be an interesting link because BMW and Toyota also have collaboration projects going on. Because Tesla's IP is really a skateboard we have huge upside in terms of product development/manufacturing skill development for Tesla Motors.

8. Krugerrand

Krugerrand Active Member

This, I think, is the second time Tesla and BMW have 'talked'. That bodes well, but these types of collaborations/partnerships can take a long time to come to terms, they can amount from minute to considerable deals, or they can never happen. When the first talk happened, parties were mum and it was mostly rumors/rumblings, *a source saw so and so at dinner* etc... Recently, though, Elon has hinted on a few occasions that 'someone' has shown interest because of the release of the patents, and now Elon has provided a couple of specific quotes for the media. I'd say that indicates a much more likely partnership outcome, but still - let's wait and see and not get too excited.

9. Ampster

Ampster Member

#9 Ampster, Nov 24, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2014
    What collaboration projects does Tesla have with Toyota? The RAV4EV is done and the only "collaboration" is the coordination of service on the drivetrain. Perhaps I misread your post.

10. Kandiru

Kandiru Member

11. Electric700

Electric700 Member

The more companies that are on board with EVs, the better. It would be interesting to see if these talks expand into a full partnership between BMW and Tesla and new, better technologies such as even faster Superchargers with higher kWh rates.

12. aznt1217

aznt1217 Active Member

Nothing currently ATM, but during the Shareholder meeting (I think), Elon mentioned that Toyota actually wanted to order too much of a product that they couldn't fulfill which is why the relationship didn't extend. On the other hand... the more interesting part to me is how the BMW + Tesla dynamic would play out because we know that BMW + Toyota are collaborating on vehicle projects/technology.

13. pinguhk

pinguhk Member

The deal is off no BMW parts.

14. AWDtsla

AWDtsla Active Member

There was never a deal. **** journalism.