Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla and Japan

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Having read the article below, I'm wondering how sales are going for Tesla in Japan? Anybody got a clue - it's just out of curiosity to see how Tesla is perceived elsewhere (i.e. is it in the same realm as the Big 3, or do people see Tesla as being different or separate from the "traditional" group). Last year, when I talked with a bunch of middle aged people at a party in NJ they thought Tesla was an import and were really surprised that it's American.

America Last: On the Futility of American Carmakers Selling in Japan
http://blog.caranddriver.com/america-last-on-the-futility-of-american-carmakers-selling-in-japan/

Thanks for the article. It's interesting that Japan does not impose foreign car tariff while in China, you might have to pay up additional 40 percent.

It's true that people buy what they need, right hand drive, smaller cars that fit small streets...

Tesla does not advertise on TV and other media so I am not surprised when people haven't heard about the company.

It's true that people buy what they need, right hand drive, smaller cars that fit small streets...
Yep. I vaguely remember that some 50% of cars sold in Japan are under 600 cc ICE. I'll take a wild guess those people did not cross shop a Buick. Then you have the huge market that buy Civics, Corollas, and hybrids in the US. That demographic buys the same cars in Japan.

Remaining are upscale and luxury cars, and let's face it: domestic US brands are an also-ran in that segment in the US so it is not any leap at all to see the same is true in Japan.

Reactions: TrevTremaine