TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Tesla and Maxwell Technologies?

Discussion in 'TSLA Investor Discussions' started by teddyg, May 21, 2015.

1. teddyg

teddyg Member

#1 teddyg, May 21, 2015
    Last edited: May 21, 2015
    Hey guys,
    Just wondering if Tesla builds its own capacitors in house for the Model S or does it buy them in? I assume some capacitors must be used in such a large electronic device?
    Maxwell is based in California and seems to be a leader in capacitor technology.
    Also named after a brilliant scientist. Would be cool to see Tesla and Maxwell working together (or maybe a buy out by Tesla?)
    Anyone think Maxwell might have a supplier roll to play at the Gigafactory?

MXWL shares at a 52 week low currently. Maybe worth a stab?

I know Musk has said publicly that he feels capacitors will eventually replace batteries.
    I have also seen that some of Tesla's patents call for a capacitor/battery hybrid system being used.

Obviously this is further down the road but a Maxwell acquisition now could keep Tesla at the forefront of capacitor technology and experimentation while continuing to focus on batteries in the short/medium term.

From the Maxwell website it is clear that capacitors have a roll to play in the EV industry, stationary storage, solar, and space businesses as well so maybe picking up Maxwell on the cheap now could be a good move for Tesla, SolarCity, and SpaceX?

Maxwell Technologies Ultracapacitors, Supercapacitors, Microelectronics and High Voltage

Keen to hear your thoughts.

Cheers,
    Ted

2. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

3. teddyg

teddyg Member

#3 teddyg, May 22, 2015
    Last edited: May 22, 2015
    No I don't own any shares of Maxwell as of yet and wasn't aware of any Tesla-Maxwell rumours in the past.

I was just wondering if anybody on the board here knew if Tesla builds their own capacitors in house or does actually source them from somewhere?

Maxwell would seem like a good acquisition for all the above reasons I listed.
    1. California based with offices around the world.
    2. Long history in the auto, renewable energy, and space industries.

Just seems like a pretty good fit no?

Elon could get controlling interest for around $85 million at current stock price.
    His involvement would attract the best and brightest into capacitor research which may eventually be the long term answer to cheap and abundant energy storage. Elon himself was studying advanced capacitors at Stanford before he dropped out to form Zip2 and PayPal.

Again it all seems to add up to me.

Genuinely looking for some feedback here guys. I'm not a stock pusher.

Thanks - Ted