Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla and MyQ

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I finally got this to work correctly. I had to click into settings and then click the part that says "your current location is the location of the door" or something to that effect. As it is, when you just read that, it looks like it is already set... it's not until you hit that that the wording changes to something like, "don't use car's location."

In any event, that setting is very unintuitive. It would be a lot better if there was just a on/off toggle next to it like all of the other settings.

Works great now. The myQ door appears alongside the 3 homelink doors and, with the location set, the door closes with a single press and no beeping. I still haven't tried to see if I can link this account to our 2 cars and avoid paying the fee twice. Anyone tried this yet?

• Informative
Reactions: tdeno
Works great now. The myQ door appears alongside the 3 homelink doors and, with the location set, the door closes with a single press and no beeping. I still haven't tried to see if I can link this account to our 2 cars and avoid paying the fee twice. Anyone tried this yet?
I have two Teslas and both are linked to the same account.
I have Tailwind, which I have really liked, but my wife did not like the auto close feature because while it would alert you that the garage was close, the car would already be out of the driveway and down the street before it closed, and she always worried someone would be waiting in the bushes to run in the garage (despite the fact they would need to know you are about to leave, know you have a garage that does that, time all of it perfectly, but I digress). So she kept a clicker in the car to close the garage. She absolutely loves the myQ because if you click the "your current location is the garage door" while you are inside the garage, it closes 20 feet from your garage (which she loves. So even though it is very similar functionality to using the phone with myQ, it is on her screen, and she doesn't have to do anything extra for it to open and close...so we will keep the subscription after the free first month.

As a MyQ owner for several years (good product), I remind that for no charge we have the app on our phones to see status, open and close garages from anywhere (and video live view inside garage). We're happy using homelink for both out Tesla cars. No monthly cost.

Reactions: akidesir
No. It’s not just a dumb radio signal like Homelink. The way MyQ should work is thru the MyQ API. The API has a command for “open door” and a separate command for “close door”. Even if the car resends the open door command to a door that is already open, the door should not close because the MyQ device in your garage knows the state of the door before it sends the dumb radio signal.
MyQ's might have been better off had they simply used a "dumb radio signal." They way it's implemented, they keep track of the state of the garage door and only offer a "Close" or "Open" button based on the current state. The problem is that if you open the door with your old-fashioned wall button, the Tesla MyQ still thinks it's closed. When you try to leave, it doesn't offer a Close button (it still shows the Open button). So you have to press the only choice, which is the Open button. You then have to wait a minute for that to not work, then you are offered the Close button. However, when done in this sequence, the garage door will go through the flashing lights sequence before it closes.

If MyQ could accurately track of the door state, this would be great but till then, it's gets mixed up and is time consuming to straighten out. I'd suggest ONLY using the Tesla MyQ buttons to Open/Close the door and avoid your wall button. That appears to work better.

MyQ's might have been better off had they simply used a "dumb radio signal." They way it's implemented, they keep track of the state of the garage door and only offer a "Close" or "Open" button based on the current state. The problem is that if you open the door with your old-fashioned wall button, the Tesla MyQ still thinks it's closed. When you try to leave, it doesn't offer a Close button (it still shows the Open button). So you have to press the only choice, which is the Open button. You then have to wait a minute for that to not work, then you are offered the Close button. However, when done in this sequence, the garage door will go through the flashing lights sequence before it closes.

If MyQ could accurately track of the door state, this would be great but till then, it's gets mixed up and is time consuming to straighten out. I'd suggest ONLY using the Tesla MyQ buttons to Open/Close the door and avoid your wall button. That appears to work better.
Seems like a crappy implementation by Tesla because MyQ is aware of the door state. Whenever my garage door is opened or closed manually via wall switch, the MyQ app (on my phone, not Tesla) reflects the correct door state.

Very odd that Tesla doesn’t poll MyQ api to figure out the current state as you prepare to depart or arrive home.

myQ integration has a huge shortcoming for me. It doesn't work with my Liftmaster gate operator, which has built-in myQ. For verification, I've called Chamberlain and a nice lady informed me Tesla doesn't allow gate operator only garage door openers at the moment.
Yes, I received the same answer. But they told me, that it may be implemented in future... Maybe. I don't understand what is the problem. It works fine with the Android/iOS apps. Without supporting myQ gates it is not very useful for me.

I have not seen this behavior at all. I park my car outside and when I use the garage door to leave, I open it using the wall button. When I get in the car, MyQ is not confused and offers to close the door for me. 100% of the time.

One time I had it it spin trying to connect to the door to close it. I just canceled the action and tried to close it again and it worked. I've seen the same behavior on the app so I'm fairly certain it's not the Tesla implementation that caused the problem.

Quick question for you. Does your opener have native MyQ support or do you use the hub/bridge/whatever they call it to enable you to use the app? Both of mine have the MyQ support built in.

Reactions: Brian-MS90D
I have not seen this behavior at all. I park my car outside and when I use the garage door to leave, I open it using the wall button. When I get in the car, MyQ is not confused and offers to close the door for me. 100% of the time.

One time I had it it spin trying to connect to the door to close it. I just canceled the action and tried to close it again and it worked. I've seen the same behavior on the app so I'm fairly certain it's not the Tesla implementation that caused the problem.

Quick question for you. Does your opener have native MyQ support or do you use the hub/bridge/whatever they call it to enable you to use the app? Both of mine have the MyQ support built in.
That would be my guess as well... I have one opener with integrated MyQ, and one where I use a bridge. The bridge uses a tilt sensor on the door... The tilt sensor can corrode after a while and stop working reliably, or the battery could die, or both. Likewise, it won't register open/close until the section of the door with the tilt sensor actually tilts sufficiently. This makes it so there are several ways for the MyQ bridge to incorrectly detect door state. Even strong gusts of wind, can trigger the tilt sensor, in my experience...

However, my opener with integrated MyQ... Does not use a tilt sensor at all... It knows the exact position of the door, down to the inch, because it knows the position of the drive unit.

I set it up but the defualt distance is 1000m and havent found a way to edit that distance. think that is too far. have to test it out later today if it really works
So today the LiveKey app developer replied back after updating the app and now the Geo fencing distance is variable. I have set it up and tested it. Works great, very similar to the Tesla Homelink. Though I felt it was a bit slower closing or opening the Garage. but it does the job and i get a notification from the myQ app when the deed has been completed

Reactions: charlesoris
Would like to see other smart features linked to the myQ opened/closed state:

1) if the garage is closed and you try to open the lift gate from the app or the screen, you are asked to confirm. This is because many garages don’t have room for the gate to swing open if parked in nose first.

2) if the lift gate is open, and you try to close the garage using the app or the screen, you are asked to confirm. This is because the garage may close onto an open lift gate if parked in nose first.

Anyone else getting an occasional account error with the Tesla showing a red error message and being unable to control the door for a period of time after getting into the vehicle?
It has happened a few times to me as well. The last two times it popped up normally, then I assume when trying to communicate changed to account error.
Have to pull my phone out to close the garage then. As @gr2020 said, annoying.

It has happened a few times to me as well. The last two times it popped up normally, then I assume when trying to communicate changed to account error.
Have to pull my phone out to close the garage then. As @gr2020 said, annoying.
It's unfortunate that it made it through testing and was released with this issue. Of course it's not clear if this issue is on the Tesla end of things or on the MyQ end of things.

Makes it hard to justify spending the money on a subscription though.

If it was completely reliable I would have no problem paying for it. It is much less expensive than HomeLink for my car.

OK, I my new Chamberlain GDO with integrated myQ is installed. And, I have connected to my Tesla. Next steps is to figure out the best overall configuration.

Those who have had it for a couple weeks now, do you still have your HomeLink also connected, or did you delete it? Does it confuse the car or GDO?

Next, I ran into the odd behavior that Tesla attempts to keep track of state of the door. That is stupid, since it cannot know what has been going on in its absence. The product manager who designed with the perspective that no other cars or person might open or close the door was a moron.

I need to experiment with the distance setting to auto-open. It started at 70 feet, but that trigger is too close, since it pops up with the countdown as I approach, so I end up sitting at the door when it finally does open. I will probably at least double it.

I ran into the odd behavior that Tesla attempts to keep track of state of the door. That is stupid, since it cannot know what has been going on in its absence. The product manager who designed with the perspective that no other cars or person might open or close the door was a moron.

Have you seen the MyQ app have this problem? I have had a MyQ GDO installed since June of 2020 and not seen this issue. 5 people coming in and out through the garage door during the day/night and it has not lost track of the state of the door because the opener itself knows what it is.

I also have not seen the behavior you described in the car either. I come home and it asks to open and I don’t open it (because I park on a pad next to the garage). When I come home and the door is open, the button asks if I want to close it. When I leave it knows whether the door is open or closed and offers the correct response. Just like the app does.

Quick question, did you install an opener with WiFi built in, or use the hub that Chamberlain sells. That hub requires a switch of some type mounted on the door and I have seen that be a problem.

Have you seen the MyQ app have this problem? I have had a MyQ GDO installed since June of 2020 and not seen this issue. 5 people coming in and out through the garage door during the day/night and it has not lost track of the state of the door because the opener itself knows what it is.

I also have not seen the behavior you described in the car either. I come home and it asks to open and I don’t open it (because I park on a pad next to the garage). When I come home and the door is open, the button asks if I want to close it. When I leave it knows whether the door is open or closed and offers the correct response. Just like the app does.

Quick question, did you install an opener with WiFi built in, or use the hub that Chamberlain sells. That hub requires a switch of some type mounted on the door and I have seen that be a problem.
I got the Chamberlain with the camera and all the myQ stuff built in. The app works great. The issue is that I think the Tesla is not getting garage door state from myQ, but trying to remember it separately. So, if I open it with the car but somebody else closes it with a HomeLink remote, Tesla still thinks the door is open. (The myQ app would know it is closed.)

I got the Chamberlain with the camera and all the myQ stuff built in. The app works great. The issue is that I think the Tesla is not getting garage door state from myQ, but trying to remember it separately. So, if I open it with the car but somebody else closes it with a HomeLink remote, Tesla still thinks the door is open. (The myQ app would know it is closed.)
That's really strange. I have a Liftmaster, with non-wifi myQ built in, and a Home Bridge hub (the now-discontinued hub that would give you HomeKit integration), and I don't see this issue. The car always seems to correctly know the correct open/closed state of the door. I _have_ noticed that if the car thinks it's open, and then I close it manually with a remote, the car might take a little while to update the status, but it usually just seems to be a few seconds...

That's absolutely not true and I've tested it out to confirm.

I go to my Tesla with my garage door closed (normally when I go to my Tesla the garage door is open). MyQ on the Tesla shows the garage door is closed.

I then open the garage door from the wall control, not the Tesla app, the Tesla shows "garage door opening". Then after the garage door is open the Tesla shows that the garage door is open.

The Tesla 100% has real time state information about whether the door is up or down and this is the behavior we want, because it prevents the Tesla from closing or opening the door when it is in the wrong state... such as, you've washed the car and pull forward into the garage, the garage door is up, but with the old HomeLink system the Tesla doesn't know the door state and, thinking you're coming home, sends an activation signal to the door, closing the door onto the car.

This is not possible with the MyQ integration which is why it is far superior for most use cases to the very simple HomeLink system.

After using this for a bit, it's clear that there is some communication (providing location info) going on between the car and MyQ that accounts for various behaviors. Pretty much every day when I pull out of the garage, it will show a "close" button for a few seconds, then go away (maybe due to switching from Wifi to LTE?), and /or the app will show an error for about 10 seconds. If there is no error, and I press the garage door drop down (with no button showing). The opener will blink then close the door like I was using the phone app. If I wait a few seconds instead, the "close" button comes back, I can press it, and the door closes immediately. I have just learned to wait 5-10 seconds after I pull out for the button to show again.

I'm assuming this communication with MyQ is also what causes a delay in door status if it's been changed with something other than the car. The car definitely knows what it did last and puts that in the menubar. I have two doors at the house and if I used the car to open the other door last, in the morning it will give me the option to open that door even though I have opened my door from the wall and then need the drop down to close mine. I guess that is to be expected.