Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla and MyQ

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This would be awesome. I was contemplating upgrading my garage door opener to the latest Chamberlain with all this built in. I would never use auto open/close on the Tesla, because the car cannot know door state.... but with this, I would be all in for the total automation.

I have both, primarily because I had the MyQ before I bought my Tesla's. If you're OK with waiting while the MyQ connects and processes your commands then you'll probably be happy with it. I like it because it gives me warnings if I forget to close my garage door or I can let people in the garage from anywhere which has come in handy several times. I can look and see if it's open or closed at anytime from anywhere. I still prefer my HomeLink for day to day use as it's seamless and rarely fails on the first try. I like the convenience.

If you're OK with waiting while the MyQ connects and processes your commands then you'll probably be happy with it.
This is great for thought. I do not use the Tesla's HomeLink auto open and close because it does not know state (for auto open). Probably more than half the time, the door is already up. But, if MyQ could effectively do auto open as I approach, then I would love it. But, if it is a hassle and slow, then nope.

This is great for thought. I do not use the Tesla's HomeLink auto open and close because it does not know state (for auto open). Probably more than half the time, the door is already up. But, if MyQ could effectively do auto open as I approach, then I would love it. But, if it is a hassle and slow, then nope.
I can see that. Not an issue for me as my wife insists we leave the garage door closed when I'm not in it so it's always closed. And the way the MyQ works you have to open the app, issue the command and wait for it to process - that would get old quickly for me for everyday use. In your case turning off the auto open and just pushing the button when you see it's needed would be much more convenient for sure.

Yes, it looks like $200 total for 5years if you include the control hardware. Would actually be about the same if you kept your car more than 5 years. It looks like it will be fully automated just like the homelink though, so no need to pull out the app, etc. That method would be free ($20 only for hardware). What concerns me the most is what people are saying for delay time. Pulling up to a driveway, you would only have 1 or 2 seconds to execute the request or the door will not be open when you need it to be. Not as cut and dry as I originally thought.

Looks like I might spend the $19.99 to get the control, test it out fully using the phone, and if it works well, then just pay the $180 subscription cost. That way you are only out $20 if it is not reliable or fast enough and then you can go buy the homelink or simply bail and use the old opener behind the screen method.

Reactions: JonB65
I would agree, spending $20.00 to make your garage door opener "smart" gives you the ability to check if you left the door open and you can link the MyQ to your Amazon app to move your deliveries inside the garage and not left outside. When this integration with Tesla comes true, then test to see if it is worth the subscription

There may be other ways to trigger off of proximity, but most of those are notoriously hit or miss. Maybe with an Airtag? I did pick up the unit. It was only $19 at Best Buy but there were only 3 there and 2 left now. I bet these go like hotcakes once the holiday software release is fully launched.

I have two places. One with a dumb garage door that I use Homelink to open and one with a MyQ that I, currently, use the app on my phone to open and close (My homelink already has 3 locations programmed with my home and 2 work gates).

The annoyance with the MyQ is that it takes forever to close through the app. The light flashes and it beeps for about 5 seconds before the door starts closing. Other than that, it's pretty convenient to be able to open and close from anywhere. Our particular model also has a camera built in so you can see what's going on in the garage through the app.

Unfortunately, due to the limit of having 3 places in Homelink, I cannot use that for the MyQ opener, so I've been relying on the app. That said, if they plan on charging $179 for 5 years to use this... I think I'll just stick to pulling out the phone. I think it's dumb they'd charge at all given the functionality is free on a phone.

I think myQ is really shooting themselves in the foot here. If there was a completely free alternative to Homelink via MyQ, I think they'd stand to sell a lot more MyQ units.

Reactions: Plood and Sideman7
It appears they took something that would be great for people with myQ hardware (we have two openers and love them) and then ruined it with a subscription to use it with the car's interface. I was looking forward to this since my homelink is already full, but if the subscription is true, I'll just keep using the app on my phone (which is sitting below the screen anyway).

How did you integrate the myQ to SmartThings? I would love the details. I have smart things and just ripped out my zwave garage door opener as it was more PIA than automation. Constantly had problems with the door being out of sync and also communication Errors on the Zwave network. MyQ seems much better, mainly on the fact that the system know if the door is open or shut properly. Smartthings is notoriously poor at presence sensing to the point which a lot of people were using Life360 for reliability. Are you using a tag or something to trigger automatically?

confused, I have a tesla and open my garage with the MyQ app for free.
I have samsung smartthings and have a routine to auto open the garage when I'm close
now all this is free, why would I want to pay $200 or so????????????
The MyQ server for me goes down a lot. But aside from that, the main reason is that if something momentarily obstructs the door sensor, MyQ will refuse open/close commands from the app. You can still, however, use homelink to send open/close commands to the same door. Also, in cases of power failure, my chamberlain opener with integrated battery backup, will not connect to the cloud, even if all my networking gear is on battery backup. It will still function with homelink in this case tho.

• Informative
Reactions: RNHurt
Well, it looks like MyQ is definitely in the new holiday update according to early reports. Additionally, it doesn't look like it costs anything.

Someone posted this in the Software section of the forum. $45 per year.

Even though I can use the free iphone app, I think I'll pay the $3/month for the convenience of being able to use it in both of my cars (assuming my legacy S eventually gets the feature?), and I have more than 3 devices that use myQ (gates, a couple garages, MIL's house, etc), so the homelink capacity of 3 devices is a hassle. Since it will also do geofencing, it may be convenient. It will be annoying if it does the same thing that my phone app does, in that it flashes the garage door lights and beeps a bunch before it closes..